Home

Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look

This is a discussion on Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look

Last week, while browsing the Playstation Network Store, a new sports title caught my eye: Don Bradman’s Cricket 14. I was not only surprised to see a cricket game on the US PSN, but also by the fact that it appeared to be a full-featured, non-indy title. With the knowledge that cricket is a distant ancestor of baseball (my favorite sport), I decided to give this title a try.

Before reading my experiences, please keep in mind that this a review in structure only. Sure, I’ll give you the good, bad, and ugly, as well as offer buying recommendations at the end. But I am hardly a cricket expert. Basically, this is one baseball fan’s take on Don Bradman’s Cricket 14.

Read More - Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look
Platform: PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Regarding what realistic scores are, for 20/20 games, anything above about 170 is a good score, anything above 200 is great. The record score in real life is about 280 IIRC. For a 50 over game, 300 is a great score, the record is about 430. For 5 day matches no-one really scores more than 600 very often, because it takes too long to leave a realistic chance of winning. The record (internationally) is 952 though, and about 1100 overall.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6
This is funny because im from australia and this just sounds like me when i picked up the first baseball game with mlb the show 09 on ps2.

and to correct you it is not an indie title but the budget for this game in minimal. not even close to a AAA title or anything like the madden or fifa franchise with a very low budget.

that said, it's probably one of the worst cricket games that have come out here since 2008 it has gone downhill over the last decade for cricket games.

EA sports did one in 2005 and 2007 that was great.

at least you enjoyed the game.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 33
Good read & coincidental in its timing as I took a look at this game myself a few days ago & am pondering on whether to buy or not. Having played Cricket games in the past I know they can be awfully time consuming. Can you tell me if there is an option to simulate individual Overs during a game. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 33
Re: Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajonMoneyRondo
This is funny because im from australia and this just sounds like me when i picked up the first baseball game with mlb the show 09 on ps2.

and to correct you it is not an indie title but the budget for this game in minimal. not even close to a AAA title or anything like the madden or fifa franchise with a very low budget.

that said, it's probably one of the worst cricket games that have come out here since 2008 it has gone downhill over the last decade for cricket games.

I agree, EA's last couple of Cricket games were pretty spot on. Cricket is a pretty tough sport to get right particularly when running on a tight budget.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Don Bradman Cricket 14: A Baseball Fan Takes a Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajonMoneyRondo

I didn't rate the EA Cricket games, but they were at least better than EA's Rugby games...

One issue I have with a lot of cricket games (the more recent codemasters ones, particularly) is that the difficulty levels are not very good. Easy is usually far too easy and anything else is far too hard.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thanks for taking a look at our game Caley.
As developers we're a bunch of really passionate Cricket fans and we certainly appreciate that you took the time.
Cheers,
Ross.
CEO Big Ant Studios
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
@Caley Roark,
You are spot on in saying DBC 14 (Don Bradman Cricket 14) is the FIFA or Madden of cricket. This is the best cricket game created. period. And to folks who are comparing it to EA's efforts of the last decade, it's not even close. DBC 14 is heads and shoulders above EA's efforts. I would urge folks who are interested in the game to check out the game's reviews on metacritic and cricinfo (the go to website for cricket fans) before making up their mind as it's clear to me folks/users like RajonMoneyRondo or Dazraz who have commented on the game have never played DBC 14. Here are the review links...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/don-bradman-cricket-14
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/752421.html

And if you are a hardcore cricket gaming fan, you can check out the positive feedback the game got on the only cricket gaming forum around...
http://planetcricket.net/forums/don-bradman-cricket-14-forum/

Thumbs up to operation sports and specially Caley for checking out a cricket gaming and writing about it here.

P.S. - I'm a hardcore cricket fan who picked up football in US and am a big Madden fan so I know how much you can learn about a new sport via a video game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »