Home

Speedy Skaters and Smart Goalies Redefine NHL 13 (IGN)

This is a discussion on Speedy Skaters and Smart Goalies Redefine NHL 13 (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Speedy Skaters and Smart Goalies Redefine NHL 13 (IGN)

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/05/2...edefine-nhl-13

Quote:
Skaters in NHL 13 are quicker than ever. They take stronger strides down the ice and consequently take wider turns. They can ease off the gas and glide, which works wonders for luring defenseman for a bait-and-switch. EA uses the word "explosiveness" to emphasize how powerful these guys are, and it fits fairly well. Skaters can blow by each other, but not so much so that they always escape. A winger might be able to pick up his pace as an opponent gets close, but that opponent can turn around if he's smart.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Speedy Skaters and Smart Goalies Redefine NHL 13 (IGN)

That article scares me...I really hope this doesn't lead to a more up and down game than it already was. I know there is the AI changes as well, but this just screams up/down fast paced hockey.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
That article scares me...I really hope this doesn't lead to a more up and down game than it already was. I know there is the AI changes as well, but this just screams up/down fast paced hockey.
I don't think so, from what I've read. At top speed, skaters aren't going to be able to dodge and weave easily. You won't be able to take a 4th liner and have him skate like Ovechkin. If he's flying down the wing at top speed, he's going to open himself up to a massive check. That will be the difference, according to what I've read, that only the top-tier players are really going to be able to maneuver well at those speeds.

That all being said, I hope the AI is smart enough to see that and attack. If it's like NHL 11 where I can fly into the zone and the defender just backs off me all the way to the slot, then there could be issues. But, we have to wait and see.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I don't think so, from what I've read. At top speed, skaters aren't going to be able to dodge and weave easily. You won't be able to take a 4th liner and have him skate like Ovechkin. If he's flying down the wing at top speed, he's going to open himself up to a massive check. That will be the difference, according to what I've read, that only the top-tier players are really going to be able to maneuver well at those speeds.

That all being said, I hope the AI is smart enough to see that and attack. If it's like NHL 11 where I can fly into the zone and the defender just backs off me all the way to the slot, then there could be issues. But, we have to wait and see.
Top players? Is that the 15 or so they have rated in the 90's are does that also include the 100's that are rated in the 80's? I hope your right, but I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic here until I play the game.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Honestly, what was the last EA hockey game that wasn't predominantly up-and-down?
I can't think of one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Honestly, what was the last EA hockey game that wasn't predominantly up-and-down?
I can't think of one.
...my bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I really hope that's the case. That's a big part of hockey that EA has never done right.
Guys like Gabby, Ovi, Sid, Giroux can all continue churning their legs at top speed AND control the puck.
If it's limited to the top skaters, then it'll work nice.
But again, I'll hold my breath.
Chances are, when playing against the Islanders, you'll see Trevor Gillies flying down the wing and deking Chara out to score a top shelf goal. Why? Because these guys are amazing on a pond or during practice. Because practice and real games are exactly the same! DUH!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Top players? Is that the 15 or so they have rated in the 90's are does that also include the 100's that are rated in the 80's? I hope your right, but I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic here until I play the game.
/shrug Great question. According to http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nh...ut-nhl-13.aspx :

Quote:
2. Going fast has its limitations. Players will get fatigued faster, and only elite players like Sidney Crosby are able to stickhandle and take accurate shots while skating at top speed. If you are flying down the wing as fast as your player can skate and you try to make an aggressive turn toward the net, your player may lose his footing and wipe out. The controller will give players feedback by rumbling when they are pressing too hard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »