Home

Cross Crease Goals

This is a discussion on Cross Crease Goals within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Rookie

Tonic's Arena

OVR: 0
Cross Crease Goals

I know this is a topic that has had a decent amount of discussion in the past. Redshirt has said that many people have mixed opinions on the ability of goalies to make frequent cross crease saves, and from what it sounded like, the frequency of goalies making these saves will not be lowered in the future.

So I was just hoping for some community insight on the topic. First off, I'm an offline gamer that likes a good, realistic challenge from the CPU. Personally, I believe that the goalies are too good on cross crease passers. There's no way that I can take Datsyuk and Zetterberg, have them stand 8 feet apart on each side of the goalie, pass the puck from one to the other, and only score 1 out of 10 times. Jimmy Howard is a decent goalie but he's not amazing. I even put Passing Accuracy, Passing Assistance, and One Timer Accuracy all the way up, and turned Goalie Reaction down to 0. I've tested with Tuner 1.00, 1.05 and 1.06 and have seen no difference (not that EA said there should be).

With that said, what do you guys think on the matter? I was really starting to enjoy the game but after doing this testing, it's going to be very hard for me to enjoy the game if I can work hard and have a great shift, only to find a man wide open on the other side of the net, hit him with a perfect pass, only to have the goalie warp over to make the save.

Goalies making this kind of save should be the exception, not the rule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Cross Crease Goals

Yeah, cross creases were too frequent in NHL 12, so they kind of overcompensated in NHL 13 by having goals make unrealistic saves to stop them. Fortunately, if you keep the shot low, you can shoot under the goalie and score. I'm finding that works more often than just hoping a regular shot goes in, but takes a little practice...so knowing that, I'm kind of glad it's not super easy, as it gives me a bit of an edge versus those who insist/only know how to do it the old fashioned way.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3

The goalies read the passes well on 2 on 1's or 2 on 0's.

Have a look at this video, arround the 30 seconds mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbY8R7vpBOo

"The goalie tracks the primary and secondary threat at all times".

So, I understand your frustration, but in a game situation, instead of going for the "primary or secondary threat", try to pass it to the third man instead, if you have the chance. You'll see much more one-timer goals that way.

Try it in practice in a 3 on 2.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

I really have no problem with cross creases. Even before it was tuned. It's not going to work 100% of the time, but if you don't try to constantly set it up, it worked for me. If you use LT and "Square up" for the pass, it works better and if the goalie commits, shoot it by him. I do have a problem with one timers from the point or across the ice. The goalies play them too good. If Goalies, get in butterfly, especially if there's 3 or 4 guys in front, there's no way he can know where the puck is going or coming from. In this game, however, they're magically in position and making a routine save. I would have less of a problem if the goalies made the sprawling save or some of the saves we see on deflections.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I really have no problem with cross creases. Even before it was tuned. It's not going to work 100% of the time, but if you don't try to constantly set it up, it worked for me. If you use LT and "Square up" for the pass, it works better and if the goalie commits, shoot it by him. I do have a problem with one timers from the point or across the ice. The goalies play them too good. If Goalies, get in butterfly, especially if there's 3 or 4 guys in front, there's no way he can know where the puck is going or coming from. In this game, however, they're magically in position and making a routine save. I would have less of a problem if the goalies made the sprawling save or some of the saves we see on deflections.
What is your pass assist slider set at? With this slider set at 4 by default online, I have no problem scoring one timers, but I don't find it realistic at all, it's tape to tape passes all the way. However, with this slider set at 0 or 1 offline to get a realistic and true feeling to the game, passes are really though and simply getting a one timer on net is hard, so I find that goalies are just too quick in their lateral movements for these kind of settings. Goalies could be tuned down, at least for offline hardcore mode.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 10-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
MVP

Cletus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
What is your pass assist slider set at? With this slider set at 4 by default online, I have no problem scoring one timers, but I don't find it realistic at all, it's tape to tape passes all the way. However, with this slider set at 0 or 1 offline to get a realistic and true feeling to the game, passes are really though and simply getting a one timer on net is hard, so I find that goalies are just too quick in their lateral movements for these kind of settings. Goalies could be tuned down, at least for offline hardcore mode.
I don't have a problem with the passing, and usually i have pass assist set rather high because of how the game works and the cpu passing. I just don't like how the goalies are in position in 13 when they shouldn't be. They miss the puck on screened chances, but they're still in position. The goalies are a little too quick, I agree, but I don't think there's much they can do considering the animations and graphics engine they use. If the goalies slide too slow, then there are too many goals.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I don't have a problem with the passing, and usually i have pass assist set rather high because of how the game works and the cpu passing. I just don't like how the goalies are in position in 13 when they shouldn't be. They miss the puck on screened chances, but they're still in position. The goalies are a little too quick, I agree, but I don't think there's much they can do considering the animations and graphics engine they use. If the goalies slide too slow, then there are too many goals.
Even with screening set to the maximum, goalies just see way too much through traffic. Goalies never lose the the puck like they can in real life. It would be nice if goalies had actual vision. Like they had to move their heads to track the puck, and they would have a field of vision, and the higher their awareness or vision ratings, the faster they could move the field of vision. I guess it would be kind of like that QB passing thing from Madden a while back, only...it wouldn't suck.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
MVP

Cletus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Even with screening set to the maximum, goalies just see way too much through traffic. Goalies never lose the the puck like they can in real life. It would be nice if goalies had actual vision. Like they had to move their heads to track the puck, and they would have a field of vision, and the higher their awareness or vision ratings, the faster they could move the field of vision. I guess it would be kind of like that QB passing thing from Madden a while back, only...it wouldn't suck.
If I am remembering right, there was one year where goalies actually got screened. It might have been 10. You could reverse the puck and have a wide open net. It would be nice for Redshirt to comment and tell us if it's actually possible with this engine. I'm not sure if AI of any kind has actually evolved to the point of having "vision" rather than a programmed set of instincts, if that makes sense. There's even a vision rating, but no one is sure how it affects the goalie. I played some goalie in NHL 12 and I know with vision it made your guy freeze if he didn't see the play, but this year, they are in position and just miss the puck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »