Home

Anyone else watching HBO 24/7 Pac v Margarito...

This is a discussion on Anyone else watching HBO 24/7 Pac v Margarito... within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Anyone else watching HBO 24/7 Pac v Margarito...

get the impression that they are trying to set up the excuses that if Manny gets rocked, it will be all his political obligations and guest appearances that will be the excuse? They have been showing a lot of Roach and other members in his team talking about how he is not able to focus with all the traveling and obligations and after seeing all the past 24/7's, its a little excessive to be focusing on it as much as they have especially to the general public that watch HBO. Just my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Anyone else watching HBO 24/7 Pac v Margarito...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLmatic
get the impression that they are trying to set up the excuses that if Manny gets rocked, it will be all his political obligations and guest appearances that will be the excuse? They have been showing a lot of Roach and other members in his team talking about how he is not able to focus with all the traveling and obligations and after seeing all the past 24/7's, its a little excessive to be focusing on it as much as they have especially to the general public that watch HBO. Just my opinion.
I totally agree. I have been saying this from the beginning.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Agreed iLL. I noticed that too.

But if I can play devils advocate, it could be HBO simply trying to create some drama.
That goes with Roach and the rest too. They've all been talking about how this has been the worst training camp Pac's had with Roach. And that Pac hasn't been as focused.

Chances are, they're all fully aware that Pac is going to destroy Margarito but they need to build up some kind of drama to keep viewers interested.

If Roach is telling the truth that Pac hasn't been the same and his attention isn't there, then maybe we're going to see a big upset on the 13th.

But I think Pac's more than ready. He knows boxing helps fund his life as a congressman and also keeps his popularity high so he can keep his seat.
A loss would be devastating for both.

I don't know if Pac has the power to take Tony out, but my money says he's going to smack him all over that ring.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6

HBO is trying to build drama to increase buys. Margarito has no shot. He isnt a one punch KO artist hence he doesnt have a puncher's chance. Manny is just about the only boxer that can match his work rate for 12 rounds so unless Manny busts his knee (ala Yuri Foreman) or breaks a hand he is going to either KO Margs or dominate him. Manny is way faster than today's version of Sugar Shane and we see how that panned out.

FYI: I dislike both Manny and Margs, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

Last edited by MikeRo72; 11-03-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo72
HBO is trying to build drama to increase buys. Margarito has no shot. He isnt a one punch KO artist hence he doesnt have a puncher's chance. Manny is just about the only boxer that cam match his work rate for 12 rounds so unless Manny busts his knee (ala Yuri Foreman) or breaks a hand he is going to either KO Margs or dominate him. Manny is way faster that Sugar Shane and we see how that panned out.

FYI: I dislike both Manny and Margs, so I don't have a dog in the fight.
It's funny that you mention how Margo isn't a one-punch KO artist.
Recently, Freddie Roach spoke how he knows Margarito has been cheating for a while and even in sparring sessions:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32395

Quote:
Roach speculates that Margarito first experimented with the plaster-like inserts while sparring in the gym. During a recent BoxingScene.com interview, Roach said that he believes that Margarito may have loaded his gloves for both of his big wins in 2008, against Miguel Cotto and Kermit Cintron.

"I have people who sparred with Margarito in the past. Some tell me that he can't punch at all...that he hits like a girl. Some tell me 'he's the best f**king puncher that I ever faced.' He broke Rashad Holloway's eye socket. I think that he knew it and he practiced it and wanted to get a feel for it in the gym," Roach said.

"I wasn't there so I can't prove it. I just have to give my opinion. I think he knew it. He lost a couple of fights and after the fight with Paul Williams - things changed. His whole attitude and style was completely more confident. And at one point in Spanish, his trainer [Javier Capetillo] says 'how's the punch?' [in the Cintron rematch]. What does that mean? He didn't ask him - 'can that guy hit hard?' He said 'how's the punch' and [Margarito] says 'good.'
I agree with you Mike in that Margarito simply doesn't have the power to stop Pacquio.
Cotto hits a lot harder than he does and Manny took all of it and never wavered.
The only thing Antonio has going for him is a rock solid chin.
But like you mentioned, Mosley stopped him (Margarito's only KO loss) and Pac's got more pop and more speed than Sugar. He's also a southpaw.

I don't think Pac will end it early, but it's going to be a long hard night for The Tornado. Possibly career ending.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

On a side note, with Kelly Pavlik pulling out of his undercard bout against Brian Vera, Andy Lee has stated he'd love to step in.

For those that don't remember, Andy Lee was an undefeated hot young commodity when he faced Vera back in March of '08.
Lee was controlling the fight until he got caught, and cut by the former Contender star.
The cut seemed to affect Lee greatly and eventually Vera wore him down and earned a 7th round TKO.

Lee's rebounded nicely since the defeat winning 9 fights in a row.
I'd love to see a rematch between the two.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=25651&more=1
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6

Its a solid fight but I was really looking forward to seeing if Pavlik could bounce back from that Martinez beat down he suffered. I've been reading he has a serious alcohol problem and thats the real reason he was pulled from the card
Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo72
Its a solid fight but I was really looking forward to seeing if Pavlik could bounce back from that Martinez beat down he suffered. I've been reading he has a serious alcohol problem and thats the real reason he was pulled from the card
I read that too.
I hate saying it, but I think The Ghost is done. I really like Pavlik, but both he and Taylor haven't looked the same since their first fight.

He's also fighting to make 160, but I think he knows he'd get destroyed at 168 and even 175.
What's scary for Pavlik is that there is a wealth of talent between 175 and 160. He can't hide.

If he does have a drinking problem, I hope he can sort it out. I doubt he needs the money to continue boxing so maybe he should look at calling it a career.
But if he still has the fire, I wish him well in his recovery. He can still bang and is a very tough dude. I'd love to see him against any number of guys between 160 and 168.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »