Home

Margarito and his trainer Capetillo banned from boxing in the U.S.

This is a discussion on Margarito and his trainer Capetillo banned from boxing in the U.S. within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Margarito and his trainer Capetillo banned from boxing in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
The California State Athletic Commission revoked the licenses of former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito and trainer Javier Capetillo on Tuesday after a foreign plaster-like substance was discovered inside the boxer's hand wraps before he faced Shane Mosley at the Staples Center in Los Angles on Jan. 24.

The panel rejected Margarito's plea of ignorance and Capetillo's insistence that he had simply made a mistake, voting 7-0 on both revocations.

The revocation means that neither can participate in boxing in the United States for at least one year. After a year, both would have to reapply for their licenses in California, where they would have to go through another hearing. There is no guarantee either would be re-licensed.

The punishment extends throughout the nation because commissions honor suspensions and revocations in other jurisdictions.

It is possible that Margarito could fight, and Capetillo could train, in another country, where regulators do not necessarily honor U.S. rules, such as in Mexico.

Before Margarito was knocked out in the ninth round, Mosley's trainer, Naazim Richardson, objected to the way Margarito's hands were wrapped.

When the wraps were cut off to be reapplied, officials found what was deemed a plaster-like substance inside each wrap. Margarito had his hands rewrapped and went on to lose the fight.
Good job by the CSAC sending a message, there is zero tolerance for cheating...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Margarito and his trainer Capetillo banned from boxing in the U.S.

Should be a lifetime ban.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
Should be a lifetime ban.
I agree, but I sure would like to see him fight Cotto again. Who knows if Margo cheated in the first fight?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

I saw that fight and they had mentioned what went down before the fight. I think everyone wanted Mosely to mop the ring with him after it was known. And Mosely happily obliged. Cotto probably isnt the only one who wants another shot at that dome after this.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 13

I agree...I'm very disappointed by Margo's actions, as he was rapidly becoming one of my favorite fighters to watch. This calls into question every one of his previous victories, as far as I'm concerned. I strongly believe the legitimacy of his "win" over Cotto is now under a serious cloud of reasonable doubt. Even if he was totally clean and this was the first time anything like this ever happened (unlikely...anytime anyone gets caught doing something, it's rarely - if ever - their first time trying it), how are we to believe every time he stepped into the ring he wasn't packing extra material in his tape? The famous "heavy hands" of Margo are apparently nothing but heavy plaster-like substance.

The damage he inflicted on Cotto with what appeared to be less-than-stellar shots now makes more sense to me. I even commented at the time of that fight that it didn't look like he was pounding Cotto that badly, but every time he turned around Cotto was a bloody mess. How did he get his face re-arranged with those slow, lumbering punches? I suspect we know the answer to that...

In the end, maybe it was all psychological, and by trying such a hair-brained scheme to pack extra material in the tape, Margarito's trainer actually screwed him over so his head wasn't in the fight after the incident. Who knows if, sans plaster-like substance, Margo would have gone into the ring and dismantled Mosely? I guess we'll never know...and in one night, Margarito has ruined what was probably going to be a long reign as a big-money, big-ticket, headline fighter. No need to ban him for life - his career, as he once knew or anticipated it - is over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Glad to see them take some action on this.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 24

What amazes me is they call it 'a mistake'. How on earth do you make this kind of 'mistake'?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
I agree, but I sure would like to see him fight Cotto again. Who knows if Margo cheated in the first fight?
He cheated, the fight against Cotto should be ruled a no contest. In fact if a boxer is found to have cheated in this manner, he should forfeit all previous victories.

I have no tolerence for this garbage. You can kill and mame people with this crap. If its ever proven that he had these wrappings in the past, he should be charged with assault with attempt to cause bodily harm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »