Home

NHL 16 Alternate Goalie Controls!

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Alternate Goalie Controls! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
NHL 16 Alternate Goalie Controls!

If you don't want to watch:

I think this is a great move by EA. Just having the option to choose our control scheme has 3 major advantages for us. First of all, it:

Lessens the Learning Curve- If you have played goalie in previous games, then you will already know most of the controls for NHL 16 using the alternate system. The only adjustment goalies will have to make is with the right stick and the desperation saves. Besides that all other controls are the same.

(More Player Control)
Personal Preference -
Based on comfort. Some people like the old controls so they will use the alternate/hybrid version because it is familiar. Others had trouble with the old controls based on the way they would hold the controller and the new layout fixes that problem.

(Competitive Aspect) Different but Equal- They are different layouts but one is not easier than the other. All the controls are still there and they need to be pressed. One has not been made dumbed down to give an advantage over the other.

One last thing, if you look at the setting just underneath goalie controls, we now have the option to turn on precision movement as the default movement. If you turn this on it would flip the script, as precision would be your normal movement and you would have to press LB/L1 if you wanted to move quickly across the crease. I haven't experimented with this that much so I'm going to give my advice on this just yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 16 Alternate Goalie Controls!

Smart move by EA here. Good for goalies that haven't adjusted/don't want to, while (as you say) not making either the preferable option—leaves everything to the user, as it should be.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Pro

stevostl's Arena

Icon14 Re: NHL 16 Alternate Goalie Controls!

that's pretty cool of EA to do that..

they really are listening to feedback it seems

I'm shocked they added not only similar controls to old familiar layout but that they also added an option to turn on precision control as your default speed in the crease. A lot of people were asking for this during the beta it seemed...

I'm not sure I will play that way as I got use to playing without it but I'm glad they are giving us options that allow everyone to enjoy the controls

Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

I'm surprised they did this as well. I remember listening to a podcast from other developers a long time ago (NOT NHL) and they said button layouts aren't that difficult to change compared to other aspects of the game.

This is an option that I'm sure many of use appreciate, even if we don't use it. The choice itself helps many goalies.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Pro

stevostl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
I'm surprised they did this as well. I remember listening to a podcast from other developers a long time ago (NOT NHL) and they said button layouts aren't that difficult to change compared to other aspects of the game.

This is an option that I'm sure many of use appreciate, even if we don't use it. The choice itself helps many goalies.
btw... can't wait to see your new goalie tips and tutorials with the final game as I plan on being a goalie for club in the EASHL on ps4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
btw... can't wait to see your new goalie tips and tutorials with the final game as I plan on being a goalie for club in the EASHL on ps4
I would love to have videos of tips and tricks for playing Goalie....never have been able to get the hang of it.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

thanks guys. I can't wait to make them as well. The hard time will be having time for it but I'll find a way.

I'm actually running a giveaway right now on my channel. My XB1 purchase came with Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and since I'm not going to play it, I figured somebody out there would appreciate it better.

Here's the vid for how to enter. The video also features a HUT game with a goalie mode challenge thrown into the mix.

http://youtu.be/8MXF1adj_bk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »