Home

Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 22
Putting

I was thinking about buying Tiger Woods for the 1st time since 2004. So I played the demo the other day, and can't figure out how to putt. I know the controls obviously, just that I suck at it. So what's the trick? I was use to getting caddie tips in 04, where the caddie tells you how to aim your putt. However, that feature seems to be lacking in TG 11. So my question is, how do you putt effectively in Tiger Woods 11? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Putting

I find the putting is touchy in Tiger Woods 11 compared to TW 10, at least based on the demo. I like the precision putting interface, and I go even further to add to the challenge by turning the putting meter off.

Are you using the Classic putting meter in the demo? It sounds like you would be more familiar with that, as it's more like what you were used to from TW 04. I know it's an option, but I haven't tried it in the demo. You're still not going to get the coordinate information with Classic putting that 04 had, but you do get putt previews in Amateur, which probably give the putt away more than the coordinate system in 04, IMO.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

Using a laser mouse with TW 08 PC game is super sensitive and I thought it was next to impossible to putt but once you put a good few hours into it then you get used to it. I found that a lot touchier than the TW 11 demo so I think it just takes getting used to.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Putting got a lot harder starting last year (IIRC or was it 09?) Anyway, it is much, much more realistic. In older TW games, as long as you had the line, you could blast it into the back of the cup. Now, you have to factor in speed as well. The greens in the demo are slow which is tough if you are not used to them. In TW10 live tourneys, every single green was fast or lightning fast. I learned very quickly to lag putt.

In older games, anything within 20 feet or more was something you could easily take a run at. Now, depending on the line you sometimes have to lag putt within that range. If you have an uphill putt without much break, you can certainly take a good run at it, but if you have a downhill putt with a severe break, you should be lag putting or you risk blasting it way past the hole.

Other than that, practice practice practice Get a feel for where the ball is going to go based on the slope of the greens.

In TW10 a lot of us had to go through a big learning curve. Many of us were 3 putting (or worse) some of the tricky greens.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Rookie

csfan20's Arena

OVR: 3

it depends wat green speed u are playing on
Distance Control
Soft Greens- 1:1.0 ratio - 10 ft putt will go 10 feet, 13 ft putt will go 13 ft
Average Greens - 1:1.1 ratio - 10 ft putt will go 11 feet, 13 ft putt will go 14.3 feet
Fast greens - 1:1.2 ratio - 10 ft putt will go 12 feet, 13 ft putt will go 15.6 ft
very fast greens - 1:1.3 ratio - 10 ft putt will go 13 feet, 13 ft putt will go 16.9 feet
once you have figured that out you need to check elevation
for every inch uphill or downhill it is you aim a foot longer or shorter
for example on soft greens say u have a 10 ft putt and it's 2 inches uphill u need to aim 12 feet
now if say ur playing very fast greens and u have a 10 ft putt that is 4 inches downhill you compensate 4 the elevation so u subtract 4 feet then since ur on v fast greens u know a 10 ft putt will go 13 feet so u subtract 3 feet b/c if u hit it 10 feet it will go 13 feet Then since u subtracted 4 feet 4 elevation and 3 ft 4 green speed you subtract 7 ft so ur aiming 3 ft
let me know if I'm confusing u

now for break all I can say is read the break it Just takes practice

Last edited by csfan20; 06-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Putting-5tips for you!

1.THE MECHANICAL PUTTER
HOW TO PRACTICE IT
Because the mechanical putter is “stroke-focused,” he likes to use either a training aid to help him groove an arcing, on-plane stroke, or a flag stick (shown here) to ensure his stroke stays straight. I don’t recommend you practice like this or become a mechanical putter, because it makes you ignore your putt’s distance, speed and direction. (Speed is the most important part of putting.) If you’re a mechanical putter, I suggest you stop putting this way and read on! There’s a lot to learn from the other four types of putters.

WHAT HE SEES
2.THE SPOT PUTTER
When the “spot putter” reads his putt, he identifies a spot (a spike mark, discoloration of the green or old ball mark) and hits his ball toward it. Spot putters tend to be nonvisual in nature and use the spot to determine how far and in what direction they should putt the ball.

HOW TO PRACTICE IT (Note here that I’m aiming at a spot just beyond the hole. That not only gives me an aiming point, but, because it’s beyond the hole, also gives me pretty decent speed. After all, I don’t want to leave any putt short.) The better my visual image of the spot as I stroke the putt, the better my speed will be.

Place three tees at three different distances from you. (It may be hard to see in the picture at right, but I’ve placed them 10, 20 and 30 feet away.) Aim each putt toward a tee. Then, as you make your stroke, picture the corresponding tee in your mind’s eye.

With enough practice, you should “see” the tee (and, hence, remember where and how far away it is) when you look at the ball. This will help you retain your target, and gauge the correct distance, too.
3.THE LINE-TO-SPOT PUTTER
When the “line-to-spot putter” reads his putt from behind the hole, he sees a line going from the ball to the hole. When he stands over the ball, he sees a straight line extending down his target line that ends at a spot where he wants his ball to finish. He holds a picture of the spot as he strokes his putt.

When you read your putt from behind the ball, visually track the line from your ball toward the hole. Then choose an intermediate target on your line four to five inches in front of your ball. Aim the brand’s logo or a line on your ball at that intermediate target.

When you stand over the ball, adjust your setup until it visually appears that the line drawn on your ball goes right through your intermediate target. Visually continue to extend that line to a spot that’s the same distance you want your ball to roll. Adjust the spot accordingly to control your speed for uphill and downhill putts.
4. THE LINE PUTTER
The “line putter” sees the curved line along which his ball will roll from address until it falls in the hole. On a flat putt and during his putting stroke, he has an image—in his mind’s eye—of the ball entering the cup; on a downhill putt, the line ends short of the hole; and on an uphill putt, the line goes through the hole.

Aim your ball’s logo (or the line you’ve drawn on it) at a spot four or five inches in front of your ball that’s on your intended target line. Once you’re satisfied that it’s appropriately lined up, trace a line from your ball through the spot and onward toward the hole.

When you putt, the ball should roll over the spot and follow the imaginary line you’ve created toward the hole. A strong visual image will help control your ball’s speed. Remember, the clearer the picture in your mind’s eye, the better your speed control. Also it’s important to know that your putt will travel the same distance as your last visual focus. Adjust your line for uphill and downhill putts to accommodate your desired speed.
5. THE LINE/SPEED PUTTER
The “line/speed putter” sees the ball travel on a line toward the hole and fall into it at his desired speed. Because of his acute vision and attention to detail, the line/speed putter is the most successful of the five.

1. Place 8-10 balls in a circle about three feet from the hole. 2. Close your right eye to eliminate unnecessary right-side peripheral vision. (Lefties, do the opposite.) 3. Stroke each ball with a different speed. Some should go in firm, some should just fall over the front edge, while others should be about medium speed.

Note: For putters 2 through 5, your visual focus over the ball should be an image so clear in your mind’s eye,that the ball is a blur. Hold that image as long as you can after the ball leaves the putter face. This will take practice. Also, you’ll have your best success if you start your stroke as soon as your eyes return to the ball. The longer you stand over the ball, the more your image will fade. Your speed control will be off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »