Home

NHL 16 Revamped - Goalies - Community Input

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Revamped - Goalies - Community Input within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
NHL 16 Revamped - Goalies - Community Input

Here are my ratings for the goalies for the NHL 16 Revamped Rosters (if edit player is back in). Goalies are a tough bunch, they are so inconsistent. I'd appreciate everyone's input so we can make the majority of people satisfied with the rosters.

For the Revamped goalies, I go by this scale:
89+ = superstars
85-88 = great goalies
80-84 = undisputed starters
76-79 = goalies who battle for starting job
72-75 = great backups
69-71 = good backups
67-68 = average backups
64-66 = bad backups

1. Carey Price - 95
2. Henrik Lundqvist - 95
3. Pekka Rinne - 92
4. Tuukka Rask - 91
5. Semyon Varlamov - 89
6. Jonathan Quick - 89
7. Sergei Bobrovsky - 88
8. Braden Holtby - 87
9. Corey Crawford - 86
10. Cory Schneider - 86
11. MA Fleury - 85
12. Devan Dubnyk - 84
13. Steve Mason - 84
14. Roberto Luongo - 83
15. Ben Bishop - 83
16. Antti Niemi - 83
17. Craig Anderson - 82
18. Ondrej Pavelec - 82
19. Jonas Hiller - 81
20. Andrew Hammond - 80
21. Jaroslav Halak - 80
22. Brian Elliott - 80
23. Eddie Lack - 79
24. Frederik Andersen - 79
25. Ryan Miller - 79
26. Jonathan Bernier - 78
27. Cam Ward - 78
28. Jimmy Howard - 77
29. Petr Mrazek - 77
30. Kari Lehtonen - 76
31. Mike Smith - 76
32. Cam Talbot - 75
33. Jake Allen - 75
34. Michal Neuvirth - 74
35. Karri Ramo - 74
36. Michael Hutchinson - 73
37. Curtis McElhinney - 73
38. James Reimer - 72
39. Darcy Kuemper - 72
40. Jhonas Enroth - 71
41. Anton Khudobin - 70
42. Ray Emery - 69
43. Ben Scrivens - 68

Last edited by Simple Mathematics; 05-17-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 16 Revamped - Goalies - Community Input

Just while it's in my head, list forthcoming.

1. Kari Lehtonen (34-17-10)
Lehtonen you bring down, I think because his team underwhelmed and because his SV% and GAA were far from stellar. I counter that with the fact that the Stars were a terrible team overall. Lehtonen allowed the 2nd fewest goals in the league despite playing the 6th most games. He also, in the Curtis Joseph mold, played better when necessary: Dallas won 61% of games where they were outshot.
Conclusion: I'd move him up to 80 or 81—not spectacular, but I think that category fits him better.

2. Semyon Varlamov (28-20-8)
Did not have a great year. Wasn't tenth in the league in anything and the Avalanche allowed the fifth-fewest shots per game. While he upped his shutout numbers he regressed in basically every other category. 13-14 was great, but 14-15 was emphatically not. He didn't stand on his head when he had to, with the Avalanche being the opposite of the Stars' win percentages when outshooting and being outshot.
Conclusion: 84 overall, based on 13-14 and the expectation that he can rebound.

Am I the only guy who doesn't really like Varlamov? I don't think he's close to the top 5.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 05-15-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Here's my input on goalies...

1. Price - 93
2. Lundqvist - 92
3. Rask - 91
4. Quick - 90
5. Rinne - 89
6. Varlamov - 88
7. Bishop - 87
8. Bobrovsky - 87
9. Fleury - 86
10. Crawford - 86
11. Holtby - 85
12. Schneider - 85
13. Luongo - 85
14. Halak - 84
15. Dubnyk - 84
16. Lehtonen - 84
17. Mason - 83
18. Niemi - 83
19. Andersen - 83
20. Miller - 83
21. Hiller - 82
22. Pavelec - 82
23. Bernier - 82
24. Anderson - 82
25. Hammond - 81

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 06-24-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
MVP

Guys this is great stuff, keep these responses coming!

Adam Jones - both conclusions are very nice. I will adjust accordingly.

Al Tito - great list man. The only thing I would point out is the revamped rosters are going to need a little more separation than the goalies you have in your list. The rankings are very useful however and I will adjust accordingly.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Al Tito - great list man. The only thing I would point out is the revamped rosters are going to need a little more separation than the goalies you have in your list. The rankings are very useful however and I will adjust accordingly.
Yeah, I agree with you regarding separation for the revamped roster, mostly for the bottom part of my list. There's not a bad separation at all in my list between #1 and #10 (93 to 86), but there should probably be a better separation for #11 to #25 (right now only 85 to 81).

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 06-24-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Just while it's in my head, list forthcoming.

2. Semyon Varlamov (28-20-8)
Did not have a great year. Wasn't tenth in the league in anything and the Avalanche allowed the fifth-fewest shots per game. While he upped his shutout numbers he regressed in basically every other category. 13-14 was great, but 14-15 was emphatically not. He didn't stand on his head when he had to, with the Avalanche being the opposite of the Stars' win percentages when outshooting and being outshot.
Conclusion: 84 overall, based on 13-14 and the expectation that he can rebound.

Am I the only guy who doesn't really like Varlamov? I don't think he's close to the top 5.
I actually disagree with you and reason number one is you read those stats backwards. Colorado gives up the 5th most shots in the league at 33.2. It's pretty hard to be top 10 in stat categories when you get that workload, and are also hurt while in the process. Regardless of that Varlamov stands on his head. Colorado gives up prime scoring chances like candy. This amount of shots isn't coming from the outside. They're back door plays, odd man rushes, and point blank shots from the slot. The Avs team D is quite poor. Do you watch many Avs games by chance? If not you really should because I think you are judging him very wrong. Of course this is all opinion so you are free to think what you will. However, the guy stands on his head for them. His movement from side to side is ridiculously good, as is his puck tracking ability on point blank shots. To me he's definitely top 5 and it's because of what he does with the workload he gets. Without him, the Avs are probably drafting anywhere from 4-7.

Also if you'd like to go one step further, the Avs gave up the 6th most shots last year in which they went to the playoffs. Ask anyone and they will tell you Varlamov is the reason for that. Sure Mckinnon was fantastic, but Varlamov was the MVP of that team. He was 1st in wins, 2nd in SV%, and really you can continue going on. Call me biased but to me Varlamov was also the primary reason the Wild didn't win that series before game 7 last year.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 05-15-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I actually disagree with you and reason number one is you read those stats backwards. Colorado gives up the 5th most shots in the league at 33.2. It's pretty hard to be top 10 in stat categories when you get that workload, and are also hurt while in the process. Regardless of that Varlamov stands on his head. Colorado gives up prime scoring chances like candy. This amount of shots isn't coming from the outside. They're back door plays, odd man rushes, and point blank shots from the slot. The Avs team D is quite poor. Do you watch many Avs games by chance? If not you really should because I think you are judging him very wrong. Of course this is all opinion so you are free to think what you will. However, the guy stands on his head for them. His movement from side to side is ridiculously good, as is his puck tracking ability on point blank shots. To me he's definitely top 5 and it's because of what he does with the workload he gets. Without him, the Avs are probably drafting anywhere from 4-7.

Also if you'd like to go one step further, the Avs gave up the 6th most shots last year in which they went to the playoffs. Ask anyone and they will tell you Varlamov is the reason for that. Sure Mckinnon was fantastic, but Varlamov was the MVP of that team. He was 1st in wins, 2nd in SV%, and really you can continue going on. Call me biased but to me Varlamov was also the primary reason the Wild didn't win that series before game 7 last year.
Good points. The Av's defense is horrendous. That's kinda why I gave him a boost to where he is on my list. While he had a bad year stats-wise, he had done much better in prior years. I understand both points both of you guys made.

This is why goalies are the hardest position to rate. Inconsistency!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Good points. The Av's defense is horrendous. That's kinda why I gave him a boost to where he is on my list. While he had a bad year stats-wise, he had done much better in prior years. I understand both points both of you guys made.

This is why goalies are the hardest position to rate. Inconsistency!
Also when grading the Bruins goalies they are pretty good because of the system that Julien likes to play. Turning every guy into a two-way player. And he needs to get back on d, no matter how good you are offensively.

Just food for thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »