College Starter

Both defenses looking great so far.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #252
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, Dan Steinberg on the GB-WAS game:

Quote:
Best Defender: In the first half Sunday, it was probably the end zone pylon. After James Jones fumbled the ball late in the half, the pylon cleverly knocked the ball out of bounds, leading to a touchback and saving the Redskins’ defense from more damage. It was a play that came out of nowhere, a play that saved seven points and kept the deficit at least somewhat reasonable at halftime. The pylon didn’t even celebrate its performance, nor did it talk trash to Jones. For its performance, the pylon was given a game ball and offered a special parking space over the next week. Expect a run on “Pylon” jerseys this week. Man, I love that pylon.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #253
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think your beloved Cards should be okay this Sunday. The Lions have traditionally played very poorly on the West Coast (that's even in Lions terms, which means they've pretty much played horrendously). They haven't won in Arizona since 1993.

Even last year, late in the year, when the wheels had already flown off the Cardinals' wagon, the Cardinals pounded the Lions 38-10 behind the potent offensive attack of Ryan Lindley and Beanie Wells (helped, in large part, by Stafford's 3 picks and a Stefan Logan fumble).

whew! thought I was going to have come track you down if the Lions won after all this you told me. Until very late in the game looked like my beloved Cards were going to lose. And the Cards didn't even have Larry Fitzgerald on the field for that winning drive. Hope his hamstring injury is not too serious.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #254
RedKingGold
College Starter

Seattle O-line not looking so good. It struggled last week against Carolina too, IIRC.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #255
kingfc22
Head Coach

A Niners game with a long delay. What else is new...
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #256
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ray Lewis is already blaming the lightning on a conspiracy.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #257
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Ray lewis should not be on television without a facemask on.

Or a gavel in the room.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #258
RedKingGold
College Starter

This is a Pittsburgh-Baltimore type of game.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #259
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kaep has had good protection for most of his drop backs. Nobody is getting open though.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #260
RedKingGold
College Starter

Boldin has always struggled against big CB's who can jam him at the line, like Sherman. If Davis is getting good coverage, I don't think much will happen with the passing game today.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All class from Rice spinning the ball in the face of a defender lying on the ground.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #262
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
All class from Rice spinning the ball in the face of a defender lying on the ground.

Class and Seattle Seahawks dont' really belong in the same sentence.

The team reflects Carroll.

Last edited by Jon : 09-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #263
TroyF
Coordinator

Seriously, Collinsworth expects Pete Carroll to prevent his players from doing something that isn't classy? It hurts me watching these two teams. Two incredible teams, incredible players, individuals I like everywhere and two coaches I cannot stand.

Carroll is causing me a lot of laughter tonight though:

1) The 49ers didn't stop playing on the punt block. If your team did, it's your teams fault
2) Wilson didn't slide with his feet forward, he slid sideways and was hit in the shoulder. He played baseball, he should know how to slide.
3) Run the read option and the QB gets blown to hell. Did you miss the entire Packers/49ers drama of the previous week? The reports were the league sent a memo to every team telling them of the rules. He acted like a ball carrier and he got ripped. If you don't want it to happen, don't run the read option.

The one he absolutely has a right to go nuts over was the offside that was not called. Really horrible missed call there.

If I'm the Niners, there is no way I call a time out there. Really stupid.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #264
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's easy to say that with hindsight, knowing that he was hurt. At the time that is not something that registers on that type of play. He took a hit, held on to the ball and was pumped about it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #265
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1) The 49ers didn't stop playing on the punt block. If your team did, it's your teams fault

So the next time your QB gets crushed because a whistle blows and the defender didn't stop, tell yourself this.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #266
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
It's easy to say that with hindsight, knowing that he was hurt. At the time that is not something that registers on that type of play. He took a hit, held on to the ball and was pumped about it.

And cost his team 15 yards in a game where yards are at a premium.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #267
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And cost his team 15 yards in a game where yards are at a premium.

But the player being injured had nothing to do with the classiness of the move. That was an unknown variable at the time of the spin. That's my point.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #268
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So the next time your QB gets crushed because a whistle blows and the defender didn't stop, tell yourself this.

Usually, in those cases, the refs run in from the side fast waving their arms to protect the QB.

This wasn't "one" defender who didn't hear the whistle though. One team thought they heard something and 4 or 5 guys stopped playing. The other team didn't hear anything and all 11 guys went all out. If the whistle was so obvious, why did the center snap the ball? Sorry, at the end of the day, 22 players were on the field and about 4 or 5 heard a whistle. That wasn't as obvious as the announcers tried to make it out to be.;
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #269
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Usually, in those cases, the refs run in from the side fast waving their arms to protect the QB.

This wasn't "one" defender who didn't hear the whistle though. One team thought they heard something and 4 or 5 guys stopped playing. The other team didn't hear anything and all 11 guys went all out. If the whistle was so obvious, why did the center snap the ball? Sorry, at the end of the day, 22 players were on the field and about 4 or 5 heard a whistle. That wasn't as obvious as the announcers tried to make it out to be.;

It was obvious on the replay with the sound so it really has nothing to do with the announcers.

At worst it should have been a false start by the players standing up and moving before the snap and play blown dead.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #270
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
But the player being injured had nothing to do with the classiness of the move. That was an unknown variable at the time of the spin. That's my point.

I agree with you, he had no idea the guy was hurt. He also wasn't paying attention to the Niner walking in front of him. I don't think that was intentional. But spinning the ball when you know other players are even near you is the sign of a classless guy with a ten cent brain.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #271
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
It was obvious on the replay with the sound so it really has nothing to do with the announcers.

At worst it should have been a false start by the players standing up and moving before the snap and play blown dead.

I didn't find it that obvious. Nor did 80 percent of the players. Nor did any ref. I think the Hawks got exactly what they deserved there.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #272
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't find it that obvious. Nor did 80 percent of the players. Nor did any ref. I think the Hawks got exactly what they deserved there.

They deserved a false start penalty.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #273
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
They deserved a false start penalty.

Disagree 10000 percent.

Seahawks starting out big this half. If the Niners don't come out better on offense, this may get away from them.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #274
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Disagree 10000 percent.

Then what else is it when 4 players stand up out of their stance before the snap of the ball. Last I saw, that is a false start penalty. I didn't see an addendum to the rule that said, unless they thought they heard a whistle.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #275
TroyF
Coordinator

The replay I saw, it happened right at the snap of the ball, not before.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Kaep threw the pick in the end zone and the Hawks have taken control. Seattle puts six up here, this one is over.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #276
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Then what else is it when 4 players stand up out of their stance before the snap of the ball. Last I saw, that is a false start penalty. I didn't see an addendum to the rule that said, unless they thought they heard a whistle.

No false start because Seahawks were not in a three point stance.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #277
Logan
Head Coach

Props to Seattle. This was a good old-fashioned beating.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #278
kingfc22
Head Coach

Knew a win tonight would be a bonus and not the expectation. Niners need to figure out their issues in the run game going forward.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #279
RedKingGold
College Starter

Gore might need to be put out to pasture.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #280
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Gore might need to be put out to pasture.
Any chance Marcus Lattimore plays later this year?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #281
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Any chance Marcus Lattimore plays later this year?

Not likely.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #282
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The record for loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium was set yesterday. No, not in Kansas City:

http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks...223853621.html

Quote:
Seahawks fans broke the previous world record of nearly 132 decibels, set in 2011 during a soccer match in Turkey, then broke their own record - setting the new mark of 136.6 decibels.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #283
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know I have mentioned it before, but it is really unbelievable how loud it gets in that place. You really can't comprehend it until you have been there. Probably the best homefield advantage in all of sports when you also factor in the travel.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-16-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #284
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The record for loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium was set yesterday. No, not in Kansas City:

http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks...223853621.html

Pretty funny. Basically yell as loud as you can for a few seconds all at once. It's obviously not sustained, but I'm sure a few perforated ear drums were created in the process.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
whew! thought I was going to have come track you down if the Lions won after all this you told me. Until very late in the game looked like my beloved Cards were going to lose. And the Cards didn't even have Larry Fitzgerald on the field for that winning drive. Hope his hamstring injury is not too serious.

Have faith. The Lions will almost always undoubtedly self-destruct. It's their specialty.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #286
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Man, was amazing to see the difference in the Cowboys when the Chiefs got in front and started double teaming Bryant. Their offense went from good to abysmal in a huge hurry. Romo doesn't know where to go if you put two players on Bryant.

Also funny to hear all the comments on the telecast given the discussion earlier in the week:

"Chiefs crowd is playing a major factor in the game." - Tim Ryan

"Frenzied crowd atmosphere here in KC" - Chris Myers

"I wish I could have heard what you said, but I'm sure it was exciting." - Chris Myers

"We pumped the noise into our practice facility specifically to prepare for this atmosphere." - Jason Garrett

"My last trip to Arrowhead didn't end well. It was crazy." - Alex Smith

"Sorry, we weren't able to hear you during that highlight." - Chris Myers

And here's a list of the comments stating that the crowd noise affected the play on the field:
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #287
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

Talked to my uncle before they headed back last night. He did say it was loud, but nowhere near as loud as college games he'd been to. He was expecting a lot worse, based on the hype.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #288
Butter
Coordinator

The couple of times they flipped through that game on Red Zone, Chris Myers was talking about how uncharacteristically quiet it was.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #289
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

Talked to my uncle before they headed back last night. He did say it was loud, but nowhere near as loud as college games he'd been to. He was expecting a lot worse, based on the hype.

Absolutely. I'm sure UT's stadium was at least that loud this past weekend.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #290
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm sure UT's stadium was at least that loud this past weekend.

I'm sure it was at times, since it was the 3rd largest crowd in stadium history, with over 101,000 in attendance. Even when the team is playing bad, the fans still turn out. I realize that is probably a foreign concept to you.

But to get back to actual NFL discussions, this absolutely did not happen, as KC only got 3 hits on him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBF
Noise level really should help our d-line get to Romo.

For as much as they've been maligned, the line did a good job of protecting Romo. It appeared to me that his pain shot was wearing off midway through the 4th quarter, when his passes started going all over the place.

Last edited by cartman : 09-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #291
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But to get back to actual NFL discussions, this absolutely did not happen, as KC only got 3 hits on him:

For as much as they've been maligned, the line did a good job of protecting Romo. It appeared to me that his pain shot was wearing off midway through the 4th quarter, when his passes started going all over the place.

Oh, it did happen. They got three sacks, not hits. He didn't go untouched by any means outside of those three plays. Also had a couple of false starts which were clearly due to the crowd noise.

Regardless, a game the Chiefs really should have won and they found a way to get it done despite some surprising issues in the running game.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #292
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Oh, it did happen. They got three sacks, not hits.

My bad, he got touched a total of 6 times. 3 sacks plus 3 hits, which is less than the total of 9 from the game last week against the Giants. I guess the KC line was affected more by the crowd noise, since the Cowboys got to Smith 9 times, with 4 sacks and 5 hits. Each team also had 3 false starts.

Dallas Cowboys vs. Kansas City Chiefs - Box Score - September 15, 2013 - ESPN
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #293
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

get a room already
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #294
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
get a room already

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #295
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not trying to get to caught up, but the Broncos have a legit shot at 16-0.

Their next 2 are at home vs Oakland and Philly (good luck playing that pace at that altitude)

Their next 3 are at Dallas (could be tricky), home to Jacksonville, and at Indy (think Payton is going back to Indy and losing?)

They then get Washington at home, go to San Diego, then KC at home.

After that they have a tough stretch, @ New England and @ KC. Could stumble there

NExt 2 are Tenn and San Diego, both home.

The finish with 2 on the road, the next game is at Houston, where if Denver walks in 14-0 it will be interesting, thing is, the game before is Thursday night, so the Broncos have 10 days to plan. They finish at Oakland.

Do I think they will do it, likely not, but I think it is possible considering how they have played the first 2 games agains respectable competition missing their 2 best defensive players.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #296
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Their next 2 are at home vs Oakland and Philly (good luck playing that pace at that altitude)

Their next 3 are at Dallas (could be tricky), home to Jacksonville, and at Indy (think Payton is going back to Indy and losing?)

They then get Washington at home, go to San Diego, then KC at home.

After that they have a tough stretch, @ New England and @ KC. Could stumble there

NExt 2 are Tenn and San Diego, both home.

The finish with 2 on the road, the next game is at Houston, where if Denver walks in 14-0 it will be interesting, thing is, the game before is Thursday night, so the Broncos have 10 days to plan. They finish at Oakland.

Do I think they will do it, likely not, but I think it is possible considering how they have played the first 2 games agains respectable competition missing their 2 best defensive players.

Running game is key if you want to beat Denver. If you can control the clock and keep the defense on the field, you're going to win more often than not against them.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #297
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

That would give Trindon Holliday back-to-back undefeated seasons, as he's currently on an 18-0 run.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #298
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

You mean like this? Oregon Ducks vs. Colorado Buffaloes - Recap - October 22, 2011 - ESPN

(I realize college is a whole different animal, and I wouldn't expect the Eagles to fare that well.)
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #299
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Running game is key if you want to beat Denver. If you can control the clock and keep the defense on the field, you're going to win more often than not against them.
Denver's run D is pretty good though. I think with no champ, the way to beat them is to spread them out and throw (3-4 WR sets). I think a team with 4 solid WRs and a capable QB could score with them. Flacco did that to a point with no real WRs or TEs outside of Smith. The Giants just had such an anemic ground game and defense, that Eli was put in a tough spot. Their weapons were also suspect outside of Cruz and Nicks (who left with a finger issue for most of the early game).

Now, all this could change when Champ and Von Miller come back - they may be pretty much unbeatable at that point. Looking at their schedule, I see Dallas, Houston, Philly and maybe NE (if Gronk and Amendola are back) being the only teams that could give them trouble.

They also have the good fortune of playing maybe 2 top 10 "power rank" teams in NE and Houston. Their schedule looks super soft (then again, so does the AFC in general).
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #300
Logan
Head Coach

49ers NT Ian Williams is out for the year after that "legal" cut block last night.