Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2023, 12:56 PM   #201
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It must be ironic to Jon that Deion Sanders is the adult in the room when it comes to the response to the late hit by that Colorado State player:

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/s...85327504568384
Old 09-19-2023, 10:48 PM   #202
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Copied this from reddit. Buchner has a really weird career arc:
  • As a freshman in high school he only threw 37 passes and had 20 carries for 274 yards and 4 TDs.
  • He tore his ACL his sophomore year on the 4th play of the season and missed the whole year.
  • His junior year (over 13 games) he had 4474 passing yards on 66 completion % with 53 TDs and 6 INTs along with 128 carries for 1610 rushing yards and 28 rushing TDs.
  • He missed all of his senior year in 2020 due to COVID.
  • He was the backup in 2021 at ND behind senior Wisconsin transfer Jack Coan.
  • In 2022 he beat out Drew Payne to be the starter but injured his shoulder in game 2 against Marshall and missed the rest of the regular season. He started in the bowl game against South Carolina but only because Payne (now the backup QB at Arizona State) entered the transfer portal.
  • He lost the QB competition at Alabama to Milroe despite having the advantage of knowing the offense Rees runs ahead of time since they had been together at ND.
  • In his now third season of college he is 70-123 (56.9%) for 976 yards with 6 TDs and 8 INTs over 14 games with 3 starts. Also, is 83 for 468 with 8 TDs rushing.

So he has thrown 562 passes in games since 2017 (freshman year of high school) until now. 402/562 (71.5%) of those passes came when he was a junior in high school in 2019.

I was surprised that he went with Rees given he wasn't guaranteed the starter job. If he had stayed at ND, he would have been clear option #1 for next season and would have graduated with a ND degree.
Even easier to say now but I think it was more likely ND would have brought in another Sam Hartman (/Jack Coan) instead of starting Buchner. Or maybe even Minchey had passed him... idk, I don't know what happened after that Sophomore year of HS and whether it was injuries or the missed COVID reps but Buchner was always terrible. Decent athlete but not nearly as good as he thought he was combined with horribly inaccurate, I was very glad Pyne took over and he's not a real Power 5 QB either but at least he could hit Mikey Mayer when he was open.

We'll see what happens Saturday but I've loved Hartman so far, and not too surprised after seeing him at Wake. He's a little old, a little short, and not as dynamic as others he's just super accurate, reads defenses very well, and doesn't make a lot of throwing mistakes. (Pocket presence/ball security does need a bit of work.) I watched the guy the last two years losing the rare game at Wake when they'd score 45 or 55 vs Clemson or UNC, just really wish we still had a Mayer or elite WR with how good he's making also rans like Holden Staes look.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #203
bob
College Starter

I don't really pay attention to recruiting, but I did read somewhere that during the missed covid year he worked with some coach to rework his throwing motion and he has never been the same since.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:48 AM   #204
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina gets a head start on this week's action with a game tonight against Georgia State at 7:30 on ESPN. Probably a good thing because the weather may be iffy all weekend. Interstingly enough they have never beaten them at home and never lost on the road. QB McCall has also never faced them at home, and looks to be healthy for tonight's game.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:46 PM   #205
bob
College Starter

Again, stolen from reddit, but pretty well describes my thoughts:

"I love how this all started with "why shouldn't athletes be allowed to have twitch streams/be paid for NCAA video games/be able to do ads" etc. And it INSTANTLY (like within the first week) turned into pay-for-play, collectives etc. with some actual NIL compensation sprinkled in here and there. Now, a few years later, the (wealthy) institutions are ready to just do away with the NIL fiction and start paying them directly (courtesy of FOX et al).

Regardless of how you feel about player compensation, those NIL chicken littles concerned about NIL giving way to a slippery slope of direct pay-for-play were 100% correct."
Old 09-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The NCAA treated NIL the same way record companies treated streaming. Ignored it until it was too late.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #207
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Yup. The ball was in their court for years, and they could have made moves to have control of how things went for a couple of decades. Instead, they buried their heads in the sand while the sky came down on them.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:44 PM   #208
GrantDawg

Dola: and it was the deep pocket boosters that stopped them for doing anything all that time, and whose money is now pouring in to the NIL's.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #209
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's always funny seeing people complain on the Michigan board whenever an SEC school makes an NIL splash, then (and I don't know if it's the same people - I hate that claim) it goes unchallenged when people want to promote Michigan's efforts to put together an NIL factory.

I've felt from the beginning that this is a transition period. NIL as it stands now is easily corrupted and organized gambling is heavily involved, whether it's showing up on the field yet or not.

Too much money out there. And when nine million people tune into a late-night game on ESPN to see Colorado/Colorado State, that money is justified. We are a football country and major college football is second to the NFL.

These kids probably should be employees. Contracts, health care, even pension of a sort because health care for athletes is a long-term issue. The NCAA can't do this because major college football is 1% of its business and what works for major college football most certainly doesn't work anywhere else.

I get why they've buried their heads in the sand. Once the kids are employees, it's no long rah-rah-rah for the alma mater. It's something else. Maybe that transition works, too. Maybe it doesn't.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I get why they've buried their heads in the sand. Once the kids are employees, it's no long rah-rah-rah for the alma mater. It's something else. Maybe that transition works, too. Maybe it doesn't.

You could almost certainly go back quite a few years and find me here repeatedly saying some variation of "y'know what? screw it, just make them employees of the marketing department since that's what they really are anyway"

Tax 'em, drug test 'em, give them only the discounts that other employees would get for taking classes, treat them same as any other marketing department employee.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:32 AM   #211
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina gets a head start on this week's action with a game tonight against Georgia State at 7:30 on ESPN. Probably a good thing because the weather may be iffy all weekend. Interstingly enough they have never beaten them at home and never lost on the road. QB McCall has also never faced them at home, and looks to be healthy for tonight's game.

Sadly the magic wasn't there for them last night and they lost pretty badly. McCall was good,but he doesn't have enough playmakers around him. The defense was bad giving up 36 points.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:31 AM   #212
Ksyrup

I glanced at the stats and would never have guessed the final score. Not that they clearly should have won, but the stats suggested a closer score, maybe even a win. +1 on TOs, +30 on yards, 3rd/4th down efficiency was in GSU's favor but only 8-15 to 6-15 (hardly fatal), both teams punted 3 times, and despite being out-rushed, CCU actually had the edge in TOP (although 3 fewer 1st downs). Definitely doesn't scream 30-17 loss.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #213
bob
College Starter

I have a bad feeling that Georgia State is going to beat Tech to start next season.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #214
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a bad feeling that Georgia State is going to beat Tech to start next season.

Go Sun Belt!
Old 09-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seeing Tech play football is a leading cause of those sorts of feelings.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #216
Ksyrup

All I have to say is, as good a job as Norvell did this offseason in upgrading with transfers and some coaching moves (like upgrading the DB coach who was let go to Arkansas), his insistence on keeping Adam Fuller was going to sink this season for FSU. And that is proving true yet again. His loyalty to that guy is going to end up in this being a really good season instead of an ACC/NC-contending season. This is playing out exactly like I thought. Only positive I see is that FSU has proven to be a decent 2nd half team so they can still dig out of this. But Fuller sucks as a DC. He is the weak link.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #217
GrantDawg

Too many games this week. Need more eyes.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:40 PM   #218
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa wearing alternate Unis tonight. Well, wearing black pants instead of gold.

If you can legally bet I would bet Iowa plus the points and the under.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #219
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Too many games this week. Need more eyes.

Im already flipping and its the light part of the schedule.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #220
GrantDawg

Ummmmm.....I think that is a sideline penalty?
Old 09-23-2023, 02:38 PM   #221
bob
College Starter

End of that game was something. FSU play calling was like a 12 year old that only runs bombs in Madden. Clemson - not sure what that was.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:39 PM   #222
GrantDawg

Quote:
End of that game was something. FSU play calling was like a 12 year old that only runs bombs in Madden. Clemson - not sure what that was.
Bad. It was bad.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:40 PM   #223
Ksyrup

I will take it.

But Jordan Travis is clearly not right. I know he's got a left shoulder issue, but he didn't put himself on the line at any point, even when it was needed. And we still won.

This is why I like being the noon game. Win or lose, I can enjoy the rest of the games without stressing about the late game. It was a win-win for me today.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #224
GrantDawg

I like the Oregon black helmets. It made me contrast the other game I'm watching, and made me ask the question "has Alabama ever wore an alternate uniform?"
Old 09-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #225
GrantDawg

Ole Miss just carved up the Bama defense. If they don't shore things up, this is going to be a bad day for them.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #226
Kodos
Resident Alien

Go Oregon. Crush Prime!
Old 09-23-2023, 03:10 PM   #227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the Oregon black helmets. It made me contrast the other game I'm watching, and made me ask the question "has Alabama ever wore an alternate uniform?"

from al dot com

Quote:
Alabama wore slightly different “pro combat” uniforms for a 2010 game with Mississippi State. Unlike other Nike alternates that season, Bama didn't change much at all. The uniforms featured an American flag on the right shoulder pad and faint houndstooth pattern inside the front numbers.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #228
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas Tech QB just went down with what appeared to be a non contact broken ankle on his front leg when planting to pass. I've never seen anything like it. He got popped pretty hard on the previous play while running and got up a little slow, but nothing would indicate the ankle would just snap like that 1 play later.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #229
GrantDawg

This Oregon game might get out of hand.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:33 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This Oregon game might get out of hand.

From your mouth to God's ear
Old 09-23-2023, 03:33 PM   #231
Kodos
Resident Alien

Colorado looks like they learned how to tackle from Deion.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:37 PM   #232
bob
College Starter

I’ve always thought that it’s odd that as long as you touch the ball, you are allowed to absolutely destroy the punter.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #233
bob
College Starter

"They're fighting for clicks, we're fighting for wins"
Old 09-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #234
GrantDawg

The Ole Miss QB needs to get a better strap for that helmet.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oregon leads Colorado 35-21 at the half

That'd be points versus yards.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #236
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 09-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #237
bronconick
College Starter

Portland State had 200 yards and 7 points vs. Oregon in their 81-7 loss.

Can Colorado match them?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #238
Ksyrup

Something tells me Milroe is going to end up transferring to a G5.

EDIT: Although that was a nice throw.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:10 PM   #239
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Shadeur Sanders has 32 yards of offense through 3 quarters
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:14 PM   #240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Shadeur Sanders has 32 yards of offense through 3 quarters

The game gets an asterisk I'm sure since T. Hunter isn't playing
Old 09-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #241
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #242
Ksyrup

The cherry on top for Oregon is they get credit for a top 20 win.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #243
Ksyrup

Meanwhile on Fox, a commercial for next week's "biggest game of the year, Colorado against USC!"
Old 09-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #244
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bama is beyond ripe to have been picked ... but there may not be many (LSU perhaps) who can actually pick 'em

I'm honestly not sure they could get across the 50 against Georgia
Old 09-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #245
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess no more Heisman hype for Sanders?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #246
bronconick
College Starter

Oh look. Alabama is leaning on the defense and has a 39-21 run pass ratio.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Oh look. Alabama is leaning on the defense and has a 39-21 run pass ratio.

That was really all they had to figure out in the 2nd half, stop trying to throw the damned ball & run it right at an overmatched (even against a subpar OL) OM defense.

And bless him, Jaxon Dart doesn't lack for trying, he just lacks for ability.
But he ain't him.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #248
Ksyrup

What an amazing catch. And it looked like targeting on top of it.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #249
GrantDawg

Wow. He was able to palm that while getting nailed.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:55 PM   #250
Ksyrup

This is such a great Twitter follow.