Home

Do you adjust to your opponent's weakness, or stick to your strength?

This is a discussion on Do you adjust to your opponent's weakness, or stick to your strength? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Do you adjust to your opponent's weakness, or stick to your strength?

My first fight of a new legacy, I'm using my conventional fighter against an outside fighter with a solid 1-2 and 9" of reach on me, and I'm thinking my best bet in this one is to fight like an inside banger. Anyways, as I'm looking over the comparative numbers, I was wondering how much people switch up styles.

Or if you even consider style... do you even bother to look at your opponent? Just figured I'd be interesting to dig a bit more into the science.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Do you adjust to your opponent's weakness, or stick to your strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My first fight of a new legacy, I'm using my conventional fighter against an outside fighter with a solid 1-2 and 9" of reach on me, and I'm thinking my best bet in this one is to fight like an inside banger. Anyways, as I'm looking over the comparative numbers, I was wondering how much people switch up styles.

Or if you even consider style... do you even bother to look at your opponent? Just figured I'd be interesting to dig a bit more into the science.

Well before the patch when you could get caught and it was fight over because of the 1 punch KO feature, I scouted my opponent and looked to see where he had knockout power and tried to circle away from that hand.

Or if he had a weak chin and not much power, I would try to bang for the first few rounds and see if I could get a quick upper hand. I would first try to fight to my strengths. If that didn't work I would adjust to his style and see if I could apply the science.

It really depended also on if he was the better fighter going in. If he was rated decidely higher, I always tried to quickly adjust and see if I could find some cracks regardless of what I thought my true strengths were.

Pre patch the competition was getting really tough in the 20's and if you moved up too fast there were alot of losses around the corner. My MW legacy never got ranked inside the top 15 because I moved up too fast, got battered a couple times and it really took its toll, I was forced into early retirement.

Post patch on Legacy I won the HW title on GOAT in under 15 fights. Pretty much by going with my strengths.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

So the flash KOs are COMPLETELY gone after the last patch?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

In legacy mode I would do basic scouting too see if they overpowered me or were much stronger than me, or if they had the one punch stun or KO power and would fight from the outside until I wear them out a bit.

Online I usually fight really defensive for one round while scouting for weaknesses or patterns that I could exploit. If they are extra aggressive I try to catch them lunging in with a power straight or uppercut depending on which punches they lunge in with. If they fight a counter punching style I fake coming in and jump back out enough for them to try and catch me, then I lunge back in with the counter punch.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
that and cuts damage so hopefully next patch brings it back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Sure seems that way. I haven't seen a single one in around 100 fights.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Depends. In my HW legacy I'm in right now I'm using a 6'4" 84" reach guy with a 20 jab and no other punch over 11. I work the jab no matter what, living and dying by it, keeping the other guy on the outside.

With my WW/MW legacy guy, short height/reach, I have to BBQ some ribs and get inside. Any other time I go with the flow and my guys strengths. If a guy like Hearns is open for the UC and my strengths are elsewhere I'll go for the UC's only if nothing else works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »