Home

Strict offsides calls - and EA's stance on this

This is a discussion on Strict offsides calls - and EA's stance on this within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0
Strict offsides calls - and EA's stance on this

Ok so we can all agree that the way offsides is called in this game is ridiculous in that it is so exact as to be ludicrous.

Haven't we all been called for offside when the red line is on top of the yellow line?

Or how passive offsides is generally ignored?

So EA's opinion, which I have seen reiterated by different ea dev team members, is that it would be frustrating for the user if offsides was called incorrectly or in a variable method or just mistakes were made in letting one offside call be called onside, etc.

So what they are saying is that the user sure would become frustrated if the game generated errors on its own that the user couldn't control the result of.

This would be fine except the game is riddled with errors that occur outside of the users input.

I submit this fine example.

I am up 5 nil as rapid v. Wien.

I put the controller down and just let the game play itself for the last 10 minutes of the first half. I look up when I hear the ref whistle and lo and behold the CPU has won a PK.

So I pause and rewind. Without me touching the controller the game decided that my defender would jump up with his arms raised to defend a corner kick and then get called for hand ball.

Yeah EA it sure is frustrating when errors happen and you aren't in control. Good job keeping that out of the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (641.3 KB, 108 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Strict offsides calls - and EA's stance on this

A variable offside slider (yes/no) would be great just like the one for handball. Personally, I like having non-exact offside calls. They're a judgement call just like regular fouls.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

There you go! perfect.

That way, no is EA's choice.

And yes will be 99% of the people who play FIFA's choice.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

The rate at which the refs call offsides is astonishing. They never miss a single call, ever. It is an aspect of the game that does not model reality whatsoever and EA should be sad that they produced a game that behaves this way.

And the excuse of "people don't want the game to 'cheat' them" is hogwash. Incorrect referee decisions are a part of the game (sometimes a large part of the game). At the very least it needs to be an option (i.e. how The Show handles variable umps & blown calls).
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

As you mentioned the one where the lines are directly on top of each other is the most infuriating. But EAs stance on this is the same as fumbled snaps in madden. They don't want to hurt the tournament players' feelings with unpredictable game elements. This is what they mean by "people don't want the game to 'cheat' them"

It doesn't seem as easy as an on/off switch like handball where it's just ignored, but they could easily swallow their pride, pick up the phone and contact the MLB The Show programmers and ask how they modeled variable strike zones.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 02-06-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

It's funny, you know, because in the NHL series for the past few years I've seen offsides not get called from time to time. They definitely miss a few offside calls, not sure why FIFA cant ...
Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
As you mentioned the one where the lines are directly on top of each other is the most infuriating. But EAs stance on this is the same as fumbled snaps in madden. They don't want to hurt the tournament players' feelings with unpredictable game elements. This is what they mean by "people don't want the game to 'cheat' them"

It doesn't seem as easy as an on/off switch like handball where it's just ignored, but they could easily swallow their pride, pick up the phone and contact the MLB The Show programmers and ask how they modeled variable strike zones.

It should be as easy as a switch. They had lenient/strict refs. Why can't that apply to line judges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
At the very least it needs to be an option (i.e. how The Show handles variable umps & blown calls).
The Show is an example of how not to implement a variable ump/ref system. Doesn't work correctly when on (many pitches 3-5 inches in the zone are called balls and no MLB ump is that bad), and doesn't work correctly when off (wrong ball/strikes are still called).

There is a long list of programming issues in FIFA; aspects of the game that need attention, that do not work correctly, or are flat-out broken. The offside call system is, when all is said and done, working correctly. I would prefer they fix the broken things first, before moving on to breaking things that are currently working.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »