Home

NHL 12: The Intermission, Reworked

This is a discussion on NHL 12: The Intermission, Reworked within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
NHL 12: The Intermission, Reworked

Now, I've gone at length about how much I dislike the current "replay reel into Game Scouting Report" for the intermissions in the NHL games, and I think part of that lies in how simplistic it seems. For all the emphasis given on presentation in NHL 11 (repeated commentary and cutscenes aside), it's odd that something as simple as the intermission can be disregarded like it has been. While I'm all for the game analyzing your play and giving you feedback on how to improve it or whatnot, giving vague advice without any further explanation isn't the way to go about it. So, for your approval, rather than excise the GSR for an intermission report in NHL 12, how about integrating it into a larger intermission experience.

Imagine if you will, once the period ends, you're not whisked away into a replay reel of the period past, but rather into an extensive intermission experience with elaborate graphics and that sort of thing. From there, you're given your menu which looks like this:

RESUME GAME
BOX SCORES (or "AROUND THE LEAGUE" in Playoffs/Be A GM)
- LEAGUE LEADERS
- SCORES AROUND THE LEAGUE
- STANDINGS
GAME STATS
- TOP PERFORMERS
- TEAM COMPARISON
- GAME SUMMARY
- PLAYER STATS
- SHOT CHART
TEAM MANAGEMENT
- GAME SCOUTING REPORT
- STRATEGIES
- EDIT LINES
- INJURY UPDATE
TOP HIGHLIGHTS
- SAVE OF THE PERIOD
- HIT OF THE PERIOD
SETTINGS
CUSTOM CAMERA
EXIT

Meanwhile, the menu itself is laid out as if you were a fan watching the Zamboni do its run-through. (Not literally, but the menu is set against the Zamboni in the background.) Now, an explanation of the added intermission options:

- "Around The League/Box Scores" serves as the link to your game and the league your team plays in. While in exhibition, you'd just get your simple box scores (like in NHL 94), in Be A GM/Season/Playoffs is where this menu gets its focus. There would be a "League Leaders" option where you can see the leading scorers, points getters, goalies, and etc. Also, there is the "Standings" option, which shows the league standings and whatnot. Finally, the "Box Scores" which shows the scores of games being played that night.

- Under the "Game Stats" category, you've got a "Top Performers" option, which would list the noteworthy players of merit so far in a game. Also, there is the "Shot Chart", which is exactly that, a shot chart showing successful shots.

- As noted, the Game Scouting Report hasn't been removed, but rather placed under the "Team Management" category. While the format is the same as it is right now and there will be the same adjustments and successes, the player can now highlight each bullet point and be given both a visual and oral explanation of the particular adjustment. For example if "Take Away Their Chances And Get The Puck Deep" is shown, you can highlight it and you'd hear the announcers tell you about it in greater detail, while a chart of the ice is shown, giving you a visual example of what to do. This way, it doesn't just feel like the game is saying "Here, do this" and not giving you the specifics on how to do "this".

- The "Top Highlights" menu is basically the same thing that pops up at the end of the game, but rather, it gathers the top plays, hits, and saves of a given period.

While some may object to this emphasis on something that's mostly skipped over, I'm sure people who play the EA NHL games for their dynasties and GM seasons and so on would appreciate the added changes to give a closely-knit experience that places you in a changing and expanding universe. (I know, that last bit sounds cheesy, but just go with it. :P)

Last edited by Lightbringer719; 04-24-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
MVP

jack1535's Arena

I would love to see scores around the league. I dont think standings are needed during the game but everything else looks good
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Vanman2425's Arena

Re: NHL 12: The Intermission, Reworked

Some sort of ticker or score overlay in Be A GM Mode is long overdue. You feel like your team is operating in a vaccum by itself.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I think NHL 12 needs HUGE upgrades (LOVE the ideas in post 1, minus the need to see standings). If it's basically the same game as NHL 11 (and NHL 10, and NHL 09, etc.) I won't be wasting my money on this.

There are some great ideas presented in the forums here. I'm disappointed that RedShirt (or anyone from EA) hasn't been around much here lately.

I feel that EA thinks they can just add some new twist and call it a day... If 2K ever ups the competition EA could be in trouble. I'm not a 2K fanboy at all...but I hope they ramp it up. EA needs incentive to work harder as this title is now stale and boring...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I think NHL 12 needs HUGE upgrades (LOVE the ideas in post 1, minus the need to see standings). If it's basically the same game as NHL 11 (and NHL 10, and NHL 09, etc.) I won't be wasting my money on this.

There are some great ideas presented in the forums here. I'm disappointed that RedShirt (or anyone from EA) hasn't been around much here lately.

I feel that EA thinks they can just add some new twist and call it a day... If 2K ever ups the competition EA could be in trouble. I'm not a 2K fanboy at all...but I hope they ramp it up. EA needs incentive to work harder as this title is now stale and boring...
Yeah and it pains me to say it but EA's focus is clearly towards online play with this title. I get that EASHL is popular and HUT is also pretty popular but I know there's still a good portion of people that buy this game for the OFFLINE facets.

Like you said, MK, there's little difference from year-to-year in terms of what has been done to the Be A GM mode.

It would be great to see a complete presentation overhaul and some other added features to Be A GM, but I'm not holding my breath.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yeah and it pains me to say it but EA's focus is clearly towards online play with this title. I get that EASHL is popular and HUT is also pretty popular but I know there's still a good portion of people that buy this game for the OFFLINE facets.

Like you said, MK, there's little difference from year-to-year in terms of what has been done to the Be A GM mode.

It would be great to see a complete presentation overhaul and some other added features to Be A GM, but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe we'll see a massive overhaul of presentation once they get done with the three-year real-time physics stuff.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

ALSO, EA should add in scoring chances, so in the game, the ticker will show a few times during a game the scoring chances of each team (like TSN does).
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102
ALSO, EA should add in scoring chances, so in the game, the ticker will show a few times during a game the scoring chances of each team (like TSN does).
Definitely! I'm surprised that that there aren't stats for scoring chances, given the emphasis that the announcers put on them. (And no, "Gets the majority of the chances" doesn't help.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »