Home

NHL 18 Beta Impressions: Threes, Incremental Gameplay Changes

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Beta Impressions: Threes, Incremental Gameplay Changes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 18 Beta Impressions: Threes, Incremental Gameplay Changes

Hard to judge the improvements because I am an offline player and can only play full game online. That said, I feel like the game plays so much better than last year. I have been a very long time critic of this game so I think that is saying alot. I understand the criticisms from others, and some are valid...like the lack of new presentation and AI still not where it needs to be. But the gameplay has definitely improved. Game still needs some tweaks but hopefully nothing that takes away from the base AI this year.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Rookie

Gotmilkman24's Arena

OVR: 0

I must say, after playing a game as goalie with the settings turned all the way up. I'm very impressed with the 3v3 AI. I would assume 6v6/5v5 would be the same. If I wasn't so into PC gaming right now i would be all over NHL18 beta right now. I do find the people who hate the AI are the ones who are out of position and tappers. This looks like it will finally be a good game this year. ONLINE and offline.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #11
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Its NHL 15 v4. Very little has changed. The core of the game hasnt changed at all. Game still rewards selfish play over actual hockey. Game still has a massive problem with consistency. 3v3 EASHL is ok when you dont have a full team, except for when you play vs kids who just rag the puck for 10 minutes at a time like that takes some sort of skill. Id almost suggest some kind of shot clock for 3v3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4

I have to say that I am not the least bit disappointed in this game. It is exactly what I expected and that is precisely why I will not buy it.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Hard to judge the improvements because I am an offline player and can only play full game online. That said, I feel like the game plays so much better than last year. I have been a very long time critic of this game so I think that is saying alot. I understand the criticisms from others, and some are valid...like the lack of new presentation and AI still not where it needs to be. But the gameplay has definitely improved. Game still needs some tweaks but hopefully nothing that takes away from the base AI this year.
That's encouraging to hear. Since it's the only hockey game, I can bite my tongue and deal with the lack of anything new with presentation... as long as the AI has been improved and player separation is noticeable, I might be on board.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
graphic artist

C.J.S.'s Arena

OVR: 2

i never played this NHL game before and i must say, it's very good. IMO best EA sports game.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's encouraging to hear. Since it's the only hockey game, I can bite my tongue and deal with the lack of anything new with presentation... as long as the AI has been improved and player separation is noticeable, I might be on board.
I can say player separation is as apparent as it has ever been in the series, and the AI is improved. This is not to say the AI is genius, or where we'd want it to be, but it's not as generic and its decision is slightly more dynamic. In terms of user team AI they are much better at staying out of the way and try to generally set up in triangles and situate themselves in a decent posture to keep the puck moving to the next man or taking a shot rather than immediately isolating the puck to the boards when it's not necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #16
Rookie

Have they put manual switching in the game yet?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »