Home

Rugby Challenge

This is a discussion on Rugby Challenge within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16
Rugby Challenge

Quote:
Footy fever to ignite rugby release

CLAIRE MCENTEE - BusinessDay.co.nz

GAME ON: Andrew Stairs, one of Sidhe's artists, working on the likenesses of rugby players which will be used in a rugby game released next year.

Wellington's Sidhe is developing a rugby game due for release around the time of the World Cup.
It believes the footy fever set to grip the country and hundreds of millions of overseas viewers could make the title its most successful yet.
Managing director Mario Wynands said Rugby Challenge would be available for PCs and most game consoles, and would feature players and teams from the All Blacks, ITM Cup and Super Rugby competition.
The game's players would be able to play each other online – including people in different countries – and create their own rugby players and competitions. Rugby Challenge would also have a multi-year franchise mode so players could develop a team over several years, and "real-time dynamic commentary" voiced by well-known commentators.
The title will be distributed by Sydney-based Home Entertainment Suppliers, for which Sidhe has previously developed rugby league games.
Under development since late last year, Rugby Challenge is one of the biggest projects in dollar terms the 120-person firm has worked on. Mr Wynands said it had been several years since the last rugby union game had been released and none had been developed for the latest generation of consoles. "Other publishers who have worked in that [sport] space such as Electronic Arts don't seem to be supporting smaller sports codes such as cricket and rugby which seems crazy when you consider how big those audiences are."
HES paid Sidhe an up-front development fee and Sidhe would receive royalties on sales. "There is potential there for us to see significant financial reward if the game takes off internationally.
"With the timing especially and the World Cup being here, everything is aligning to make it an amazing opportunity. We're hoping we can make it one of our best games ever, if not the best game that we have created."
The International Rugby Board's head of the Rugby World Cup, Kit McConnell, has said the tournament will bring 85,000 visitors to New Zealand in addition to vast numbers of international television viewers.
Mr Wynands said about 50 staff were working on the game, ensuring it was as polished as possible.
"We're certainly hoping the game is well-received creatively, lest we be kicked out of the country for messing up the national sport."
See rugbychallengegame.com.
Looks like 2 rugby games next year.

Although Sidhe's previous games haven't been the greatest, those player models look pretty decent and have me excited for this one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Rugby Challenge

Yeah league games been average ay stizz my brother, especially rugby league live, looks like ps1 graphics, but hopefully these rugby games are mean ay my brother, looks like afoa, mealamu, vito, and flynn n da screen shot with rocket man ay my brother
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Any news on season modes, commentary, licenses?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Community Manager - Sidhe

OVR: 8

JONAH LOMU RETURNS TO VIDEOGAMES IN RUGBY CHALLENGE

All Blacks Rugby legend lends name, likeness, and expertise to videogame

SYDNEY, Australia – December 6, 2010 – Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) announced today that rugby legend Jonah Lomu will appear in the Rugby Challenge console and PC game. The appearance will mark the first time Lomu has appeared in a videogame in over a decade.

“HES is pulling out all the stops to make Rugby Challenge an exciting and memorable experience” said David Robles, Business Development Manager for HES. “Jonah is one of rugby’s greats, and will bring an extra something special to the game”.

In addition to including his name, likeness, and motion in the game, Lomu will also bring his experience and expertise into the development process by working directly with Sidhe, the Wellington based studio behind the game.

“I’m a big fan of videogames and being involved in making Rugby Challenge is a great experience,” said Jonah Lomu.

Rugby Challenge will release for consoles and PC in Q3 2011.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
MVP

stizz's Arena

I don't know if anyone else is interested in this game but I thought I'd post it anyways. Here are some stadium screenshots which have been released.

Looking and sounding pretty impressive so far. There are more details on the site but I can't copy it from my phone.

Here's the link.

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/0...ing-the-crowd/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Banned

bulls23's Arena

OVR: 20

Looking fantastic. Crowd details remind me of MLB The Show (individual motion and apparel). Better be coming to the states!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Keeping an eye on this one as so far it looks like the better of the two games being released.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
MVP

stizz's Arena

New pics. Looks absolutely sick!

Last edited by stizz; 06-07-2011 at 02:31 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »