Home

How To Beat The Big Clubs?

This is a discussion on How To Beat The Big Clubs? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2
How To Beat The Big Clubs?

Hey guys,

Every year I always want to know how to beat the big teams like Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

I’m playing my career mode with Nottingham Forest on world class. My next BPL game is against league leaders Chelsea and they’re undefeated. I’ve also got games coming up against the teams I mentioned above.

I want to put myself in the best possible position to win the game, or at the very least, draw. But who wants to draw?

So what tactics and game play do I need to do to beat Chelsea?

I’ve been playing a 4-4-2 diamond and a 4-2-3-1 and I’ve been having mixed results with both. I've been playing those formations because they work towards their player strengths of my team. Assombalonga, Lansbury, Chalobah etc.
I understand that different teams play different formations and that I should change my formation for each opponent. But I don’t have any ideas of what to formation to play against Chelsea and the rest of the top clubs, in order to stand a chance.

The custom tactics I use are Ovvy’s found on his YouTube channel.

How do Chelsea play? Counter attacking football? What are their areas of weakness that I can exploit?

If anyone has any ideas of how to beat Chelsea and the rest of the top Premier League clubs, as well as what formation people think is the best all around, please let me know!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How To Beat The Big Clubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBunch88
Hey guys,

Every year I always want to know how to beat the big teams like Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

I’m playing my career mode with Nottingham Forest on world class. My next BPL game is against league leaders Chelsea and they’re undefeated. I’ve also got games coming up against the teams I mentioned above.

I want to put myself in the best possible position to win the game, or at the very least, draw. But who wants to draw?

So what tactics and game play do I need to do to beat Chelsea?

I’ve been playing a 4-4-2 diamond and a 4-2-3-1 and I’ve been having mixed results with both. I've been playing those formations because they work towards their player strengths of my team. Assombalonga, Lansbury, Chalobah etc.
I understand that different teams play different formations and that I should change my formation for each opponent. But I don’t have any ideas of what to formation to play against Chelsea and the rest of the top clubs, in order to stand a chance.

The custom tactics I use are Ovvy’s found on his YouTube channel.

How do Chelsea play? Counter attacking football? What are their areas of weakness that I can exploit?

If anyone has any ideas of how to beat Chelsea and the rest of the top Premier League clubs, as well as what formation people think is the best all around, please let me know!
That depends also on what type of goals you conceed the most. Is it in counters! Or do you conceed them while defending in your own box?
I noticed I wasn´t so good defending on the box so now I start my games with a high pressing, high agressive team and set them to attack with the D-Pad. This way mos my players start to press high in the midfield and that works well on keeping CPU busy. Also use the offside line. If I were you I would give this a try and use the tactic with most man on midfield. It´ll still be hard to score but if you do then use the park the bus and try to hit them on the counter for a second goal. I won one of my matches like that. They kept trying to draw but park the bus puts everyone behind so there´s not much room for them to play.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Und Lahm's Arena

OVR: 1

I like to play 5-man midfield Vs the good teams. It clogs up the wings, especially since the CPU loves the wings this year.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Pro

boxers's Arena

I've found success using a defensive 4-3-3 and counter-attacking tactic against Chelsea. Have your wingers cut in, and you will usually find some space. You aren't going to stop the Chelsea attack, so let them over commit and tire themselves out then beat them on the counter. This tactic works even better if you have pacey wingers with ball control and CMs with long passing skills.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxers
I've found success using a defensive 4-3-3 and counter-attacking tactic against Chelsea. Have your wingers cut in, and you will usually find some space. You aren't going to stop the Chelsea attack, so let them over commit and tire themselves out then beat them on the counter. This tactic works even better if you have pacey wingers with ball control and CMs with long passing skills.
Just beat Chelsea 4-0 using this system. Pep? Is that you?

Also just won 4-1 against Swansea and I’m back at 3rd in the Premier League.

Is it just practice? Trial and error? Or did you look at the way a certain team play and adopt that into your game?

But the 4-3-3 defensive, works wonders for me as I have a lot of midfield players and not many wingers. I just put three strikers up front and it seems to work!

Quote:
That depends also on what type of goals you conceed the most. Is it in counters! Or do you conceed them while defending in your own box?
I noticed I wasn´t so good defending on the box so now I start my games with a high pressing, high agressive team and set them to attack with the D-Pad. This way mos my players start to press high in the midfield and that works well on keeping CPU busy. Also use the offside line. If I were you I would give this a try and use the tactic with most man on midfield. It´ll still be hard to score but if you do then use the park the bus and try to hit them on the counter for a second goal. I won one of my matches like that. They kept trying to draw but park the bus puts everyone behind so there´s not much room for them to play.
I also took your advice, started the game with a counter attack, offside trap attacking mentality. As soon as I got my first goal I parked the bus and got the rest of my three goals from counter attacking. Thanks very much!

Again, is this just practice? Or did you too adopt the style of the way a team plays?

Personally, I really want to play like Barcelona / Bayern Munich. Basically like Pep Guardiola, but there's a reason his philosophy works. He has the best players in the world in his teams!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Rookie

Und Lahm's Arena

OVR: 1

Well, Pep at Bayern is all about overloading midfield. He's been using a 3 man back line almost exclusively this year.

Bayern has mainly played variations of the 5-2-3 in most domestic games.
Basically he's using 2 wing backs, Bernat and Rafinha, to provide width during attack, and then build a 5 man defense when needed. Here's my FIFA version of the formation he used yesterday vs Bremen (6-0 win)

The wingers have been playing much further infield than usual, especially Robben who used to hug the touchline under Heynkes.

Sometime he's thrown in a 3-4-3, but defensively it plays more like a 4-2-3-1. It certainly helps to have a player like Alaba, who's a natural Mid that is also an excellent LB. And Lahm, of course.

Last edited by Und Lahm; 10-19-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBunch88
Just beat Chelsea 4-0 using this system. Pep? Is that you?

Also just won 4-1 against Swansea and I’m back at 3rd in the Premier League.

Is it just practice? Trial and error? Or did you look at the way a certain team play and adopt that into your game?

But the 4-3-3 defensive, works wonders for me as I have a lot of midfield players and not many wingers. I just put three strikers up front and it seems to work!

I also took your advice, started the game with a counter attack, offside trap attacking mentality. As soon as I got my first goal I parked the bus and got the rest of my three goals from counter attacking. Thanks very much!

Again, is this just practice? Or did you too adopt the style of the way a team plays?

Personally, I really want to play like Barcelona / Bayern Munich. Basically like Pep Guardiola, but there's a reason his philosophy works. He has the best players in the world in his teams!
Funny or not, I also play 4-3-3 but only because I don´t have great strikers. So I use one striker and two good wingers cutting inside to score goals. Also gave them the instruction to help on defense. I made a custom tactic because preset ones weren´t doing exactly as I wanted. So after a few matches I made the custom one with fast build up, free form for creating chances, high agression and pressing and offside trap. That makes them defend in the midfield instead of allowing the CPU to play near my box.
Depending on the team I´m playing I use defensive mentality or ultra attacking. If CPU gets up on the pitch, I use attacking because I can easily explore the space tey leave in defence. But sometimes CPU is too defending, wich means no space to explore and I remember I had to use balanced mentality and started to play in midfield, passing around. When CPU got bored and try to go up for pressing, space started to show up and I could manage to explore it. This doesn´t mean I can win easily, but for my team its the best tactic I could find.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und Lahm
Well, Pep at Bayern is all about overloading midfield. He's been using a 3 man back line almost exclusively this year.

Bayern has mainly played variations of the 5-2-3 in most domestic games.
Basically he's using 2 wing backs, Bernat and Rafinha, to provide width during attack, and then build a 5 man defense when needed. Here's my FIFA version of the formation he used yesterday vs Bremen (6-0 win)

The wingers have been playing much further infield than usual, especially Robben who used to hug the touchline under Heynkes.

Sometime he's thrown in a 3-4-3, but defensively it plays more like a 4-2-3-1. It certainly helps to have a player like Alaba, who's a natural Mid that is also an excellent LB. And Lahm, of course.
Can you tell me more about your style of play with Bayern? Also what are your tactics? Do you stick with the default tactics? Or do you create your own?

And Pep plays possessional football? Tiki taka? I read somewhere that he hates tiki taka! But the general idea of holding possession until his team create a chance and score, that is what he does? Tiki taka is more pointless, he says.

I also heard that Bayern Munich play counter attacking football?

Here in the UK, I only watch the Premier League. But Germany know how to play football and I would love to watch a few games from the Bundesliga.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »