Home

staying interested for 10+ seasons

This is a discussion on staying interested for 10+ seasons within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7
staying interested for 10+ seasons

I noticed that there are several of you who run the same dynasty for 10+ seasons in the How's your dynasty going thread. How do you stay interested for so long? I don't think I can make it past 5 seasons with the same team. Do you switch teams often within a dynasty? Are there points during a dynasty that you become bored and you just stick it out or do you stay interested the entire time? May seem silly to ask but I would like to know how to stick with a dynasty for a while. I use mediocre teams that take several years to build up so I would like to stay with one until I can manage to get to the national championship which takes more than 5 years for me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: staying interested for 10+ seasons

switch teams a lot, switch coaches. I'll get a coach to a destination school , and then go make a new one. Sometimes it's fun to go play in a small school for a bit, and let the big boys do their thing. Sometimes it's fun to take a coach from OC of USA and take him up to Alabama after a decade of toiling, and then just run the country for a while

fwiw I've done this to run my dynasty for 104 years nows
Old 12-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Banned

KnightTime's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulletor
fwiw I've done this to run my dynasty for 104 years nows
Hey my longest is almost 1/21st of that far. You must teach me your ways.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

Thinking back to all my earlier dynasties, I seldom switched teams. I'm in my 41st season now. I hung with Bama for 21 seasons, then I finally got the itch to try another team. I'm really glad I did, but I found that even though I put a lot of thought before taking a new HC position, some panned out better than others in how much I enjoyed my tenure at each.

Current dynasty:
Alabama: 21 years, default team I start a dynasty with. (Roll Tide)
Oregon State: 5 years, very good decision, loved it there, nice change in scenery
UAB: 5 years, really enjoyed building up a cellar-dweller
Northwestern: 4 years, it was okay.
(returned to Bama for one year lol)
Boston College: Stayed just one year, never felt it, had to move on....
Southern Miss: In my fourth year with the Golden Eagles. Very good so far. Taking longer to build up.

So, here's some bullet points on what I've found keeps me interested to continue a dynasty:
  • Go where your heart is. (sounds cheesy, but I need to have a genuine interest in a particular team)
  • This may sound weird, but it is of paramount importance that I rename (last names only) every player I recruit. It's a bit time consuming, but I must have unique names and found that it sometimes endears me to certain players.
  • Consider some house rules to introduce some variables, so every season won't be the same grind. I use a dice-roll system to determine/limit how many 4*/5* players I can sign. If a get a sucky roll, I'm stuck with going after 3* max and must stay within conference states. (for example)
  • Not too picky on if a team's uniforms are accurate, but if a team's uniforms and school colors are appealing to me, it helps.
  • Last but not least, develop some parameters to keep things challenging. If I'm winning almost every game, and not feeling challenged, I can become disinterested quickly. I play on AA, but in addition to sliders that favor the CPU, I heavily limit my quality of talent I can sign and found that this is a very effective method to not become overpowered. The vast majority of my roster is comprised of 3 star players. If I have a player hit 90 over as a senior, it's a rare event.

To answer your question, I do have seasons where I get bored, but I push through to the offseason and see if there's a HC opening that catches my eye.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
MVP

whughes's Arena

StoneCalf, if you could pm me or post here some of your restrictions that you mentioned in your third bullet point I'd appreciate it. I've already implemented a system of recruiting restrictions based on prestige, but a random dice roll system is even better.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

No prob, I'm been running this recruiting dice roll system for about 15 seasons. What I like most about it is that it simulates rough patches as well as occasional great runs, where I might get a few seasons in a row with good rolls, and then I can possibly peak with talent in a few more years and make a conference or NC run.

1 = 3* max, no players permitted outside of conference states
2 = 3* max, 2 players permitted outside of conference states
3 = 4* (x1), rest of recruits 3* max, 2 players permitted outside of conference states
4 = 5* (x1), rest of recruits 3* max, 2 players permitted outside of conference states
5 = 5* (x1), 4* (x1), rest of recruits 3* max, 2 players permitted outside of conference states
6 = 5* (x2), 4* (x1), rest of recruits 3* max, 2 players permitted outside of conference states

Sometimes I tweak to allow an extra player to be signed from a conference state that I have coached in the past.

Of course you can tailor to your needs, but this is my basic framework.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 12-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #7
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Thinking back to all my earlier dynasties, I seldom switched teams. I'm in my 41st season now. I hung with Bama for 21 seasons, then I finally got the itch to try another team. I'm really glad I did, but I found that even though I put a lot of thought before taking a new HC position, some panned out better than others in how much I enjoyed my tenure at each.

Current dynasty:
Alabama: 21 years, default team I start a dynasty with. (Roll Tide)
Oregon State: 5 years, very good decision, loved it there, nice change in scenery
UAB: 5 years, really enjoyed building up a cellar-dweller
Northwestern: 4 years, it was okay.
(returned to Bama for one year lol)
Boston College: Stayed just one year, never felt it, had to move on....
Southern Miss: In my fourth year with the Golden Eagles. Very good so far. Taking longer to build up.

So, here's some bullet points on what I've found keeps me interested to continue a dynasty:
  • Go where your heart is. (sounds cheesy, but I need to have a genuine interest in a particular team)
  • This may sound weird, but it is of paramount importance that I rename (last names only) every player I recruit. It's a bit time consuming, but I must have unique names and found that it sometimes endears me to certain players.
  • Consider some house rules to introduce some variables, so every season won't be the same grind. I use a dice-roll system to determine/limit how many 4*/5* players I can sign. If a get a sucky roll, I'm stuck with going after 3* max and must stay within conference states. (for example)
  • Not too picky on if a team's uniforms are accurate, but if a team's uniforms and school colors are appealing to me, it helps.
  • Last but not least, develop some parameters to keep things challenging. If I'm winning almost every game, and not feeling challenged, I can become disinterested quickly. I play on AA, but in addition to sliders that favor the CPU, I heavily limit my quality of talent I can sign and found that this is a very effective method to not become overpowered. The vast majority of my roster is comprised of 3 star players. If I have a player hit 90 over as a senior, it's a rare event.

To answer your question, I do have seasons where I get bored, but I push through to the offseason and see if there's a HC opening that catches my eye.

Do you play every single game or do you sim some games? If you sim, how many games do you sim each season?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #8
Rookie

Good thread, I've recently redone a dynasty where I started with Ohio St and stayed for 4 years, then left and took over UCLA. My teams/recruiting are pretty good, so I need to figure out a more strategic way of keeping the game fresh.

I like the idea of limiting myself on what caliber recruits and from where.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »