Home

Mayweather Setting Up Excuse Not to Fight Pacquio?

This is a discussion on Mayweather Setting Up Excuse Not to Fight Pacquio? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Mayweather Setting Up Excuse Not to Fight Pacquio?

http://forums.doghouseboxing.com/ind...owtopic=152109

Quote:
And if, as expected, Mayweather-Mosley greatly outperforms Pacquiao-Clottey, 50-50 is history.

“Instead of 20 or 25 (million dollars), he may have to drop to 15, or 17,” Mayweather said. “And you know me, they may have to throw that extra five or 10 on mine, and we can rock and roll. Take it or leave it.”
People who've seen my posts know I'm not a big Mayweather fan.
So it's no surprise that I feel Mayweather is already trying to setup a hurdle so he never has to face Pac.

Anyone who knows boxing knows that Pac is the man right now. He's the #1 PFP fighter in the world and is 10000x more exciting than Floyd.
Saying that, it should come as no surprise if Pac refuses to take anything less than a 50-50 split. In fact, if I were Pac I'd tell Floyd he's lucky to get anything over 40%.

However, I do side with him somewhat regarding the drug testing.
I think it's a punk move by him to have only asked Pac to take a test thus far in his career. He fought 40 other dudes and never felt the game needed to be changed. Why now?
I think it's suspicious on both sides. Is Pac hiding something? Did Mayweather know how superstitious Pac is regarding testing so early to the fight?

In any event, I'm starting to think fight will never happen.
And if it doesn't, I can't see how when Floyd retires, when his name's brought up, the mention of the collapse of this superfight won't be mentioned each and every time.
It will tarnish his career far more than it ever will Pacquio's.

All we can pray for is that Pac-Clottey does way better in the box office than Mosley-Mayweather. Then there are no excuses and both fighters should sign and get this done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Mayweather Setting Up Excuse Not to Fight Pacquio?

This fight versus Mosley would be better and more competitive than the fight versus Manny anyway.. I still would like to see it.. but

Pacman isnt automatically going to win anyway.. both of these fights that are coming up still have to be fought.

Mayweather Bias full steam ahead.. do you get Mayweather ***** text alerts for Mayweather articles.

Manny wont agree to the testing anyway.. Did you ever think of that.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
This fight versus Mosley would be better and more competitive than the fight versus Manny anyway.. I still would like to see it.. but

Pacman isnt automatically going to win anyway.. both of these fights that are coming up still have to be fought.

Mayweather Bias full steam ahead.. do you get Mayweather ***** text alerts for Mayweather articles.

Manny wont agree to the testing anyway.. Did you ever think of that.
Yes I do. From Mayweather-BS-PR-Spin.com

I have a feeling that if Mayweather really believed he'd have an easy time with Pac, this fight would already have taken place last fall.

Floyd knows his carefully created perfect record would be in serious jeopardy and is doing everything he can to stop it from happening.
40 fighters ago he couldn't care less about 'cleaning up boxing'. Suddenly he's the Malcom X of the Sweet Science.
Now he's saying "I won't give Pac a 50-50 split". That's a brilliant PR move right there. He's already created a built-in excuse as to why he won't fight him knowing Pacs people won't go for anything less.

My grandparents used to own a chicken ranch. It was always interesting watching how the chickens reacted once getting their heads lopped off.
That's the image I get when I hear Mayweather spout off; a giant chicken running around spewing out useless rhetoric.

I would put money down that if Manny agreed to the drug test but said he's not taking a penny less than a 50-50 split, Mayweather would still balk using this new excuse as a reason why.

I might be a *****, but I'm not blinded by it. I recognize Floyd's skills. But I also see through his BS and know a scared man when I see one.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

I have a feeling that if Mayweather really believed he'd have an easy time with Pac, this fight would already have taken place last fall.

Floyd knows his carefully created perfect record would be in serious jeopardy and is doing everything he can to stop it from happening.
40 fighters ago he couldn't care less about 'cleaning up boxing'. Suddenly he's the Malcom X of the Sweet Science.
Now he's saying "I won't give Pac a 50-50 split". That's a brilliant PR move right there. He's already created a built-in excuse as to why he won't fight him knowing Pacs people won't go for anything less.

My grandparents used to own a chicken ranch. It was always interesting watching how the chickens reacted once getting their heads lopped off.
That's the image I get when I hear Mayweather spout off; a giant chicken running around spewing out useless rhetoric.

I would put money down that if Manny agreed to the drug test but said he's not taking a penny less than a 50-50 split, Mayweather would still balk using this new excuse as a reason why.

I might be a *****, but I'm not blinded by it. I recognize Floyd's skills. But I also see through his BS and know a scared man when I see one.
True
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 21

In Floyd's defense, everyone seems to believe that Pacquiao is a bigger draw when it comes to PPV buys. So in this instance, if Mayweather's fight outsells Pacquiao's, the advantage Pacquiao had in negotiations in terms of the purse split no longer exists. It makes sense that the fighter with more drawing power would want more of the pot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

Jesus. This stuff again. Who gives a crap what he did "forty fighters ago"? He didnt have the leverage and power in the sport to demand a certain type of drug testing then. **** he didnt have that leverage until after the De La hoya and Hatton fights. Now he does. I'm not saying that Floyd doesnt have other motives for this crusade but he's not the one saying he wont take the test.

Love him or hate him, he is the biggest draw in the sport...bottom line. He does over a million buys easily. If he beats Mosley convincingly and Pac struggles with Clottey, Floyd should get more than 50/50. If Pac wanted a guarantee of 50/50, he should have accepted the 14 day drug testing and made the fight. He didnt so now its up to his next fight to show that he still deserves 50/50.

Its like stocks, you sell high. Pac's stock couldnt be higher right now after the Cotto win. Everybody thinks he's unstoppable and will run through Floyd. If he struggles against Clottey and when his numbers come in much lower than Mayweather/Mosley (They will), then he loses some of his leverage. He cant argue that he is an equal draw anymore.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
In Floyd's defense, everyone seems to believe that Pacquiao is a bigger draw when it comes to PPV buys. So in this instance, if Mayweather's fight outsells Pacquiao's, the advantage Pacquiao had in negotiations in terms of the purse split no longer exists. It makes sense that the fighter with more drawing power would want more of the pot.
Thats the thing. Pac isnt the bigger draw now. Floyd has 3 PPV's that have generated over 1 million buys (Oscar, Hatton, Marquez). Pac has 2 (Oscar, Cotto)
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Lol, I guess there wasn't enough Floyd hate around here anymore. Here we go again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »