Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My three days in the hospital

On Tuesday I was at my desk when I suddenly felt very strange. My right hand started tingling and when I went to my division chair to ask her to take me to the hospital I couldn't speak properly. I was thinking clearly, but the words came out as if I was mashing two words together. She called 911 and in a few minutes an ambulance arrived. The EMTs did the normal work up and got me into the truck, by which time I could speak again. The whole thing lasted five to ten minutes.

In the ER I went through a battery of stroke tests, but all my functions had returned to normal and there was no damage visible on a CAT scan or heart ultrasound. Over the next two days I underwent more tests, including a particularly nasty tube down my throat for a closer heart ultrasound. Everything came up negative and last night I was released not knowing what caused my attack.

I'm thrilled I don't have a hole in my heart or a tumor in my brain, but it's also very disconcerting to not know what happened. I spent my time in the hospital wondering about every slight head pain and now that I'm home I feel like I'm on high alert. I've even been a little worried about the spelling mistakes in this post. I assume that will gradually go away, but right now it's no fun wondering if my head is about to blow up.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Glad to hear you're ok. Sounds scary.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

goddamn jphililps - glad to hear you're okay, but yeah...that sounds freaky
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

There's far better ways to determine the impact of Obamacare on the health care system.

Glad you're feeling better. Might want to increase the frequency of checkups for a while, just to be safe.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
boberot
High School Varsity

Be careful Google-searching your symptoms / episode, if you go that route.

If you're anything like me, you'll convince yourself you have a half dozen godawful maladies.

Glad you're feeling better.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Happy to hear you are okay.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good to hear you're ok.

Hate to say it but it sounds like the start of about a half dozen episodes of House

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Glad to hear you're released and feeling better. Let's hope this was just a one-time thing and you'll be 100% in no time.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Be careful Google-searching your symptoms / episode, if you go that route.

If you're anything like me, you'll convince yourself you have a half dozen godawful maladies.

Glad you're feeling better.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
SteveMax58
College Starter

Glad to hear you're ok. It is very scary to not know what is wrong or what happened to you during a brief "spell" where you know you are just not right.

I had a similar experience (not the exact same symptoms) a few years back while driving home (coming from about a 2 hour drive). I had to pull over on the highway as I wasnt sure if I was going to blackout or wtf was going on. Went to the hospital and same thing...lots of tests and no diagnosis other than "stress" related.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

Scary -- keep a close eye on things and don't be afraid to go back in (even if you think you are imagining it).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Glad to hear you're ok. It is very scary to not know what is wrong or what happened to you during a brief "spell" where you know you are just not right.

I had a similar experience (not the exact same symptoms) a few years back while driving home (coming from about a 2 hour drive). I had to pull over on the highway as I wasnt sure if I was going to blackout or wtf was going on. Went to the hospital and same thing...lots of tests and no diagnosis other than "stress" related.

Same thing happened to my wife when we were driving, everything started shifting side to side and she couldn't see.

Glad to see you are OK J.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear you are ok. If this was a hypothetical case, I would hypothetically say this sounds like a classic Transient Ischemic Attack (sometimes called a mini-stroke by laymen), particularly if there was any weakness associated with the tingling. TIA's are brief attacks of stroke like symptoms that resolve on their own as the blockage clears spontaneously or collateral circulation takes over. I'd recommend that my hypothetical patient f/u with a neurologist and certainly their Primary Care Physician to talk about lowering their risk factors for further attacks.

Best of luck to you.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

Glad you're okay!

The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I only had to spend 1 day in the hospital, but had the same tests done (including the tube down the throat for the ECG heart view).

I had the same speech difficulty and crazy tingling in one side of my body. My tongue went numb and about 5 minutes later had the worst headache of my life - just on one side of my head. They thought it was stroke at first too, but all test came back normal.

So ultimately they diagnosed me with aura migranes. I've had one episode since then but nowhere near as bad (no speech problems for one thing), but the doctor did mention that I should probably cut back on caffeine as that can make migranes worse.

Of course, I am typing this from Starbucks, so...
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Glad you're okay!

The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I only had to spend 1 day in the hospital, but had the same tests done (including the tube down the throat for the ECG heart view).

I had the same speech difficulty and crazy tingling in one side of my body. My tongue went numb and about 5 minutes later had the worst headache of my life - just on one side of my head. They thought it was stroke at first too, but all test came back normal.

So ultimately they diagnosed me with aura migranes. I've had one episode since then but nowhere near as bad (no speech problems for one thing), but the doctor did mention that I should probably cut back on caffeine as that can make migranes worse.

Of course, I am typing this from Starbucks, so...

Man...when I get my migraines I find that caffeine helps tremendously. I usually take two Migraine Execdrin and down a 20 oz pop. Tends to make it liveable for me. I usually get one a month with probably 3 or 4 a year just grinding me to an absolute halt in everything I do.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Man...when I get my migraines I find that caffeine helps tremendously. I usually take two Migraine Execdrin and down a 20 oz pop. Tends to make it liveable for me. I usually get one a month with probably 3 or 4 a year just grinding me to an absolute halt in everything I do.

Same. I actually get the aura as kind of a tunnel vision thing -- it allows me to do the above procedure and most times prevent the actual headache part. I actually just got over the aura about 10 minutes ago after it starting around 11:20 this morning.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

The way it was explained to me is that caffeine constricts blood flow to your brain which if you already have a headache will make it feel better. But a lot of caffeine can have the opposite effect as it wears off, increasing blood flow to the brain and possibly contributing to more frequent migraines.

So he said that if you already have a migraine, feel free to use caffeine to help, but if you're a habitual heavy caffeine drinker you may get them more frequently.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i have always been told that caffeine dilates the blood vessels, thus if you have headaches dilating the blood vessels will enable things to start...flowing more smoothly again.

could we get an EF27 ruling on this? Or who's the GP on the board? I thought we had one...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Glad to hear you are ok. If this was a hypothetical case, I would hypothetically say this sounds like a classic Transient Ischemic Attack (sometimes called a mini-stroke by laymen), particularly if there was any weakness associated with the tingling. TIA's are brief attacks of stroke like symptoms that resolve on their own as the blockage clears spontaneously or collateral circulation takes over. I'd recommend that my hypothetical patient f/u with a neurologist and certainly their Primary Care Physician to talk about lowering their risk factors for further attacks.

Best of luck to you.

That's it in a nutshell. There was no weakness that I recall as I was able to keep shaking my hand like I was trying to wake it up.

I'm now on aspirin, although the neurologist and primary care at the hospital disagree on dosage and left it up to me! I was on Zocor at the hospital, but didn't get a prescription and I'm trying to figure that out with the neurologist. In a few week I should have a followup with the neurologist where I'll find out about the massive amount of blood work done to check on blood thickness.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, that sounds really frightening, I'm glad you're OK now.

Glad you're following up with what sounds like the right people.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow good to hear you are feeling better. I actually went through a couple years with issues from a nasty concussion. I would lose an hour or two here and there or suddenly not know where I was. It happened 4 times over two years. My wife would call it my getting stupid times. I went through weeks of test with nothing at coming back other than i should lose some weight. The other option was to check me in to the hospital for a week where they would not allow me to sleep and would try to stress my system out to see if I would go stupid again. So after wearing a heart monitor for a week, having my brain looked at and every other test known to mankind they came to the conclusion that I am overweight but otherwise healthy as can be.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That is scary stuff.. glad you are ok.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Eaglesfan has already been here.

No need to page Dr. House.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Glad you're ok man. That would probably scare the crap out of me too, especially if I hadn't been hitting the moonshine previously to having that happen.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Excedrin Migraine is the only thing that works for my migraines. Well, there was the other medication that was awesome, but it was something like $20 a pill, and at the time I was having them 3-4 times a week, so that was out.

I don't get them that much anymore. I've cut soda out pretty much completely as well as cutting my morning coffee from 4-5 cups to about 2. I'll still have times where I'll get them a few times over a week or two, and then they go away for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
now that I'm home I feel like I'm on high alert. I've even been a little worried about the spelling mistakes in this post. I assume that will gradually go away, but right now it's no fun wondering if my head is about to blow up.

That's how I was when I first started getting migraines several years ago. I had no idea what the hell was going on and was pretty much freaking out over it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I'd recommend that my hypothetical patient f/u with a neurologist...

I'm having a hard time understanding what this really means because I simply cannot get past what I initially though is said...

(Oh, and I'm definately glad it's nothing serious, JP.)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what this really means because I simply cannot get past what I initially though is said...

(Oh, and I'm definately glad it's nothing serious, JP.)

Sorry, f/u is doctor shorthand for follow-up.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's an f/u to you, too, doctor

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #29
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Wow JPhillips, that's really scary. Glad you're ok!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Sorry, f/u is doctor shorthand for follow-up.

Oh.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Glad to hear you're doing better. I agree with EF27.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very scary stuff, glad to hear you are doing well now and they found nothing wrong.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #33
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Best of luck to you.
Is it like a stroke in the sense that something is wrong? Or is this a random occurence that has no lasting effect?

Mini-stroke sounds scary too.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is it like a stroke in the sense that something is wrong? Or is this a random occurence that has no lasting effect?

Mini-stroke sounds scary too.

If someone has a Transient Ischemic Attack, they are believed to be at risk for future strokes.

That being said, there are a bunch of things this could have been including an atypical migraine. Most important thing is that JPhillips follow-up with his PCP and a neurologist which is what it sounds like he is doing.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #35
Drake
assmaster

w00t! Dr advising JPhillips to use PCP!

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Glad to hear you're doing better. I agree with EF27.

That's good to hear. I wasn't going to trust EF27 until someone else backed him up.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #37
duckman
Pro Starter

JP, glad you are doing okay.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Back in the hospital today for a second incident. Really depressing that I've been fine for almost two years and now I'm back to worrying about this constantly. I'm on a new drug now, Aggrenox, that's supposed to reduce clotting.

When I get back to NY I'll be back to the neurologist and my PCP. Shitty way to start Christmas break.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #39
lungs
Pro Rookie

Damn, hope all goes well for you.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #41
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Damn....hope it is something minor related to stress or lack of sleep. Wishing you good health.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #43
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, hope you feel better soon, and that they can figure out what it is this time!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Wishing you the best, hopefully they can get this in check for good!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #45
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They're pretty sure it's small blood clots from the artery in the neck, but they can't prove that. I figure I'll be on thinners for a while, maybe the rest of my life. I just hope I get to see my daughter grow into a woman.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My mother had a much more serious stroke when I was a teenager, and with appropriate treatment (i.e. anticoagulants and blood pressure pills), she is still doing well now. Good luck, I can imagine it is a very scary situation.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #47
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Best wishes J. As a father to a daughter I completely hear what you are saying.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #48
hoopsguy
General Manager

Very sad to hear this, JPhillips. Hopefully the doctors are able to provide some more clarity this time around than last time.

What would they need to do to prove their theory?
How big of a deal is it to be on blood thinners? Are you worried about that process, or the fact that you've now had two episodes in the past two years?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

+1
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They're pretty sure it's small blood clots from the artery in the neck, but they can't prove that. I figure I'll be on thinners for a while, maybe the rest of my life. I just hope I get to see my daughter grow into a woman.

Sounds like you're on top of this & aren't doing the most dangerous thing of all: ignoring it. I'd think that improves your odds exponentially.

If you're gonna check out early, I'd want it to be from something like apoplexy to an extreme conservative revolution, not some b.s. like this () so do what you gotta & keep this under control, then live long & prosper.