Home

Analyzing EA's prestige rankings vs ESPN system

This is a discussion on Analyzing EA's prestige rankings vs ESPN system within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Analyzing EA's prestige rankings vs ESPN system

I have started calculating prestige for all of the teams rated 6* and 5* in the game to compare. I used the ESPN formula they did back in 2009 to get their rankings but adjusted it to stats only back until the inception of the BCS (1998) as it is obvious the game does not look that far into history. Below are my findings in order of highest prestige points by the formula with EA's Prestige rating listed.:

6Ohio State6528
1Oklahoma6489
29USC6467
20Florida6421
34Miami5388
22Texas6385
10Florida State5375
4LSU6323
17Virginia Tech5260
2Alabama6245
27Georgia5239
12Auburn6222
33Michigan5214
11Wisconsin5210
5Oregon6205
8Boise State5202
41Tennessee4202
16Nebraska5198
14TCU5185
28Penn State6169
31Utah4158
26West Virginia4156
38Iowa5136
51Kansas State3106
21Notre Dame594
18Arkansas484
23Missouri471

*Note ESPN's system did have negative points for probations, etc and I was unable to find enough consistent data on this so I removed it from the equation. However I did not calculate USC's NC's or Bush's heisman. If you were to add those they would be at 525 points total.>>
>>
I will be calculating more teams in the future and will update as I do.>>

Last edited by schumj; 06-10-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Analyzing EA's prestige rankings vs ESPN system

I'll apologize now to all the Notre Dame fans cuz this system does not help you with all the people hating on ND. I for one love Notre Dame, I love that there fans allowed my husker fans to turn their stadium red when we played there. It was one of the easiest away tickets to get!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Pro

I added 3 4* teams, West Va, Utah, and Arkansas.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

The number one thing that confuses me is that the in-game rules for losing or gaining stars don't apply to the off-season year to year, out of the box, changes. If they did, Texas would have lost a star and schools like Hawaii and Fresno would have gained one, if at least stayed the same, instead of losing one.

I wish they put more science into it instead of seemingly just giving ratings on a whim.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I think EA's prestige system fits pretty well in this game. When you think about it, the only thing team prestige really factors into in the game is recruiting. And I think most people would agree, a lot of recruits don't put a lot of weight in what a school did back in the 50s, 60s, 70s. They focus more on what the team has done in the last 10-15 years, and especially what they've done in the last 4-5 years.

That's not to say that a long tradition of winning should be a non-factor, and not every recruit is indifferent to a school's history, but I think the fact that EA only takes recent history into account for team prestige reflects the modern recruiting landscape pretty well.

*Thank goodness for me, because if total history were taken into account, Oklahoma State (despite it's recent success) would probably still be a 2 star program.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-10-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Michgantown's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
The number one thing that confuses me is that the in-game rules for losing or gaining stars don't apply to the off-season year to year, out of the box, changes. If they did, Texas would have lost a star and schools like Hawaii and Fresno would have gained one, if at least stayed the same, instead of losing one.

I wish they put more science into it instead of seemingly just giving ratings on a whim.
Sometimes I have seen a cpu team win their conference and only lose 2 game, not go pass a 1*.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I think EA's prestige system fits pretty well in this game. When you think about it, the only thing team prestige really factors into in the game is recruiting. And I think most people would agree, a lot of recruits don't put a lot of weight in what a school did back in the 50s, 60s, 70s. They focus more on what the team has done in the last 10-15 years, and especially what they've done in the last 4-5 years.

That's not to say that a long tradition of winning should be a non-factor, and not every recruit is indifferent to a school's history, but I think the fact that EA only takes recent history into account for team prestige reflects the modern recruiting landscape pretty well.

*Thank goodness for me, because if total history were taken into account, Oklahoma State (despite it's recent success) would probably still be a 2 star program.
I agree with a lot of what you say. But it doesn't reflect real life for recruits 100%. Boise St does not recruit top ranked talent. They develop well and recruit to their style. There are other 4* programs who don't "recruit" 4* talent.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Just proves that EA overrated the Hawkeyes this year! Why does an 8-5 season get you to 5*?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »