Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #1451
MJ4H
Coordinator

Maybe to someone that didn't read the 30+ pages I've written on exactly that subject.

Seriously, I just give up.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #1452
rkmsuf
Head Coach

So your point is she's a great singer thus we should all worship her talents and be forced to be bored by her?

Now I'm confused.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #1453
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I swear Wade didn't send me a "virtual tag team" PM over the weekend, MJ4H.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #1454
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I swear Wade didn't send me a "virtual tag team" PM over the weekend, MJ4H.

haha
Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #1455
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
So your point is she's a great singer thus we should all worship her talents and be forced to be bored by her?

Now I'm confused.

No my point is you're an annoying troll and almost everything you post is painful to read.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #1456
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
No my point is you're an annoying troll and almost everything you post is painful to read.

don't get testy, doolittle lover.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #1457
Ksyrup

It may be painful, but at least it's short.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #1458
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
It may be painful, but at least it's short.

Hey, that's my motto when it comes to love making.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #1459
Ksyrup

OK, so on to something more productive. Like, our best guesses at what songs off the RnR HoF's top 500 list they should do this week. For Archuleta, I'm going with Like a Virgin and (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (to Party).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #1460
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Maybe to someone that didn't read the 30+ pages I've written on exactly that subject.

Seriously, I just give up.
I feel like you must not be explaining yourself well then - because every time you gush about Doolittle and Archuletta and bash on others, this is what I hear.

*shurg*

But for the record I will likely by Jason Castro's album - take that for what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #1461
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dat boy ain't right.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #1462
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Castro - No Woman, No Cry, Bob Marley

Mercado - Chain of Fools, Aretha Franklin

Cook - nothing stands out to me. maybe he could mess around with Dream On by Aerosmith.

Archuletta - insert song here. it doesn't matter.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #1463
Ksyrup

They'll be doing 2 songs each, BTW.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #1464
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
OK, so on to something more productive. Like, our best guesses at what songs off the RnR HoF's top 500 list they should do this week. For Archuleta, I'm going with Like a Virgin and (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (to Party).
For some strange reason I'd really like to hear Cook cover "The Weight" but to do the version by Travis from the Igby Goes Down soundtrack.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #1465
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
They'll be doing 2 songs each, BTW.

Oh for crying out loud.

Maybe they'll each take a song off of Doolittle's new album. I have no idea.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #1466
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can someone link a copy of the list that these people are supposedly choosing from?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #1467
wade moore
lolzcat

In all seriousness.

I would love to see Archuletta challenge himself this week and pull it off. Sing something a little rockier, a little more upbeat, and do it well. If he could do it just once - I'd turn a bit. In fact, be smart. Choose one song like this, do it first. Even if you go somewhat mild like Hotel California, I Heard it Through the Grapevine, or If it fails miserably, you have your shmaltzy ballad (Your Song?) to recover with.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #1468
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
"Last year I was really into it, and the year before that," said the high school freshman from Brookline, Mass. "This year in the beginning I was, but then track started up and I have a lot of homework. It's two hours long and I don't have the time."

She used to watch regularly with a friend. Now her friend records it and watches only occasionally, Bohrs said.
This is a good point. I saw a "reality replay" of the first idol season and the shows were much more compact. The shows only went to and hour and a half for the early shows and cut down to an hour much quicker. Also, the "vote off" shows were just 30 minutes.

AI going to the 2-hour format for most performance shows, 1 hour for the vote offs and the numerous "Idol gives back" specials and promos has really started to bloat the show. You really need a Tivo to watch it now - so I could see a lot of viewer just not willing to invest 3 hours over two nights (and even more earlier on) to a show that hasn't changed in 6 years.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1469
Ksyrup

The vote off shows should be 30 minutes, IMO. The performance shows, though, should vary. Having 5 people sing 2 songs each and run through them like they did the other night in 60 minutes - at this point in the competition - is ridiculous. Seacrest was like the FedEx speed reader commercial dude with the numbers. Why wouldn't you devote more time to the performances at this stage, rather than spend 2 hours on 10-12 people, half of whom won't matter in several weeks? Makes no sense to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #1470
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Can someone link a copy of the list that these people are supposedly choosing from?

This is the list, but it's likely they don't have the freedom to choose from all 500.

http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs/
Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #1471
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The vote off shows should be 30 minutes, IMO. The performance shows, though, should vary. Having 5 people sing 2 songs each and run through them like they did the other night in 60 minutes - at this point in the competition - is ridiculous. Seacrest was like the FedEx speed reader commercial dude with the numbers. Why wouldn't you devote more time to the performances at this stage, rather than spend 2 hours on 10-12 people, half of whom won't matter in several weeks? Makes no sense to me.

Agreed. I've always thought they should go to 90 minutes for the top 5 and then back to 60 minutes for the top 4. It is ridiculous how much they rush through the top 5 show every year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #1472
Ksyrup

DWtS doesn't seem to have a problem sticking with 90 minute performance shows all season.

Problem is, AI blows its wad on the auditions/Hollywood Week/top 24 every year. I agree that it's probably too much, but it's because of how much programming time the first 4 weeks take. Five months of 2-5 hours of programming a week is difficult for people to commit to.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #1473
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm aware that that is life. Doesn't mean it isn't disappointing.

Normally I try to stay out of these things (though you guys are keeping it more civil than most), but seriously? You're disappointed that people aren't automatically stuck in a rigid framework of organization that is governed specifically by their skill? Do you hate the underdog?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-05-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #1474
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Normally I try to stay out of these things (though you guys are keeping it more civil than most), but seriously? You're disappointed that people aren't automatically stuck in a rigid framework of organization that is governed specifically by their skill? Do you hate the underdog?

He's a band director, what do you expect? If Archuleta can sing the scales properly, that's good enough for him.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #1475
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is absolutely amazing how so many people can so spectacularly miss a point. And a simple one at that.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-05-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #1476
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is absolutely amazing how so many people can so spectacularly miss a point. And a simple one at that.

Well, upon consideration I think that it's more that you hate to see someone so talented go unrecognized by the masses...

...I think you could work on the delivery of your point.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-05-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #1477
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
It must not be that simple if practically everyone is missing it.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #1478
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, it does require some reading. I don't think I could have made it more clear. I just spent an entire page of dialogue with Ksyrup over it. It is frustrating to work at making myself so clear only to have someone come back and repeat the misconception I just cleared up. If you think I only care about singing in tune and that kind of thing then you quite simply did not read what I said. It could not be simpler. I literally just spent many posts making this clear. Literally just did that. I don't think I could work on my delivery, I think people could work on reading what I'm actually saying and not jumping to their own obviously silly conclusions about what I think. It is actually quite insulting, frankly. I didn't go to school for 6 years and work in the music business for 10 years and not have a fucking clue about how music works, you know.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #1479
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, it does require some reading. I don't think I could have made it more clear. I just spent an entire page of dialogue with Ksyrup over it. It is frustrating to work at making myself so clear only to have someone come back and repeat the misconception I just cleared up. If you think I only care about singing in tune and that kind of thing then you quite simply did not read what I said. It could not be simpler. I literally just spent many posts making this clear. Literally just did that. I don't think I could work on my delivery, I think people could work on reading what I'm actually saying and not jumping to their own obviously silly conclusions about what I think. It is actually quite insulting, frankly. I didn't go to school for 6 years and work in the music business for 10 years and not have a fucking clue about how music works, you know.

Is this essentially what you mean?

Quote:
In summary, I hope this explains my position him (which, in a few posts fairly recently, I think I've been pretty clear that he is quite talented vocally, performs quite well, but has not been as consistently outstanding as I thought he was the night he sang "Imagine."--If he could have kept that level up, he'd be running away with it at this point. Again just my opinion). As it is, I think he is still a clear cut 2nd place on this show in the final four.

If it is, then clearly where you depart from others (including myself) is in relation to what "performance" means. Perhaps from a pure musical point of view, David A's performances could be viewed as good but, from a layperson's perspective like my own, he's just downright boring since he does the same thing each and every week. I can appreciate that he has a good voice but that's about it really.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #1480
MJ4H
Coordinator

That is my position on David Archuleta, yes. That is not a summary of how I critique the musical performances on American Idol.

As for your assertion that from a layperson's perspective he is quite boring, that is fine. That is where our opinions differ. I don't find him boring at all (especially in his better performances, such as "Imagine."). And I do value being able to sing with a solid, controlled voice in tune a lot more than many people here (which actually boggles my mind, but whatever floats your boat). That is clearly not to say it is all I value, and if you think that is all I value, then you just aren't paying attention, period. And that is not my fault.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #1481
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And I do value being able to sing with a solid, controlled voice in tune a lot more than many people here (which actually boggles my mind, but whatever floats your boat).

Singing well is the equivalent of good defense in college basketball. You see it, you know it's good and there is a core group of people that will pound on the pulpit preaching the virtues of it, but in the end, most people just want to be oooh'd and ahhhh'd by Weird Al.

I'd pay to go to a Weird Al concert.

You'd have to pay me to see Celine Dion in concert.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-05-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #1482
MJ4H
Coordinator

Fine, but do you accuse people that actually enjoy Celine Dion of not understanding what performance is? That's the level of insanity that this conversation has sunken to.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #1483
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fine, but do you accuse people that actually enjoy Celine Dion of not understanding what performance is? That's the level of insanity that this conversation has sunken to.

No.. just a different level of performance catering to 2 different types of people. (for the most part at least, there will be a subset of people that like both) Arguing about it is no different than arguing about what Ice Cream flavor you might like or genre of movies.

In the end, I just realize that anyone that disagrees with me is wrong and I'm content with that.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-05-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #1484
MJ4H
Coordinator

A quite sensible post (aside from the last line, which is obviously a joke, but is essentially the way I feel people have been reacting to me--since I disagee with their opinion on David A I must have a huge misconception about music in general--no, I really DO enjoy his performaces on average, and some I have felt were great. As hard as that is for some people to accept, I do have different tastes than you do.).

This is basically it boils down to, though. I disagree with a lot of people who don't like David A' performaces (find them boring, stale, repetitive, sappy, whatever), plus I think he has obvious singing chops. These two things place him pretty high up in my book. It is really that simple. Thank you for being rational about the discussion.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-06-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #1485
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #1486
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
A quite sensible post (aside from the last line, which is obviously a joke, but is essentially the way I feel people have been reacting to me--since I disagee with their opinion on David A I must have a huge misconception about music in general--no, I really DO enjoy his performaces on average, and some I have felt were great. As hard as that is for some people to accept, I do have different tastes than you do.).

This is basically it boils down to, though. I disagree with a lot of people about David A's performances. Plus I think he has obvious singing chops. This places him pretty high up in my book. It is really that simple. Thank you for being rational about the discussion.

Matt - I know you don't seem to like it, but if NO ONE is getting it then I think you may need to look somewhere than EVERYONE ELSE as being the problem for having the "wrong conclusion".

Quote:
Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #1487
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Matt - I know you don't seem to like it, but if NO ONE is getting it then I think you may need to look somewhere than EVERYONE ELSE as being the problem for having the "wrong conclusion".

No, I'm fairly satisfied as to what the problem is at this point. And it isn't "NO ONE" and "EVERYONE ELSE." There are several here that have been quite rational about it and understood what I meant just fine. Most people that do simply aren't commenting, I'm sure. At this point, I'm quite fine with it if you don't understand yet. I could only ascribe it as a willful choice, though. But, really, that's fine, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Agreed.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-06-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #1488
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Daivd Archaletta is teh SUCK
Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #1489
path12
Coordinator

I'm not on the Archuleta bandwagon either but as a boss of mine used to say, that's why there's different color jellybeans in the bag.

Personally, I don't see how Castro moves on especially after the Entertainment Weekly article where he says he's 'kinda ready to go home'.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #1490
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Way to screw Cook over with the sound issues.

Edit : Hmmm... HD audio on the band is soft.

Last edited by Mustang : 05-06-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1491
sabotai
General Manager

Watching for the first time (nothing else is on). That first song was painful (Hungry Like The Wolf). It's good to see Paula Abdul is still insane.

Syesha is pretty damn good looking, though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #1492
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Is.....is Randy Jackson seriously sporting the sideburns look?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #1493
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I think Castro is going home. And his song is not even over yet, I just can tell.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #1494
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You need to be shot for doing Marley like that.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #1495
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

" I was thinking Bob Marley! "

Ahaha.. Man, Marley is awesome. Marley is one of my favorite musicians of all time, and watching that made me cringe... But that was funny shit.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #1496
sabotai
General Manager

That was HORRIBLE!

And Paula Abdul is on crack.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #1497
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Man, I am on the anti-arch fanclub...

But damn.. He nailed it.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #1498
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

and when there were like 16 contestants left, there were like 5 whereI was like, damn, either of those could win and I would probably buy a cd.

But looking at the 4 left, I don't think I would even consider buying a cd of theirs.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #1499
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Man, I am on the anti-arch fanclub...

But damn.. He nailed it.

I actually thought it got bad at the end. Maybe it was the song, but it doesn't sound like he has any range.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #1500
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

When you say end, do you mean very end? Because yeah, when he tried to reach high at the end he sounded like shit, but I meant he nailed 98% of the song