Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Interviewing via Skype

As the thread title suggests, I've an interview via Skype next week, and it's something I've never done before. I downloaded the Skype app to my tablet and will use that. Since FOFC was so helpful with the behavioral interview, I figured I would ask if anyone has any tips for how to handle a Skype interview with what I'm guessing will be 3 people.

The questions should be fairly easy to prepare for - current and prior work history, interest in the new field, and our old friend the behavioral questions segment. It's just the methodology of the interview I'm a little uncertain of how I should handle.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Make sure you aren't multitasking with Chat Roulette. It was really awkward when I started masturbating during the interview.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, the hardest part I had was focus. It's like acting on camera, the smallest eye and body movements read. Also, practice the setup and frame of your shot. Make sure you know what the background looks like and make sure it looks pleasing and minimally distracting.

If you have pets and it's a home interview, lock them up and make sure they are quiet.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Hmm. My background options in my apartment are basically bookshelves or bare white walls. I'm thinking I should perhaps use my on-campus office to do the interview instead.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

JPhillips has it. I would mainly recommend you also take a look at making your Skype location either a) somewhat bland and/or b) somewhat professional.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you have access to an office I'd use that. But bookshelves as a backdrop should be fine too.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I did it once.

Make sure you are in a room that the light works well with Skype, do a test run. also make sure you are looking into the camera, not around the room.

As Jphillips said, make sure there can be no disctactions and make sure you have a reliable internet connection, with a backup if needed.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wireless connection will not provide a great experience with Skype, it will be decent.

Of course, proper lighting and at your office on campus would be best.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks, folks. This is all incredibly helpful.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Blackadar
Retired

Wear pants.

Seriously.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I would make sure you approach your appearance just like you would in a professional interview. Make sure you make eye contact with the different people you are talking to, don't just talk to the camera. Make sure the lighting is good. Test your connection, if possible, prior to the interview.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I did an interview once while I was overseas, which was a challenge just with the time difference. I would almost suggest practicing with the camera on at some point where you can see yourself. Practice not looking at yourself put looking at the camera. (although I would look at the screen when they talked so I could understand clearly) It also gives you a chance to make sure you are sitting somewhere where they can see you clearly, and you aren't too close.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ive never done a job interview but did a client interview/proposal review recently on skype. The biggest issue I ran into was volume control. The other user had a sub par mic setup and I struggled early. I managed to get my external speakers working mid stream and could crank the volume to where it was easy to hear and it went a lot smoother.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I sometimes conduct interviews via Skype and it's not a great experience (at least partly my fault as the interviewer). I generally find it harder to get engaged and it doesn't help when the interviewee ends up starting at the screen rather than the camera. On my end, it comes off as a distinct lack of eye contact.

Make sure the sound works fine as well and you should probably take the time to make sure the other side does hear you ok right from the start. Most important is going to be the connection ... if it's choppy, the interview is going to suck.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

There were a few technical glitches that came up, but they were fairly easily remedied. I find out next week what the results are.