Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-07-2022, 03:26 AM   #8745
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Didn't they learn from the loose partnership less than 1 year old?

Here's the problem with this. The ACC can't formally commit and merge the conference because it probably voids the GOR and everything has to be renegotiated. FSU, UM, and Clemson immediately say no and announce they are leaving then. Then the other schools scramble and 8 or 9 get taken. That also has the west coast expansion for Big Ten, so the PAC12 is left with nothing.

PAC12 right now has around $30 million per schools, ACC is $40-50 million per school. Combining adds nothing to TV deal and may actually take the value down. When the Big Ten raids the rest of the PAC12, it is worthless.

It's in everyone's best interest for the ACC to go away except for WF and a few others that lose out. ESPN is overpaying and would make more with the top teams moving to the SEC. They may not like losing UNC and probably Duke to the Big Ten basketball but football pays the bills.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
The loose partnership is funny to read about after seeing how the alliance played out.

I think these conferences realize the ACC and PAC are likely done for, but they have to try to do something. They can't just sit there and die even if they know it is 99% likely no matter what they're done for.

The PAC may survive if Oregon and Washington remain in the conferences, but I don't see the ACC surviving unless it somehow plays out where only one of Clemson, Miami, and FSU leave, but I don't forsee that happening. I won't be surprised if Miami and Clemson announce before this season they're leaving and then we hear about FSU, UNC, and Duke also leaving in the near future also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #8746
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

"SOURCE: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia are all negotiating to join the SEC. ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC."
Old 07-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #8747
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
"SOURCE: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia are all negotiating to join the SEC. ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC."

HOO WANTS BAMA

(not me; I enjoy living life as a three dimensional being, actually!)

-

…the guy who is reporting this is verified on Twitter, but he’s also a swimming journalist? People are casting doubt as to whether there are any legs to this based on the origin of the report.

That said, there was some smoke previously that, among the ACC teams looking for life rafts, Clemson + Florida State and North Carolina + Virginia have paired off together to secure their future destinations. This rumor would line up with those pairings.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #8748
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Good heavens.

Crap is officially hitting the fan.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #8749
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

This **** is getting ridiculous.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:49 PM   #8750

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

So ACC basketball is toast? Granted, college basketball is a pebble in the ocean compared to college football's money and influence, but damn.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #8751
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Are we really going to end up in two Mega conferences in the SEC and the Big 10? The group of 5 will be expanded to the Group of 8.

I'm guessing there will be pods that will rotate each year to face other pods in the Mega conferences.

Still will watch here and there, this just feels different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #8752
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

There's a lot of 5D chess going on right now, and it's still centered around ESPN.

I think ESPN would prefer the ACC stay viable as a power conference in some form, but only insofar as it prevents Notre Dame from joining the Big Ten. Allegedly, the Irish are restricted from joining any non-ACC conference for the duration of their ongoing partnership with the ACC. If the ACC no longer exists or is otherwise no longer viable, ND and their national following will just hop over to the B1G. ESPN probably doesn't want that to happen, that would threaten their strangehold on the sport, so they'd prefer ND stay independent.

To that end, ESPN is for sure going to push a few more teams into the SEC to get their super conference, probably from the ACC. But I also think that ESPN will try to bring a few more teams into the ACC to replace the outgoing teams, but only to maintain the ACC's status as a second-tier power league and only to ensure Notre Dame's existing partnership with the ACC stays intact.

It makes literally zero sense geographically, but I'd watch out for something like Washington / Oregon / California / Stanford to the ACC to replace whichever four teams ESPN pushes to the SEC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »