Home

NCAA Football 11: Real Assignment AI Live Chat Posted Here

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11: Real Assignment AI Live Chat Posted Here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NCAA Football 11: Real Assignment AI Live Chat Posted Here

For those of you that can't access the chat from work or any other unknown reason.

3:07

Dewiel:
We have Russ Kiniry, Ben Haumiller, Mike Scantlebury, & Anthony White here from the team.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:07 Dewiel
3:08

[Comment From Sooner Born Sooner BredSooner Born Sooner Bred: ]
It seems that the assignment blocking is spot on, but will there be a disparity between high vs low rated linemen? In other words, will poor linement ever miss block now that they have the assignment ai?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:08 Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3:08

NCAA Football Dev Team:
The biggest difference you’ll be able to notice is the amount of time a poor blocker will hold his block.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:08 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:10

NCAA Football Dev Team:
All blockers follow the general rules dictated by the type of run. But some poor blockers will sometimes miss their blocks.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:10 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:11

[Comment From DaJames217DaJames217: ]
Will there be defensive schemes and plays for us to use in order to counter-the improved blocking techniques of the o-lineman? For instance, will our linebackers fill holes left by pulling guards and plug holes they suspect the runningback to hit?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:11 DaJames217
3:12

NCAA Football Dev Team:
We had to do a lot of tuning to ensure that the blocking is balanced. Because at first the blocking was too good and now it feels much more realistic.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:12 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:12

[Comment From lovismithlovismith: ]
will you also applies this improved A.I system into the pass blocking for offensive linemen?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:12 lovismith
3:13

NCAA Football Dev Team:
With the new locomotion pass blockers will be able to move easier into correct locations to make blocks. Along with that we improved their ability to identify the best target.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:13 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:14

[Comment From lovismithlovismith: ]
will this new A.I intelligence blocking be inputed into special teams as well. because special teams blocking isn't really about double teaming and shedding off, instead as it is a scheme and and set up and also simple shoving players is sometimes enough.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:14 lovismith
3:16

NCAA Football Dev Team:
You will see some of our new blocking animations on special teams play. We also changed logic of the guys blocking the gunners to use more of a wedge approach found on kick-offs.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:16 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:16

[Comment From EA_Ben_HaumillerEA_Ben_Haumiller: ]
Hey Guys
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:16 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:19

[Comment From irish22irish22: ]
will moving the "D' line around at the snap throw off blocking schemes?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:19 irish22

NCAA Football Dev Team:
No it will not. Our blocking system will update based on the defense front they are presented with.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:19 NCAA Football Dev Team

[Comment From OneEighthOneEighth: ]
In NCAA '10 there was an issue with defensive players that were being blocked instantly coming off of those blocks anytime the ball carrier would get near them. Has this been addressed?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:19 OneEighth
3:20

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
We've added brand new engagement animations, and only appropriately rated players will shed their blocks at the correct times.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:20 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:24

[Comment From Hook emHook em: ]
D's like Texas' and Bama's are famous for making the blocker not pick the "best target" with blitzes from everywhere (esp. zone blitzes). Does this have any effect on how the blocking system works?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:24 Hook em
3:24

NCAA Football Dev Team:
There are somethings in Football that can and will always be true... if you bring more defenders than the offense has to block; someone is going to get through.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:24 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:25

[Comment From mtoo22mtoo22: ]
will this affect the fullback as well on blocking situations?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:25 mtoo22
3:25

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
Fullbacks are given a run block assignment just like the offensive linemen. In the passing game, the logic has been improved and FB's will go for more cut blocks vs. larger linemen.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:25 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:26

[Comment From ch46647ch46647: ]
Do DL have more "win" animations? Meaning when an OL/DL interaction occurs can the DL now push the OL back or do they just lock up and eventually throw the OL aside like in recent NCAA/Maddens....
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:26 ch46647
3:28

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
Brand new animations have been added where you will see defensive linemen driving an offensive linemen into the backfield.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:28 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:31

[Comment From Tomymac23Tomymac23: ]
Will blockers look for guys to block down the field on sweeps and runs to go to the outside. On a few of the videos I noticed from time to time it didn't seem as if a block was actually being made, it look as if the blocker was simply standing in front of the defender shielding and not blocking?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:31 Tomymac23
3:31

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
The OL will look to find the best defender to block as far as 20 yards downfield.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:31 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:32

[Comment From hawaiidudehawaiidude: ]
ben just said, "brand new animations have been added where you will see defensive lineman driving an offensive lineman into the backfield." will we see the reverse of that on running plays? (where a huge o-lineman will drive and undersized d-lineman back)
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:32 hawaiidude
3:32

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Yes you will. Offensive linemen will be able to drive defenders back as well.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:32 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:33

[Comment From Tomymac23Tomymac23: ]
Is there a feeling that the playbook will be opened up a lot more with AI assignment blocking? Meaning more plays will work in the playbook than in years past?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:33 Tomymac23
3:35

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
Good question. A lot of different play types are way more effective thanks to the new blocking system. Draws, Shotgun counters, and read option plays are some examples of play types that are way more effective this year.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:35 EA_Ben_Haumiller
3:38

Will fatigue play a role for players and their assignments? When I bust out my power run game, will the defense tire out as the game progesses if I have success?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:38 Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3:39

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Yes the defense will tire if you are able to run the ball well. However it will tire your HB down as well; so your depth is key.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:39 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:41

Will runs ever get "stuffed" with the new blocking, or will we generally see them good for positive yards?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:41 Sooner Born Sooner Bred

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
Yes, running plays can and will still get blown up in the backfield.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:41 EA_Ben_Haumiller

[Comment From MegaBearsFanMegaBearsFan: ]
How have you changed the ways defenses can adjust to opponent's offenses? If our opponent is consistently beating us with these improved Draws or read options, how will the defenses be able to adjust to stop them?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:41 MegaBearsFan

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Our Adaptive AI will adjust to the effective plays being run by the offense. We made sure all the plays that are now work better were being handled correctly.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:41 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:44

[Comment From DaJames217DaJames217: ]
Will Run-Commit be a reason for these stuffed plays? Or will it be taken out of the game?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:44 DaJames217
3:45

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Run Commit will still be in the game, and it can be effective. The great thing about the new blocking on run plays is it accounts for who is going to be blocked before the play starts, so when they defense starts to flow in a direction they are still accounted for.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:45 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:46

[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
When a player is "double teamed" can a big DL like terrence cody break through the double team or atleast keep himself from getting driven backwards (occupying the blockers)?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:46 Guest
3:46

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Dominate Defense tackles are able to split double team blocks and make plays in the back-field.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:46 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:47

Will defenses now bite on misdirections and crash to the wrong side of the line?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:47 Sooner Born Sooner Bred

EA_Ben_Haumiller:
Yes, you will see defenders crash to the wrong side in situations. The defender's play recognition rating is the biggest factor in determining this.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:47 EA_Ben_Haumiller

[Comment From LegendkillaLegendkilla: ]
Although fatigue has been improved, it won't be totally unrealistic and the lineman get subbed out either right? Don't want backup guys in there messing up on blocks.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:47 Legendkilla

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Correct, offensive linemen are rarely (if ever) subbed out.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:47 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:49

In high school, we were taught as defensive linemen that if we are being beaten by a double team, to just try to fall forward to create a pile-up rather than being driven into the backfield. Will players in the game do this? Or will they let themselves be driven back 20 yards until the play is over?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:49 MegaBearsFan
3:50

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Yes Defensive Linemen in our game will use that technique and fall down instead of being pushed back for 10 yards down the field.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:50 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:53

[Comment From styleestylee: ]
Are blocking assignments dictated by the "paths" or by player-assignments; that is, will my slotback on a triple option block the first guy who gets in his path or will he go towards a safety and avoid a linebacker?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:53 stylee

Will D-Linement use their strengths (speed/power/technique) to try and beat the O-Line or will the ai use random strategies.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:53 Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Dewiel:
Every player on the play will be given a specific assignment, and if that backer is already targeted by another blocker, then he'll move up to the safety. If not, then he'll pick up the backer.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:53 Dewiel
3:54

NCAA Football Dev Team:
The d-line will try and use what they are best at whenever possible. So a player that is more of a bull rusher will try and use power moves the majority of the time.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:54 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:55

[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
Will OL get off the double team block of the DT and get to the second level of LB's?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:55 Guest
3:55

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Yes they will. You'll see them double team for the start of the play then bounce second level and pick up linebacker.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:55 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:57

[Comment From WTWT: ]
How well do WRs block downfiled?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:57 WT
3:57

Dewiel:
It's ratings based, so each WR's ratings will dictate how well he blocks downfield.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:57 Dewiel
3:58

If an O-lineman is supposed to break a double team to go after a linebacker, but the linebacker runs himself out of the play, will the O-linemen go after another player instead? Or will he chase the linebacker halfway across the field in the wrong direction while an unblocked safety lights up my running back?
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:58 MegaBearsFan
3:58

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Once he releases to go second level the lineman will find the best target (not always a linebacker). So no he won't chase one guy all over the field.
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:58 NCAA Football Dev Team
3:59

[Comment From hawaiidudehawaiidude: ]
that would be funny though, to see your linemen chasing players all over the field. lol
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:59 hawaiidude
3:59

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Depends on if you were on offense or defense
Thursday May 6, 2010 3:59 NCAA Football Dev Team
4:02

[Comment From styleestylee: ]
There's a lot of debate about the efficacy of "sliding" the O-line on running plays. I assume that doing "slide", "pinch", etc. will have some effect on the line's blocking assigments on passing plays. Is there any way to change assignements for running plays pre-play?
Thursday May 6, 2010 4:02 stylee

NCAA Football Dev Team:
The only run plays slide protection works on is Draw Plays. We've made the choice to keep our run blocking assignments as they were set up.
Thursday May 6, 2010 4:02 NCAA Football Dev Team

NCAA Football Dev Team:
Thanks for coming to our Live Chat. Please keep looking at our web site and forums for more information.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: NCAA Football 11: Real Assignment AI Live Chat Posted Here

I'm world famous!

None of my questions about midline option got through.
Neither did questions about
* cutblocks
* different pass-protection schemes
* Run And Shoot Choice assignments

The answer the moderator gave about my slotback blocking question seemed to miss the point - on a true triple option, NO ONE is assigned to block the OLB (or, #2 in the count [or #3 in other counting systems]).

If no one is assigned to block him, will the slot block him if the guy runs into his "path" ?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Sounds good although I want to hear more about what changes were made to run committ.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

as far as run blocking who ever is the best option they will block so in the option your talking about if the olb is a read player then no he won't be blocked . but if he is off the line most likely he'll get picked up by the pulling guard or that split end if he tries to cover him during the play.

he did say that runningbacks will try to cutblock bigger lbs and de's
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks, Hova, I didn't see that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Just raised my hype even more! I can't wait...

― Plato
Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Man I can't wait...My running game is going to OWN!
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

I thought it went well until I read run commit is still in the game. ??? Seriously whats the point of having commits in the game if you have play recognition as well? I hope it doesnt give the defense super speed again.

Other than that I cant wait till the game drops, Im stoked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »