Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #4301
Atocep
Coordinator

The HBO documentary on Bishop Sycamore is incredible and a must watch.

That coach is a con artist, psychopath, narcissist, and it's stunning he isn't in jail. This guy sits down for multiple interviews for this and just shows how "off" he is and how different his reality is.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:35 PM   #4302
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Stake Land and Stake Land II on Prime. Solid movies, nothing great, but good escapism if you like post-apocalyptic, vampire stuff.

Better than some B grade stuff I collect so no complaints.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:23 PM   #4303
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a Stargate fan (not even the movie) but started watching Stargate Universe series on Prime and have found it compelling.

Not great acting, not great special effects, not great stories but they are interesting stories. They are essentially in an old alien spacecraft that they cannot control (essentially on auto-pilot), overcome challenges, and visit planets.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:54 PM   #4304
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
No idea how long the writer's strike will be but assume it'll be a while before new stuff is written for movies, streaming etc.

Last time this happened, didn't we get a lot of reality shows?

Pretty sure Netflix will increase foreign stuff. I'm okay with it, but they really need to tone down their Korean shows (except for their zombie stuff) and give others more shelf space.

I'm thinking 2024 will suck for new stuff.

Don't claim to know all the intricacies of the strike but assume there's a lot of people (non-writers, non-actors) who are not getting a paycheck during the strike.

So Bill and Drew wanting to restart their shows but making some concessions seems right to me. If more follow suit, that means the unions will have reduced leverage in negotiations. Interesting game of chicken right now.

Bill Maher and Drew Barrymore are returning to work — 'it’s all about greed' - MarketWatch
Quote:
Bill Maher and Drew Barrymore recently announced plans to resume their shows amid the Hollywood writers’ and actors’ strike — drawing backlash from union officials and public figures alike.

Maher hosts “Real Time with Bill Maher” on HBO, while Barrymore is behind the syndicated “Drew Barrymore Show.”

Maher, who announced his decision Wednesday, said in a post on X (formerly Twitter) that “it is time to bring people back to work” and that “much of [his] staff is struggling mightily.” But Maher also said that he “will honor the spirit of the strike” by not doing a monologue or his popular New Rules segment — in other words, elements of the show that require writers.

Barrymore, whose show resumes airing on Sept. 18, struck a similar tone. She said in an Instagram post earlier this week that her show “may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me.” But she also indicated that she will be in “compliance” with the strike terms — in her case she didn’t mention anything about writers, but noted that she will not be “discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind.”
Old 09-18-2023, 04:21 PM   #4305
Edward64
Head Coach

Just saw a trailer for Frasier (2023) on Paramount. Don’t think it’ll translate well to nowadays but rooting for it to succeed anyway.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:35 PM   #4306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sad to see Winning Time end. Would have liked more but it’s hard to keep expensive prestige type tv around that doesn’t get Emmy noms. Second season was really truncated but the one Bird episode was especially good.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:38 PM   #4307
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sad to see Winning Time end. Would have liked more but it’s hard to keep expensive prestige type tv around that doesn’t get Emmy noms. Second season was really truncated but the one Bird episode was especially good.

Some of these shows are getting killed by how spread out they are over streaming services. We're at the point where it costs far more than cable to keep up with most of the good shows.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #4308
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Some of these shows are getting killed by how spread out they are over streaming services. We're at the point where it costs far more than cable to keep up with most of the good shows.

This ^^^

When I cut the cord like 3 years ago, Hulu was $34.99 and few of these other places (other than Netflix) had anything. Now Huu just went up to $84.99 or something (with HBO included) and I'm paying for Netflix, Apple TV, and Paramount plus. Add in my internet and ($40 from AT&T) and I'm nearly back up to the $200 that Comcast was charging.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:51 PM   #4309
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm pretty lucky right now. I have T-Mobile and it comes with free Netflix, Apple TV, MLB tv, and MLS season pass. I'm grandfathered for the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle for $15 a month and I get back 1/2;by paying with my Amex. Somehow my Paramount account got messed up so I have free paramount+/showtime. And I got Peacock for $25 a year through December. Also have T-Mobile internet for $30 a month.

So for $40 a month I get internet/Hulu/ESPN/Disney/peacock/paramount. And I don't really count Amazon Prime as costing anything as the streaming there is a bonus.

Only thing I miss out on are braves games since MLB tv blacks them out, so I don't feel bad using free streams on Kodi.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #4310
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So for $40 a month I get internet/Hulu/ESPN/Disney/peacock/paramount. And I don't really count Amazon Prime as costing anything as the streaming there is a bonus.

That seems like a very good deal, what's the catch?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 08:56 PM   #4311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That seems like a very good deal, what's the catch?

The most obvious one I noticed was having T-Mobile
Old 09-18-2023, 09:58 PM   #4312
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Haha!

Slightly-on topic of cutting the cord, my trainer was talking about how her parents had a 'jailbroken firestick' that was the equivalent of those modified cable boxes that got all the channels in the 90s.

That was the first I had heard of such a thing, but I figured if my trainers' crusty parents could figure it out than I probably could. Just out of curiosity, I got a 4K firestick for $25 on Prime day and spent a weekend fucking around with it & taking a deep dive. You can potentially access anything on any streaming service, practically anything that has a torrent can be streamed instantly, and you can access to live streaming channels & sports from around the world. That comes with plenty of caveats though: Streaming copyrighted material is still illegal of course, and some of the optional graymarket services still cost money, just less of it. Quality can be questionable, the more niche the content the more the quality is a crapshoot. The interface is clunky. Setup is lengthy and seems like it requires some active management.

I don't think I could live with the various quirks to actually use it as my viewing source, but it was fun to fuck around with for a weekend.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #4313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The most obvious one I noticed was having T-Mobile

This
Old 09-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #4314
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Yeah, TMobile and Amex are currently the secret sauce for me. Also got a sling air TV when it was on clearance. It's a streaming box I have in my attic hooked to an antenna so I can get all the locals free over my wifi. This is just so I don't have little antenna all over the house. I assume it's going to melt in a summer or 2 as it's an attic in the South, but it's worth it for Saturday afternoon.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:00 AM   #4315
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So Bill and Drew wanting to restart their shows but making some concessions seems right to me. If more follow suit, that means the unions will have reduced leverage in negotiations. Interesting game of chicken right now.

Welp, looks like Bill and Drew both blinked.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:11 AM   #4316
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Welp, looks like Bill and Drew both blinked.
I think it is because all the sides of the strike have agreed to come to the table, and there seems to be some optimism. It would be stupid to burn bridges just to have the strike end a week later.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:18 AM   #4317
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm looking forward to further stories in the John Wick world.

‘The Continental’ TV Review: ‘John Wick’ Prequel On Peacock – Deadline
Quote:
Keanu Reeves’ master assassin may have been left for almost dead at the end of the fourth John Wick film, but things are alive and kicking in the franchise, at least retroactively.

Or, to quote Mel Gibson, who plays the manager of the “precious” hotel for killers at the center of the ’70s and New York-set The Continental: From the World of John Wick: “Son of a bitch, where’s my f*ckin’ shotgun?”

Unfortunately, I'm not on Peacock. If you are, let us know what you think ...

Quote:
With more than a nod or two to 2011’s The Raid, the limited series partially directed by Albert Hughes kicks bellbottomed butt in true John Wick style over its September 22-debuting three-part run on Peacock.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #4318
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm looking forward to further stories in the John Wick world.

‘The Continental’ TV Review: ‘John Wick’ Prequel On Peacock – Deadline

Unfortunately, I'm not on Peacock. If you are, let us know what you think ...

"Road Warrior" is one of my favorite movies of all time and I really loved a ton of Mel Gibson movies back in the day (Braveheart, Lethal Weapon, etc, etc, etc), but I just don't think I can watch him on screen anymore, especially in anything new.

He's just too awful. It's too bad, because the show looks promising.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #4319
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Mel Gibson is on the Will Not Watch Ever list.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #4320
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. Mel Gibson is on the Will Not Watch Ever list.

How do you feel about Mark Wahlberg?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #4321
Kodos
Resident Alien

If I thought about it much, he'd probably be on the list with Mel. But so far, I'll still watch movies that he's in.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #4322
Kodos
Resident Alien

A quick websearch affirms that I should add Wahlberg to the list.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #4323
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I was obsessed with Braveheart as a kid. Yeah, it's not the same anymore!
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #4324
Kodos
Resident Alien

I loved Braveheart. But I can't watch it anymore.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:56 AM   #4325
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
A quick websearch affirms that I should add Wahlberg to the list.

I just always found it amusing that Mel Gibson is effectively black-listed from Hollywood movies for drunken driving and racist slurs. Yet no one seems to care that Mark Wahlberg has committed racist violence or made The Happening. Which IMO is much worse than anything Mel did.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #4326
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mel also has domestic violence incidents.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #4327
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I just always found it amusing that Mel Gibson is effectively black-listed from Hollywood movies for drunken driving and racist slurs. Yet no one seems to care that Mark Wahlberg has committed racist violence or made The Happening. Which IMO is much worse than anything Mel did.

I have no time for either of them, but I think what helped take Mel down so much harder were all of the recordings and videos. It's one thing to read about an incident and quite another to actually see it/hear it (see, e.g., Ray Rice).

Of the two, I feel the loss of Mel Gibson more so, because I really liked him as an actor and loved many of his movies.

Other than The Departed, which Wahlberg is great in, I think he's largely ass as an actor. I guess he was fine in Boogie Nights.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #4328
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Related:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoHb0ziMDA

This dude does incredible work. He only has three videos up, but the other two (Steven Seagal gets choked out on set & Michael Jackson's hair catch fire) are even more in-depth, with interviews and musical numbers.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:03 PM   #4329
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I don't know if I could self censure based on the the actions of the actor. There may be some that are an automatic no, but you'd have a really small library of films.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:12 PM   #4330
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I don't know if I could self censure based on the the actions of the actor. There may be some that are an automatic no, but you'd have a really small library of films.

It's not that hard, really. I imagine it's quite subjective and based on different things for different folks, if at all.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:33 PM   #4331
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's not that hard, really. I imagine it's quite subjective and based on different things for different folks, if at all.
Agreed. I don't judge people on who they can or can't stand to watch. Mel was in so many great things that it is hard for me to say I would never watch "Lethal Weapon" or "Mad Max" again. But they are tarnished. I can't think of a Gibson movie I would go out of my way to watch, but I also wouldn't leave a party if someone had one on.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #4332
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Related:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoHb0ziMDA

This dude does incredible work. He only has three videos up, but the other two (Steven Seagal gets choked out on set & Michael Jackson's hair catch fire) are even more in-depth, with interviews and musical numbers.

this is awesome
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #4333
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Agreed. I don't judge people on who they can or can't stand to watch. Mel was in so many great things that it is hard for me to say I would never watch "Lethal Weapon" or "Mad Max" again. But they are tarnished. I can't think of a Gibson movie I would go out of my way to watch, but I also wouldn't leave a party if someone had one on.

Exactly. I saw Road Warrior in the theater when I was a 8 years old (my parents were quite lax). I have loved that movie since then, but I am not sure if I would go out of my way to watch it again. Whenver I feel the Road Warrior itch, I just throw on "Fury Road."
Old 09-21-2023, 07:13 PM   #4334
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Fury Road is a superior movie in all facets anyway.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #4335
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Elora's Dad episode of Reservation Dogs is so good. Most shows struggle with character development episodes, but they do them so well. There was basically no plot that mattered, but the character development was outstanding.

And Ethan Hawke is underappreciated.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:08 PM   #4336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Elora's Dad episode of Reservation Dogs is so good. Most shows struggle with character development episodes, but they do them so well. There was basically no plot that mattered, but the character development was outstanding.

And Ethan Hawke is underappreciated.

Reservation Dogs has been consistently my favorite show over the last few years. It’s remarkable.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:06 PM   #4337
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think it is because all the sides of the strike have agreed to come to the table, and there seems to be some optimism. It would be stupid to burn bridges just to have the strike end a week later.

Strike is over.

Writers Strike Ends: WGA, AMPTP Agree to Deal After 146-Day Strike
Quote:
Hollywood heaves a sigh of relief. The WGA and major studios and streamers have reached a tentative agreement on a new three-year contract that promises to end the 146-day strike that has taken a heavy toll across the content industry.

Negotiators for the Writers Guild of America and Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers reached the finish line Sunday after five consecutive days of negotiations. Day 4 on Saturday mostly involved lawyers for the guild and AMPTP hashing out the fine print of language around complicated and groundbreaking additions to the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement. The nitty-gritty details of language around the use of generative AI in content production was one of the last items that the sides worked on before closing the pact.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:21 AM   #4338
GrantDawg

Yup. Now it is just the actor's strike, but i think this agreement will likely make the framework for theirs.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:04 AM   #4339
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Do we know who "won?"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:11 AM   #4340
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Do we know who "won?"
No details yet, but my guess is they both gave ground but the writers would have "won." There is going to be some revenue sharing where there wasn't before, and a restriction on AI use where the studio's wanted none.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #4341
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Mark Wahlberg has committed racist violence or made The Happening.
Dang, I really like Zooey Deschanel, I guess that means I can't watch her stuff anymore? My wife will be real upset when I don't allow Elf this Christmas.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:36 PM   #4342
GrantDawg

Still no details, but the email sent from the WGA to its members makes it sound like they got significant concessions.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #4343
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I read up on Wahlberg and disagree with you.

Wahlberg had 2 separate incidents (blacks & Vietnamese) in the 80s when he was in his teens. From what I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong), there's not been any other incidents since then.

Gibson has been antisemitic as an adult along with sprinkling of other "off-color controversies". See below for his list ...

Mel Gibson says the Catholic Church needs some 'housecleaning' | Daily Mail Online

Neither are a must-watch actor (unlike Tom Cruise). I didn't think Braveheart was all that great.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-25-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #4344
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He beat the shit out of a random innocent shopkeeper because he was Vietnamese and left him blind in one eye for life. I'm glad he hasn't done that a lot since but I don't feel the need to celebrate him or brush it aside either. Just like Tyreek Hill it's better to commit your most serious crimes before you get famous.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:02 PM   #4345
Edward64
Head Coach

I read this as part of my research.

Mark Wahlberg gets pardon from the only person who matters, the victim Johnny Trinh | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Trinh, now a married father reveals he actually lost eye before attack when he served alongside US forces fighting Communists in South Vietnam

I don't know any charities he supports, but it would be good if he donated to some causes and personally ask his victims for forgiveness. As far as I know, he hasn't done that so that is also part of the story.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:05 AM   #4346
GrantDawg

Tom Cruise is a big POS than either. The things he has been involved with as the number 2 man in Scientology is pure evil.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:53 AM   #4347
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And Curt Schilling comes around the outside screaming anti-semitic rants!

He's about three interviews away from an, actually Hitler was good, rant.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:59 PM   #4348
GrantDawg

The WGA details have been released. The writers definitely won. Steaming residuals with the streamers having to disclose viewer hours and foreign inclusion. Restrictions to AI use, including the right for writers to use or refuse to use AI. Staff writer room minimums, not quite what they asked but still as many as 6 depending on the number of episodes. All things that the studio's wanted to be zero.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:49 AM   #4349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And Curt Schilling comes around the outside screaming anti-semitic rants!

He's about three interviews away from an, actually Hitler was good, rant.

Schilling is a steaming pile of shit for revealing that Tim Wakefield has serious brain cancer and Tim’s wife has pancreatic cancer.

Last edited by stevew : 09-29-2023 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:32 AM   #4350
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Schilling is a steaming pile of shit for revealing that Tim Wakefield has serious brain cancer and Tim’s wife has pancreatic cancer.
That is an incredibly sad. Wakefield was one of my favorite non-Braves.