Home

Player ratings?

This is a discussion on Player ratings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Player ratings?

Does anybody really know what player ratings mean?

I was just looking through them and so many seem to be overlapped ratings that could be derived from other ratings.

Take for example return ability. To me that rating could easily be derived from Speed, Acceleration, agility, elusivness, ball carrier vision,and the carrying ratings. It seems like unneccesary overlap.

Other examples include Run Block and Pass block. Then you have run block and pass block footwork as well as power. So is Pass and Run block derived from these two sub-ratings?

Also some ratings are very generic in their title. Like awareness must be the most generic name ever. In reality it would apply to almost every mental skill rating in the game (Ball carrier vision, Zone coverage, pursuit, and play recognition.)

And then some obvious ones seem to be missing, like toughness. I feel like a toughness rating would make players play differently because a tougher player is will to make bigger hits, nastier blocks, and is more likely to stay inbounds longer, or stand in to pocket and take a hit.

I bring this up because, IMO, overall rating should be just a quick way to look at a guy for the casual gamers. I just want to know what these ratings mean so I can understand my players better.

I curious to hear what you guys think.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Player ratings?

The more you play this game the more you realize that certain ratings just don't mean anything. Particularly for the Computer.

In my experience few ratings mean as little as Awareness though. I just don't understand what it does. Low awareness seems to have a negligible effect on what a player can or can not do.

We know the Computer cheats. Period. I've seen CPU teams start players with awareness ratings as low as 30. When its game time, lo and behold, these players are somehow playmakers.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that this game needs to give some of these ratings tangible meanings. We also need a damn Composure rating for QBs.....
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_knights
The more you play this game the more you realize that certain ratings just don't mean anything. Particularly for the Computer.

In my experience few ratings mean as little as Awareness though. I just don't understand what it does. Low awareness seems to have a negligible effect on what a player can or can not do.

We know the Computer cheats. Period. I've seen CPU teams start players with awareness ratings as low as 30. When its game time, lo and behold, these players are somehow playmakers.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that this game needs to give some of these ratings tangible meanings. We also need a damn Composure rating for QBs.....
Composure? So a freshman QB (who isnt rated very high) cant just come in to a top 5 toughest place to play stadium against a very tough D and just sling the ball around like its nothing? Hmmmmm.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

I feel like composure used to be in the game. Or maybe that was 2K5.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Composure was defiantly in the last-gen games. I have NCAA 10 and they have it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Also, there is a thread about a whole new rating system.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ings-idea.html
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Does anybody really know what player ratings mean?

I was just looking through them and so many seem to be overlapped ratings that could be derived from other ratings.

Take for example return ability. To me that rating could easily be derived from Speed, Acceleration, agility, elusivness, ball carrier vision,and the carrying ratings. It seems like unneccesary overlap.

Other examples include Run Block and Pass block. Then you have run block and pass block footwork as well as power. So is Pass and Run block derived from these two sub-ratings?

Also some ratings are very generic in their title. Like awareness must be the most generic name ever. In reality it would apply to almost every mental skill rating in the game (Ball carrier vision, Zone coverage, pursuit, and play recognition.)

And then some obvious ones seem to be missing, like toughness. I feel like a toughness rating would make players play differently because a tougher player is will to make bigger hits, nastier blocks, and is more likely to stay inbounds longer, or stand in to pocket and take a hit.

I bring this up because, IMO, overall rating should be just a quick way to look at a guy for the casual gamers. I just want to know what these ratings mean so I can understand my players better.

I curious to hear what you guys think.
Ball Carrier vision is totally seperate from Ball Carrier ability....

Vision allows runners to locate open lanes or see defenders. This rating works great as a lot of the great RB's i've created react very realistic to reading the defense on the field for the CPU

Ball Carry rating effects how good they are at avoiding fumbles during big hits or when the players try to strip them of the ball

Elusiveness is their ability to avoid tackles a guy with 90+ elusiveness will have certain animations available to him that other players won't have in the game when avoiding tackles.

For a QB think of mobile guys like Randall Cunningham or Mike Vick this rating allows to sense pressure in the pocket better and move around

Awareness effects different parts of the game depending on the player position.....a lot of people don't think it matters beyond a QB but this is the furthest from the truth

Put a guy at 0 awareness and another guy at 90 awareness and you'll see if there is fumble on the field the guy with 90 awareness will be quicker to react to the ball. The guy with 0 awareness will be the last guy to recognize a fumble just happend....

It also effects RB's and OL being able to recognize and pick up blitzers....

It effects WR's when running option routes

Pass Block and Run Block are more important for SIM mode....that have some effect on the field during actual gameplay but they are more important during SIM mode

Run Block Footwork and Pass Block Footwork is the two most underated ratings in this game IMO....i've seen some of the most realistic pass blocking ever with guys in the 90's for Pass Block footwork combined with high Awareness ratings for Offensive linemen

Run Block footwork if you have agile OL who can get out in space is awesome to see aswell

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »