Home

Question About Positions

This is a discussion on Question About Positions within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Question About Positions

Can someone give an overview of the positions and some of the better attributes and what you're looking for in players with these position designations and where they fit best formation wise.

For Example
RCB-LCB : Any difference from a CB
LB vs LWB (RB vs RWB)

RM, RCM, RAM (and Left)
CM and CAM, CDM

LW vs. LS

LS vs. ST

What use are the different designations? Like a LW playing at a LM position, if ratings are better is there some kind of hidden drop? I have a simple idea but could use more info on these CAM, LWB, LS, LW, ST designations and what they really mean and what general formation they benefit in?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Question About Positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
Can someone give an overview of the positions and some of the better attributes and what you're looking for in players with these position designations and where they fit best formation wise.

For Example
RCB-LCB : Any difference from a CB
LB vs LWB (RB vs RWB)

RM, RCM, RAM (and Left)
CM and CAM, CDM

LW vs. LS

LS vs. ST

What use are the different designations? Like a LW playing at a LM position, if ratings are better is there some kind of hidden drop? I have a simple idea but could use more info on these CAM, LWB, LS, LW, ST designations and what they really mean and what general formation they benefit in?
For your CB's, you should be able to put any CB at LCB or RCB, it's essentially the same position.

Not sure if this will help you, but when in a menu if you click the right analog stick down, you can see the players attributes. If you move to the page with their information on it such as age, etc, then you can see all the positions they can play. Keeping them in one of those positions will help.

Also, a little tip, say you have a LM, which means his preferred foot will most likely be his left, for crossing balls in. However, you need to play him at RM, in that same screen I mentioned before, you can view how good he is with his "weak foot" on a rating from 1-5 stars. In that screen you also see what their preferred foot is.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

It seems to me that ST/LS/RS are all pretty much the same. Someone with LS or RS is simply more accustomed to play in a 2-striker front than a ST who is more accustomed to a 1-striker front. Meanwhile, a CF is usually more accustomed to a 3-striker front (or perhaps the second striker in a 4-4-1-1 using a ST and CF rather than ST and CAM).

Now, you might pay attention to LS/RS if you're playing a 2-striker front, as a player could easily play better on one side than the other, but if you're talking about switching from say a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 (with a CAM and ST), and you have LS and ST or RS and ST, or LS and RS, then whichever player was the better striker in the 4-4-2 is still very likely to be the best striker in the 4-4-1-1.

When it comes to LWB/RWB, this is a position that I generally will not put in my formation unless I have a player that I truly want playing as a wingback (regardless of what he is designated). The best example in my opinion of someone playing this position is perhaps Riise for Roma. The winger's number one priority is defense, always. But, he should be shy to coming all the way up the field. To me, this is kind of a specialty position. The number one attribute I look at though as stamina. If a player doesn't have great stamina, he's not a wingback. A LDM/RDM with great stamina can usually play as a LWB/RWB, however, I don't generally like moving LB/RB to a LWB/RWB position regardless of stamina because they're generally lacking in the offensive skills a WB really needs, so I'd just as soon keep him back and conserve his stamina.

Also, I consider attacking mids and forwards somewhat interchangeable. I'm playing a Player-Manager career with ManCity, running a 4-2-3-1. ManCity has plenty of strikers, and while the starting attack mids are great, there's not much to choose from on the bench, so generally, when I need to sub the attack mids, I bring in ST and LW/RW from the bench. I play the CAM with my virtual pro. Though sometimes, if I feel like playing less defense, I'll move Tevez back to the CAM spot and my virtual pro up to the ST spot.

If you're overly paranoid about the player's OVR rating, you can always edit the formation. If you want a LW to play as a LAM or a LM, you can always move him back as far as the game will let you and still keep him as a LW, and turn down his offensive work rate while turning his defensive work rate up, etc. I don't know that this matters that much though.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

the overall ratings are kinda buggy so i tend to not pay attention to them, just the players preferred positions, skill ratings, stamina, weak foot, etc.

When the overalls change, I dont know if i should really pay attention...while the player might be rated lower at a specific 'position'...it all really depends on how you use him in that position. You can have a position on the field and a players overall will change just by changing the name of the position, without moving the base position, work rate, attacking direction, etc. Are there hidden attribute drops just based on the name? or does the lower overall just signify what their overall rating would be in that general position name regardless of anything else?

And I'm sure you all have seen the overall rating issues, but I'll name a few that I've seen:
1 - player card rating says 60. However in the substitution screen, he is only rated 58. He isnt in a position getting an overall rating drop, he is on the bench!
2 - player put in at CAM, rated 75. I sub someone else in, CAM is now rated 73. Move CAM to RM then back to CAM, and he is back to 75.
3- side doesnt matter. LB with a 1 star weak foot is rated the same at RB. same with all other postion sides. Except with a custom formation. I made a custom 4-1-2-1-2, which has a LM and a RM. I check a RM and he is 70 at RM, 58 at LM. I check a LM and he is 52 at LM, 74 at RM???? Unless the attack directions or work rates have something to do with the rating, it just seems bugged.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »