Home

NCAA Football for the first time?

This is a discussion on NCAA Football for the first time? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Icon5 NCAA Football for the first time?

Hey Guys,

I don't live in the US but have a great interest in football and have played the Madden series for the last four years but after viewing trailers and reading previews of NCAA Football 11, it has really caught my attention but I don't know much about college football and have only watched a few college football games.

Will I stuggle to understand and enjoy the game? Do you think I should go about doing some research into college sports before playing the game because is it a lot different to NFL football?

Any feedback will be much appreciated, thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NCAA Football for the first time?

If you know football, you'll pretty much know NCAA. When it comes to the play on the field, college and pro football have some subtle differences (mostly when it comes to offenses) but they're basically the same. The main differences in the two comes from the college atmosphere, traditions, and recruiting.

The only thing you might want to do is understand the basic principles behind the different offensive philosophies (Air raid, No Huddle, Spread, Triple Option, etc) in order to run those offenses more effectively; however, it's not really a necessity. You'd probably pick up on them after playing the game for a while anyways. There are other people on here who can break these things down for you better than I can if you want to find out more though.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
If you know football, you'll pretty much know NCAA. When it comes to the play on the field, college and pro football have some subtle differences (mostly when it comes to offenses) but they're basically the same. The main differences in the two comes from the college atmosphere, traditions, and recruiting.

The only thing you might want to do is understand the basic principles behind the different offensive philosophies (Air raid, No Huddle, Spread, Triple Option, etc) in order to run those offenses more effectively; however, it's not really a necessity. You'd probably pick up on them after playing the game for a while anyways. There are other people on here who can break these things down for you better than I can if you want to find out more though.
Thanks a lot for your input...NCAA Football sounds understandable.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
The main differences in the two comes from the college atmosphere, traditions, and recruiting.
In terms of video game the only difference is recruiting, there is hardly any atmosphere/traditions in NCAA.
That and the different formations, theres a much larger variety of formations and a lot more shotgun formations.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
In terms of video game the only difference is recruiting, there is hardly any atmosphere/traditions in NCAA.
That and the different formations, theres a much larger variety of formations and a lot more shotgun formations.

I would say NCAA11 has shown so far that atmosphere is starting to pick up in the series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkMan99
Hey Guys,

I don't live in the US but have a great interest in football and have played the Madden series for the last four years but after viewing trailers and reading previews of NCAA Football 11, it has really caught my attention but I don't know much about college football and have only watched a few college football games.

Will I stuggle to understand and enjoy the game? Do you think I should go about doing some research into college sports before playing the game because is it a lot different to NFL football?

Any feedback will be much appreciated, thanks.
Just remember that in College Football if you fall you're considered down and the play is over, even if no one touches you... other than that, not much different.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Just remember that in College Football if you fall you're considered down and the play is over, even if no one touches you... other than that, not much different.
Another thing that might be difficult for him at first... in college the hash marks are much closer to the sideline, in effect, giving you one side of the field that has a ton of room.

It's different than pro or Madden and might take some getting used to. After a few games I believe this would just become second nature though.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Rookie

jeffmanqb3's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Another thing that might be difficult for him at first... in college the hash marks are much closer to the sideline, in effect, giving you one side of the field that has a ton of room.

It's different than pro or Madden and might take some getting used to. After a few games I believe this would just become second nature though.
There is not a two minute warning either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »