Home

advice needed

This is a discussion on advice needed within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
advice needed

i am new to hockey. so far i like nhl 13. i think that my defense is ok. i am allowing less than 2 goals per game. my offense is just terrible. i feel like i am decent at creating shooting chances. i usually do a good job of getting close to the net. my shooting sucks. i have tried shooting low and high. i have tried slapshots, wrist shots, etc. nothing works. it feels like i am at the mercy of the cpu. i would like some advice on how to improve my game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Rookie

SWEAT DOGG's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: advice needed

Just move the puck around as it opens up space for the shots, try to cross crease if you can for one timers, also on this game the 5th hole is always open when the goaltender is stretching across the goal to save, so try that
If that faisl looks on youtube for help as they will explain it much better in visual form.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Rookie

thank you for the advice. i will work on moving the puck around. its a great game. i have a lot of fun playing it despite my weak offense. i have read that it is better to crash the net because of screens and deflections. is this true?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranjetotalfootbal93
thank you for the advice. i will work on moving the puck around. its a great game. i have a lot of fun playing it despite my weak offense. i have read that it is better to crash the net because of screens and deflections. is this true?
Yes, just like in real life screens, deflections and rebounds are great ways to score.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laijka
Yes, just like in real life screens, deflections and rebounds are great ways to score.
yes i figured. i see a lot of that on tv. do you prefer to shoot high or low?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6

First off welcome too the EA'S NHL series.

Second get accustomed too playing the game on the most realistic level possible by using sliders for that purpose.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-sliders.html

^You can find the sliders in the settings menu of the game

After applying sliders play in "Play Now" with different NHL teams to understand the differences between good & bad teams and good & bad players. Even look at the roster of your favorite team you will be surprised at who can do what in the game.

Get into practice mode and understand how to properly cycle the puck.
-Overload
-Behind The Net
-Crash The Net

Are the the three cycle plays available for each line. Your forwards are apart of the cycle while your D man guard the blue line.

Don't just pass the puck around for the sake of passing do it within the cycle's design so your A.I. teammates don't get confused. When in doubt go behind the net with the puck to reset the zone or pass to the D man.

Once you get the offensive zone down I find applying the same logic to defense fairly easy. On Defense just identify the cycle their using and just defend accordingly. D man by each side of the net and forwards up on the slot facing the D man. Because the sliders your using mimic real life only check to separate the player from the puck AS A LAST RESORT most of the time a well timed poke check or stick lift is more effective.

Also remember that players skate a different speeds so positioning is everything. Get accustomed to locking down a space on the ice more than chasing a guy down. If you are using a fast guy position him well and you will get the puck more often than not and if you have to chase him down well your guy is fast so there is no problem however with a slower player this will not occur easily.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
First off welcome too the EA'S NHL series.

Second get accustomed too playing the game on the most realistic level possible by using sliders for that purpose.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-sliders.html

^You can find the sliders in the settings menu of the game

After applying sliders play in "Play Now" with different NHL teams to understand the differences between good & bad teams and good & bad players. Even look at the roster of your favorite team you will be surprised at who can do what in the game.

Get into practice mode and understand how to properly cycle the puck.
-Overload
-Behind The Net
-Crash The Net

Are the the three cycle plays available for each line. Your forwards are apart of the cycle while your D man guard the blue line.

Don't just pass the puck around for the sake of passing do it within the cycle's design so your A.I. teammates don't get confused. When in doubt go behind the net with the puck to reset the zone or pass to the D man.

Once you get the offensive zone down I find applying the same logic to defense fairly easy. On Defense just identify the cycle their using and just defend accordingly. D man by each side of the net and forwards up on the slot facing the D man. Because the sliders your using mimic real life only check to separate the player from the puck AS A LAST RESORT most of the time a well timed poke check or stick lift is more effective.

Also remember that players skate a different speeds so positioning is everything. Get accustomed to locking down a space on the ice more than chasing a guy down. If you are using a fast guy position him well and you will get the puck more often than not and if you have to chase him down well your guy is fast so there is no problem however with a slower player this will not occur easily.
I played a game today I won 3-0. I felt like my defense was better because I kept guys in specific lanes. I think one of the problems I was having before on defense was that I was controlling my forwards and bringing them deep into the defensive zone. I left them alone and controlled my centre. The slot was covered for most of the game. On offense I tried going one way and shooting in the opposite direction. This led to one goal from the high slot. My other goal was from the left side. I think I shot for the near post. I think that is called a short side goal? The other goal was an own goal.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranjetotalfootbal93
I played a game today I won 3-0. I felt like my defense was better because I kept guys in specific lanes. I think one of the problems I was having before on defense was that I was controlling my forwards and bringing them deep into the defensive zone. I left them alone and controlled my centre. The slot was covered for most of the game. On offense I tried going one way and shooting in the opposite direction. This led to one goal from the high slot. My other goal was from the left side. I think I shot for the near post. I think that is called a short side goal? The other goal was an own goal.
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Just keep practicing and you'll see massive improvements in no time. You'll score a lot of goals from the slot with your forwards when you can get them wide open. Be careful when you pass from defender to defender. Thats the easiest way to give up a odd man rush the other way. When playing defense just make sure you don't chase the puck all around the zone.You want to protect the slot without screening your own goalie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »