Home

Coach mode - tips, tricks & future suggestions

This is a discussion on Coach mode - tips, tricks & future suggestions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coach mode - tips, tricks & future suggestions

I've always liked head coach 09 but never played coach mode on ncaa. I just recently started to, and love it!

So i was wondering if there are more people enjoying coach mode and how you guys play it. So fellow coach moders, 2 simple questions:

1: What are some successfull tricks you use in your coach mode dynasty?
2: What do you think would be a great addition to the game so to improve the coach mode experience becomes even better?

Here are some of mine (oh I play ncaa12 btw):
1 - tips
• play vanilla defense in the start of the game to find out what is working. Vanilla as in simply call the basic play and don't audible or change it with slants, press coverage, etc. Just mix up your basic play calls till you've found what works against this offense. Once you've found what works use that till it doesn't anymore. That's when you want to spice up the stunts & moves, preferably as short as possible to the snap. Just go crazy, when the adaptions are timed well you'll be a force. Just make sure your unpredictable.

• use the formation subs to create a pass first and a run first defense. I'm using the multiple d playbook and for each base form it tends to have at least 2 almost identical forms. Example: 4-3 and 4-3 under are the 4-3 forms in this playbook. You will have a few playmakers on defense that you want to have on the field all the time. But most teams will have a bunch of starters and 2nd stringers who are comparable. My best olb's are 93, 83, 81, 79 and 78 overall. The 93 overall guy will be in on all snaps, but the other olb spot will preferably be the one that suits the situation the best (so if he's required to rush the qb I would like the 81 ovr pass rusher in stead of the 83 ovr run stuffer). What I'm doing to achieve this is splitting the formations into a pass def form and an rush defense form, and use formation subs to fill in the right guy for the situation. In addition, this also keeps most guys fresh since you sub them regularly (see next bullet). The same can be done for your offense, bring in the big run blocking maulers at the oline and the blocking te when you're going to run.

• Use formation subs to keep guys fresh and give young kids some snaps as well. Unfortunately NCAA doesnt have a stat per player how many plays he has been in (like madden). I also don't know if playing time impacts development of the players. I do feel, but am not sure, that it does impact the probability of players wanting to transfer. The nr of plays does impact for the promise of playing time. Also in my experience players (notably rb's and qb's) look to be more prone to injuries and for sure perform less when they are tired. Anyway IMO all reasons to sub players (especially the less performing when tired). I want to control this more then simply by the autosub settings and therefor use the formation subs to the max.

• Look for qualities you need when recruiting, don't just go for the highest ranked or the one with the most stars. I'm running a run first option attack out of the flexbone. As in 10-20% pass attempts max. I don't need or want a pass protecting 5star guard but that run blocking 4star guard with good acc. Since your not directly controlling the players the only way to make up for this is by scouting the right guy for the job.

So what are your tips?

(I'm going to post my suggestion for #2 in a separate post, I'm using my iPhone for this post and starting to worry I might accidentally delete this post before I've posted it lol)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Coach mode - tips, tricks & future suggestions

So some suggestions for future NCAA coach mode (and yeah I know it will more then likely not get into the game buts that's not the issue)

• playbook knowledge: great feature from nfl hc, new players have to learn their plays and perform less when they don't know it.
• not sure about this but some format in which your qb or mlb has to audible himself? As in each play you can set up with some audible options and adjustments to be made by the MLB/qb based on how you instructed it. The more pb knowledge, experience, awareness and 'captain'- or 'leader'-rating your qb has the better he will be at this (or the less sucky at it). The only thing that worries me about this format is that I actually like the gameplay when I can adjust myself. Not sure if it's fun to just to watch.
• signing your own assistants, with their own playbook and qualities that have an effect in game.
• training during the season: my players improve at seasons end, but it would be nice if I could steer this a bit. I run 80+% of my plays so I would like my oline to spend more time practicing run blocking skills then pass pro.
• game preperation: one week I'm facing a run first pro style offense, then I'm facing georgia techs option attack. Somehow I just Start the next game and the players are prepared, there might be a fun format that doesn't take much time but offers the opportunity to prepare a bit better.
• in addition: real playbook editing: loved it in hc 09... Just edit, practice till you found something that worked.
• impact your schools rating by my actions: if I sell out every game and the programm is making money I'd like to invest in the athletic facilities. Same for coaching prestige: if I sign a very good assistant (d. Lebeau as DC)I might be able to improve my schools status. Or if I only sign kids who are biochemist my academic prestige goes up.
• player moral: not playing then this rb might be a pain in the *** for a hc. Or players disliking each other.
• handle the media: press conference, etc.
• scouting/recruiting: offer the opportunity to watch a prospect in 10 plays in hs games. Add some element in it that you can score recruiting points or more info on the prospects qualities. Or some other format that adds some scouting action to the game.
• etc..

I know most won't get into the game since it would essentially become a new game but hey one can dream right 😃

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »