Home

A "sim" question, or Boxing 101

This is a discussion on A "sim" question, or Boxing 101 within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A "sim" question, or Boxing 101

Not sure if this is the right era, but I figured this area wasn't ONLY to chat about people's qualms with the demo.

Anyway, I won't pretend to know much about Boxing. I know the differences between and In and an Out fighter, and then some other forms within those styles. My knowledge of Boxing goes pretty much to what I've picked up personally and the bare minimum they'll use in MMA.

Now with all that said, I ask; is a In-Counter fighter a legit "build"? While I understand and can play with guys like Ali who stay at range, pick people apart, and just wait for their opening. The way I am though, I'd rather get in and stare down the barrel of the gun and see who flinches first. Hence an In-Fighter, but I'm also big on using someone else' strength to tear them down. However, thinking about it myself I didn't think it sounded all that plausible so I figured I'd ask those much more knowledgeable then myself.

This is for the CAB or Legacy mode or whatever
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: A "sim" question, or Boxing 101

so it sounds like you want to be a defensive slugger. I guess you could do that your chin needs to be able to hold up to that. The prob I see with this is you'll take alot of beatings in hopes to force someone to fight your fight. It seems like in Fight Night you have to fight smart. Not only that but understand after awhile not only does you block stamina will fall so will you hands and punches would get in easier. Whether or not its sim i'm not going to say because in boxing I don't think there is a sim more than just a way of fighting that some can handle and others can't. That's reality of boxing. Styles makes fights as they say.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

James Toney, Money May and Tyson were all three boxers who countered well on the inside. Inside pressure with a counter punchers mindset is also something Lucian Bute does as well. Heck, it's my style as well. You need head movement, block strength, foot speed (get in and out) and I'd build my hooks or uppercuts. Something else is I'd chose average as a reach. Too long or short and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot and it'll be like the demo where vs. the CPU when I'm Tyson I always have a hard time getting to him because his reach is very short and can't reach Ali unless he's right there.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well if they are done right, angles will be your friend. I'm having trouble fighting using angles. Seems like you are still connected to your opponent on a 2d plane. Seems like the only developers that get real angles into a boxing game are the ones that made Victorious Boxers. Other than that, Hova57 and acts238shaun are right on the money.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

yeah Reppa angles really don't exist in this game even the sidestep doesn't create much of an angle. I think the animations of the lower body is killing the footwork. Their just isn't enough flexion of the knees or agility to the game. I like the demo and will be getting the game, I just dislike the the two magnet feel to the game. Maybe if they were able to add some shoulder turns . I don't know I watch a boxing match you have guys bouncing around , you have guys walking guys down, you have circlers , and you have angle guys and right now i feel like i just have guys that walk you down. I fight southpaw I should be able to get my foot outside yours and mess up the way you would normally rotate or flow in the ring, but it doesn't southpaw almost fights in the same circle with effectiveness and you shouldn't be able too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
yeah Reppa angles really don't exist in this game even the sidestep doesn't create much of an angle. I think the animations of the lower body is killing the footwork. Their just isn't enough flexion of the knees or agility to the game. I like the demo and will be getting the game, I just dislike the the two magnet feel to the game. Maybe if they were able to add some shoulder turns . I don't know I watch a boxing match you have guys bouncing around , you have guys walking guys down, you have circlers , and you have angle guys and right now i feel like i just have guys that walk you down. I fight southpaw I should be able to get my foot outside yours and mess up the way you would normally rotate or flow in the ring, but it doesn't southpaw almost fights in the same circle with effectiveness and you shouldn't be able too.
Great points. Shoulder turns sound like a good idea. Have you played any of the VB games? You have to go out of your way to engage your opponent in VB. Not in a bad way, but the two fighters seem like they are separate from each other. Kind of like a real boxing match. I'm still getting FNC. I buy consoles specifically for boxing games. lol. I hate to bring up Knockout kings, but you had a little more freedom as far as angles in 2001. Not a lot, but more than what we have had the last 10 years.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

A great fight to watch of Toney showing his inside counter game was his fight vs. Iran Barkley. He jabbed at a distance, bobbed and weaved, showed great head movement and when inside would step, show angles and let hooks and counters fly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »