Home

The whole sitting back in the crease thing drives me insane

This is a discussion on The whole sitting back in the crease thing drives me insane within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Rookie

meep316's Arena

OVR: 5
The whole sitting back in the crease thing drives me insane

How unfriggingrealistic is it that someone can go as far back into the crease as humanly possible, and it makes it literally impossible to score on them? I'm a great player, and I can shoot, snipe, all that with the best of them. But when a game goes to a shootout, and the assclown on the other side does nothing but sit back as far as he can in net, and goes into the butterfly, no matter what I do, the puck will never, ever, ever go in.

Doesn't matter who's shooting it, doesn't matter how great of a shot, he saves it every time. Classic NHL idiotic cheese bull****. Please GOD let this be fixed in 12, or I will rage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: The whole sitting back in the crease thing drives me insane

I can score on it. Just do a backhand to forehand deke and shoot. Goal 9 times out of 10 for me.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I can score on it. Just do a backhand to forehand deke and shoot. Goal 9 times out of 10 for me.
I've never faced such a player online (play mostly off-line), but how would deking help against a goalie who sits deep in the crease and doesnt move?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah I hate when people do this but there I've definitely had some success scoring against it. You want to do the opposite of what youre actually supposed to do when the goalie is back in his crease. Deke because it's pretty tough to score on a shot when the goalie plays so far back. I just do the backhand to forehand deke or vice versa and I'd say it works more than 50 % of the time. Important to note that I'm only talking about shootouts.
Dallas Mavericks
Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

This has happened every time my games go into a shootout. I have never played one person who hasn't done it. I've even gone into shootout versus mode a couple of times just to see if anyone plays goalie realistically. I have not seen it once. I saw it back in 10 because nobody had found out that glitch until a few months after the game was released. Otherwise I have not seen anyone play correctly at all. It totally takes the fun out of the game.

In all reality it isn't that hard to play goalie in shootouts when you actually play the position how it's truly supposed to be played. This is why it ticks me off so much. I'm a goalie myself so I think like I would on the ice. I'd say about 95% of the payers always try to fake one way and go back the other. So what I do in NHL 11 is depending on what side of the net they come down just don't move at all because most likely they will just come back to that side and shoot. It's really not that hard to play goalie realistically in NHL 11, but of course people have to ruin the game for others.

The way to counter guys sitting in the back of the net is to just make a bunch of moves and many times they will cave in and try to move their goalie. Otherwise do a move like you would on a breakaway and many times it will go in. It just kind of depends. The other way to counter it is to just win in regulation or OT. Shootouts couldn't be any more unrealistic in this game. It's a total flip flop of what both the goalie and player would do in real life.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

OVR: 7

Hence why I don't play sports games online. Too many morons.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

They defiantly need to put more emphasis on angles. If you know anything about playing goalie, its that you come out of your crease to cut down the angle when players are shooting from afar and back up as they get closer.

Dropping down to your knees early should give the other players an easy top corner too.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillHammer
They defiantly need to put more emphasis on angles. If you know anything about playing goalie, its that you come out of your crease to cut down the angle when players are shooting from afar and back up as they get closer.

Dropping down to your knees early should give the other players an easy top corner too.
What's actually being taught now is for the goalie to come to the top of their crease or a tad above depending on size and speed of the goalie. The key is for the goalie to set their feet. It's harder to move into a slide to the right or left post if your way out. You have to remember the player skating forward is faster than the goalie skating backward. If their feet are quiet it allows the goalie to react faster to a shot while not doing the process of backing up and reacting to the shot at the same time. Then if the player decides to deke the goalie slightly moves back then goes into their slide or reaction to the deke. They have less distance to travel from the top of the crease. Also remember that goalies in the NHL are bigger and faster so they don't need to come out of the net very far any more. It actually hurts them more than it helps. Of course each goalie has their own style though so I'm not 100% right about every goalie. There are still quite a few who do come way out of their crease. What I am saying is what is what is being taught now. The main idea centered around goalies today is to play a style that uses the least amount of energy possible. With goalies being so big this helps a lot with that concept.

It's actually really easy to see the older goalies in the league, from the younger goalies. The older goalies will be pretty far out, but the younger bigger goalies will be at the top of their crease. You can also see a little variation depending on the country of the goalie. As a goalie myself I watch goalies constantly. I just love to see all of the different variations of saves goalies do. In fact that is truly how I learned the position. The truth is there really is no perfect style which makes them so exciting. No question the most exciting athletes in sports.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »