Home

What options do you run

This is a discussion on What options do you run within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
What options do you run

This year the Option is certainly the most effective it has been in years and seems to work from a number of formations and in various ways. I am having fun recruiting SPEED to run the option effectively but wanted to take a few to post here in case I was missing anything.

I have been running all options out of shot gun this year. I like to run:
1) Triple option with either 2 RBs or a Mntn Motion of the WR.
2) I run the READ OPTION with the HB if I don't pre-snap read a blitz into that side of the field.
3) The SPEED OPTION use to be my favorite option in years past but this year I find myself using it much less as it gets blown up far easier and is more sensitive to the blitz.
4) The SHOVEL OPTION looks like it could be the coolest thing since sliced bread but it seems like a HIGH RISK low to medium reward in comparison to the read option or the triple option off the read option.

Any other option plays that I am missing out on or suggestion of things I should check out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What options do you run

I run the read option a lot with Michigan and Rutgers. Other then that, I don't use options.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Rookie

Eagle34's Arena

OVR: 0

I run everything but shovel and I use the option out of every formation that has one. Wishbone, Wingbone, Power-I, you name it. Shovel options have never had positive results for me, though. I'm guessing you've seen the other read options like Buck, Dart, Inverted Veer, Cake, and Midline? I like using the Veer with a big, power QB and a scatback. Sort of like what AU ran with Cam so frequently.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34
I run everything but shovel and I use the option out of every formation that has one. Wishbone, Wingbone, Power-I, you name it. Shovel options have never had positive results for me, though. I'm guessing you've seen the other read options like Buck, Dart, Inverted Veer, Cake, and Midline? I like using the Veer with a big, power QB and a scatback. Sort of like what AU ran with Cam so frequently.
I don't have any success with the VEER, not sure I understand how to read it. The DE comes up field for both the QB and the HB so how do I know whether or not to give it?

Does anyone use the SPEED OPTION this year?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
I don't have any success with the VEER, not sure I understand how to read it. The DE comes up field for both the QB and the HB so how do I know whether or not to give it?
  • Grab 2 controllers.
  • Head into play now.
  • Put D's controller on aggressive option defense (always play the QB).
  • Run a bunch of inverted veers to see what a "play the QB" looks like.
  • Put the D's controller on conservative option defense (always play the HB).
  • Run a bunch of inverted veers to see what a "crash on the HB" looks like.

That's the best way to learn to recognize the read for various options.

Now, with that being said, I've had little success with the inverted veer. I can read it just fine. When he crashes on the HB, I can get some good yards with the QB up the gut. However, when he stays at home on the QB, forcing me to give it to the HB, roughly 90% of the time he'll still tackle the HB anyway so he very, very effectively covers both guys when he stays at home. Because of that, the play is nice yards if he crashes, but a near auto-loss if he stays at home so I rarely call it.

With midline options the QB crashes up the middle just as effectively as on an IV, but if you're forced to give to the HB it's much more effective as the DT can't cover them both.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
  • Grab 2 controllers.
  • Head into play now.

Now, with that being said, I've had little success with the inverted veer. I can read it just fine. When he crashes on the HB, I can get some good yards with the QB up the gut. However, when he stays at home on the QB, forcing me to give it to the HB, roughly 90% of the time he'll still tackle the HB anyway so he very, very effectively covers both guys when he stays at home. Because of that, the play is nice yards if he crashes, but a near auto-loss if he stays at home so I rarely call it.

With midline options the QB crashes up the middle just as effectively as on an IV, but if you're forced to give to the HB it's much more effective as the DT can't cover them both.
you have to get the ai to attack the center of the line, ie I use it on short yardage when they will blitz up the center a lot. If you have a speed hb, you will get lots of yards.

as for option types, the Dart Option is my favorite. Basically the Read Option with an extra blocker for the RB. QB is going to get his yards either way, but the extra blocker makes the times when you hand off pretty effective.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
  • Grab 2 controllers.
  • Head into play now.

Thanks for the reply and the suggested method to learn the read, that is a great idea. I believe you are dead on with the VEER only working when the QB gets to keep it and hence I don't believe it is a play for me. The READ option is sooooo effective now that I have recruited a Mike Vick type at QB it isn't even funny.

I might look into the DART option as suggested above and I occasionally run the SPEED OPTION but most of the time I simply run some variation of the triple option with either a WR in mntn motion or a 2 HB set out of split backfield.

Simply put, the option is so freaking effective this year when you get speed you don't really need anything else. If the CPU flat out over loads to 1 side of the ball I audible to a dive of some sort and look to cut to the weaker side of the field.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

I have some tips for running the read option.
Generally, if a defender stands still then you hand the ball to the RB. If he crashes in, you keep the ball. This formula works every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »