Home

Thoughts on 18 better then years prior?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on 18 better then years prior? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

So I have been a long time player of the NHL series. However I have not bought the game in some years now. Last time I played was 15 I think. So I picked up NHL 18 for like 20 bucks . First impressions is still the same game. They really need to overhaul the game.

Why can't EA get rid of the stupid AI comeback its so ridiculous. I was up by 3 goals I play good defense and I don't attack the puck so the time when I am on defense i hold my position. So the AI tends to be super human in the 3rd period and they shoot the puck like crazy. And my goalie let's in crap goals. It's so ridiculous.

I play as the flyers why are my players so slow . The AI can turn on a dime but I can't. No matter what my sliders are set to. I mean the games not bad but they need an overhaul on everything and also the stupid poke check that's broken needs to be fixed. BTW. I am using a great set of sliders. I forget the guys name in the sliders section but it plays a whole lot better. I wish NHL can play right out of the box but unfortunately it will never be that .

What are your guys thoughts on NHL18. Is it the same is 16 and 17?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Thoughts on 18 better then years prior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisP41174
Why can't EA get rid of the stupid AI comeback its so ridiculous. I was up by 3 goals I play good defense and I don't attack the puck so the time when I am on defense i hold my position. So the AI tends to be super human in the 3rd period and they shoot the puck like crazy. And my goalie let's in crap goals. It's so ridiculous.
'18 is WAY better than 16 or 17. and this quote is almost just like how it is in Real Life, the AI can change their strategy to start shooting more often and from your point of view it may look like there is a Comeback code but when in reality the AI just changed their strat to play more aggressive and to shoot more often.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Way better than the prior two years.

The agility thing and turning on a dime stands out to me from your post. Same thing drives me nuts at times but I just deal with it. But go to the sliders and adjust it. Lower the CPU’s and up yours.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

There's more going on than just strategy adjustments and it's far from a seamless tactic. They've done a terrible job in disguising the parameters they can skew. That's the real problem.

The resources haven't been put towards developing proper gameplay. It seems it's all about being able to create hype each cycle and of course finding ways to manipulate players to buy HUT packs.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

As far as game depth goes I think this is the best one yet. Yes there is plenty (& some) they can still do, but I love playing this game.

I find the game has those traits that the OP mentioned in All-Star and above. It's generally why I play pro and beef up the challenge with AI difficulty (which can also bring on those traits if set too high) plus other sliders.

I don't know if it's just me but since the last update, the AI seems to do slightly less crazy stuff and actually feels a little better to play even?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Some small parts of AI are better in 18 like bank passing and odd man rush ai....but nhl 18 has a fatal flaw for me, the cpu dmen ai do not shoot enough and overcycles and overpasses. It kills the offline experience for me. It was perfect in nhl 17.

Ive edited the dmen shoot/cycle line strategy setting, but it hasnt helped one bit. Formthis reason, the cpu ai while in the offensive zone does not look like a real life nhl attack. Nhl 17 was much better innthis regard imo...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by phillyfan23; 03-15-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Rookie

Daisuk's Arena

I guess you could say I play NHL games in periods, I'm not a die hard fan, so I've never been exceptionally good at the game, but I've always played at the difficulty one step above "Pro" (so All-Star this year and in the previous two) - and I've found that to be a great challenge when playing against the CPU, with only some minor slider tweaks necessary.

This year, I can't find a difference between All-Star and Superstar, in fact, I'd say the difference between the two are that the goalies are ****tier on All Star, so you get higher scoring matches, but the CPU are just as hard to play against. And they're just ... not very realistic, lazer fast into every tackle, they can read your mind, it seems, and they'll dispossess you time and again how easily they'd like.

So from the "occasional player"'s point of view - my gripe this year is with the difficulty. Pro is way too easy, and All Star is simply too annoyingly cheating/unrealistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »