Home

Line Change Mechanism suggestion

This is a discussion on Line Change Mechanism suggestion within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12
Line Change Mechanism suggestion

What do people think?

If both PP lines are in the yellow (either D or F) can we also include the normal lines in addition (ie display)

PP1
PP2
FOR1
FOR2
FOR3
FOR4

Late in a period its a pain to try and move people in and out of lines due to tiredness.

Also with 10s or left on the power play can we also default the above to show? Would be nice to simply select the normal line that should be out there when the PP ends.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Line Change Mechanism suggestion

Definitely a good idea. Actually I wish they would add a PP and PK line.

There's nothing worse than having the CPU take a bunch of dumb penalties in a row and destroying the energy of your top lines. I usually end up burning my timeout in this situation.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 22

Good idea. I would also like the ability to bench a player if need be with a push of a button instead of tinkering with the lines. Or to at least sit my star players in a blowout game. Or have a line called STAR, which would basically be the best players on your team will be out on the ice at the same time, no matter what position they play, except FW and D of coarse, if you really need to score in the last moments of a game or period. And hell even an option to throw 5 FW's on the ice at the same time would be nice as well. For instance, playing as the Pens it can be frustrating at times not being able to have Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and two other FW's out there with them, if you're down by 1 with like 30 seconds left. Putting a tough guy on the ice before the faceoff with a push of a button would be nice too.

The only reason I used the Pens as an example and not my beloved Rangers, is because the Rangers don't have 5 FW's that can score

Last edited by GreenReign86; 08-05-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Pro

Lordofthething's Arena

OVR: 9

Great idea!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Pro

Pielet's Arena

I tend to play on line changes at auto but still swap lines constantly in the game as the computer does a horrible job doing it. I can never seem though to get them to swap on a power play during live action. I can hang out all day behind my net and swap PP lines and the forwards simply stay there, but on a regular line change they will immediately head to the bench (even with the puck in my end being controlled by the cpu).

Am I missing something on the PP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Speaking of line changes, it'd be nice if you could program the line matchups before the game and be able to see which players are on the cpu controlled team's lines when doing so.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Maybe this would be a god thread for someone to explain exactly how line changes work in the game. I'm a relative hockey newbie, and have been gettign up to speed over the last two games with how to arrange lines, alter strategies, and just learn the ins and outs of smart hockey.

I've been playing more NHL 10 recently, in anticiaption of the new game, and found myself trying to match lines instead of just letting the CPU do it for me. But I still don't really understand when changes take effect. And worse, I'm not even sure of what my goals should be.

I'm assuming there is a different strategy based on if you are home or away, since it gets mentioned in-game. When lining up for a face-off, can I put in whoever I want before the puck is dropped?

Which lines do you have face off? Does the CPU teams consider the third line the checking line, or is it the 4th?

I'd like to see a system that makes it a little more clear who is in for the CPU at any given time, as well as your own line. I wouldn't mind a option that would leave the lines displayed, which i could toggle off as I get more comfortable with the interface and who is who.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Pro

Pielet's Arena

http://www.nhlofficials.com/rule17.asp

Jayhawker,

The home team has the advantage of knowing what other line for the other team is BEFORE sending out their line. This is the home side advantage the game and in real life gets mentioned. If you are patient you will notice when home in the game, it will tell you what line the other team selects (although I wish it tells you both lines - for and def). It tells you usually right after the first swipe graphic. Rule 17d.

The other line oddity is in the 2nd period. This is when line changes take place the FURTHEST from your defensive zone and thus kind of eliminates changing lines when on defense. This makes line changes a bit more tactical in the 2nd period.

In general line matchups are usually made for defensive purposes. For example in this past years Stanley Cup, the Flyers wanted Chris Pronger out there with the Jonathan Toews line. As you can imagine, this was easy at home versus away. In general the 4th line is a defensive line. I typically put 2 PWF/TGH wingers in conjunction with a defensive minded center. I make sure the center has a great faceoff ability in addition to their defensive approach (for the Blackhawks this year, think John Madden in the game). You typically will put this team out there sitting on a lead, trying to maintain puck possession. The other 3 forward lines are typically offensive lines, where I simply try to matchup playmakers with snipers, danglers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pielet; 08-08-2010 at 09:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »