Home

Fun Idea: College Golf 2K

This is a discussion on Fun Idea: College Golf 2K within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Out of the top 10 golf schools, which one would be your go to squad in NCAA Golf 2K?
Alabama 0 0%
Georgia Tech 1 14.29%
Oklahoma State 2 28.57%
California 0 0%
Texas A&M 0 0%
Illinois 0 0%
Georgia 1 14.29%
UCF 0 0%
Stanford 1 14.29%
UAB 0 0%
Other 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

OVR: 0
Lightbulb Fun Idea: College Golf 2K

Note: Sorry for the lame cover. Not that great at Photoshop lol

I know this will never happen especially with the NCAA license issues but it's just a fun thought.

I think it would be really cool to see a company like 2K Sports make an NCAA golf game especially since college golf is on the rise.

What really is going to boost the popularity of college links is the fact that Golf Channel has rights to the NCAA Men's Golf Championship which airs on a national TV network in NBC.

I think it would add tons of vibe, color and spirit to the golf video game world and would be great not only for college golf fans but college and golf fans in general.

Obviously it would at least be a 2 year project because you would have to create courses and create all of the division I schools but it would be cool as it would be in a team format like Tiger Woods PGA Tour did with the Ryder Cup in 2010-11.

One small thing I would implement into the game would be the ability to switch off with another golfer on your squad in the middle of the round like how they did with Grand Theft Auto 5's SWITCH system. This would add a bit of drama as you immediately are out into the other golfer's shoes who might be in the middle of trying to sink a long putt to win the round for your school putting pressure on you right in the moment.

EA's MVP NCAA Baseball was in my opinion very fun and college baseball wasn't popular at the time as it is now and even now it's not super popular. I actually started paying more attention to college baseball after playing that game for its 2 years of existence (Maybe someday they can add it to the PlayStation Store as a PS2 classic, well deserved.).

So if a college baseball game could be fun and receive the solid scores that it did then I think a college golf game could too but you have to make it fun to the point where so many people won't think golf is boring. Can't be the same old golf game . Has to be EPIC. Feel the TRUE LIFE pressure of leading your team by example out in a college atmosphere where your mind is young so the pressure is higher than most. Have almost like a cinema dramatic feel after each swing as if it's the last of your college career as you try to impress PGA Tour scouts.

You want that feeling of being a low ranked school upsetting the no.1 school in the country after you nailed an insane putt or hit an unlikely hole out.

As for courses, you probably have to do how NCAA Baseball 06 did where the only licensed ballpark they had was Rosenblatt and no official school ballparks (In 07 they implemented a few school ballparks). Just have generic courses for the time being (This would help make the development easier).

Another thing that would be a must would obviously be a MyPlayer/MyCollegeCareer mode where you create a high school senior who's trying to impress college recruiters as you try to win a state championship for your high school.

Once you completed the tournament then you'll get a choice of 3 colleges to choose from (You can choose to transfer later on but you have to be approved by that other school that you're trying to attend) based off of your performance and you get to go through the process which is pretty much the prologue to your college golf journey.

After you go through the prologue and play your first tournament, you will be sent to your dorm. In your dorm, you can freely walk around your campus and choose to do certain things like attend classes which will help boost your "Focus" attribute rating while practicing on the driving range and putting green will help boost your putting and driving skill. In a game that was mentioned on this forum, "Winning Putt" for the PC has a feature kind of like this where you're in a location where you can freely walk around and talk to other players online and get ready for tournaments (From what I've seen).

Finally, the last thing I would add would be maybe a ticker courtesy of college golf website GolfStat where it shows real-time stats in the world of college golf.

So, what do you get in this package? Realism, drama, pure golf, college excitement, solid story, a sprinkle of college life off the course, something refreshing to play, and add a great broadcast presentation and then boom! Sports Game of the Year ;D

Favorite Teams

Golf - USA Ryder Cup Squad

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

College - Northwestern Wildcats, DePaul Blue Demons, UIC Flames, DuPage Chaparrals

Last edited by Golfsprince; 01-18-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Fun Idea: College Golf 2K

I think the following sports would merit a college game before golf.

Football (sigh)
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Lacrosse
Soccer
Women's Basketball

Quote:
One small thing I would implement into the game would be the ability to switch off with another golfer on your squad in the middle of the round like how they did with Grand Theft Auto 5's SWITCH system.
Amazing idea if one of those golfers was a young Trevor and he was carrying a machete in his golf bag and the other players were zombies.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseedeadpeople
I think the following sports would merit a college game before golf.

Football (sigh)
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Lacrosse
Soccer
Women's Basketball

Amazing idea if one of those golfers was a young Trevor and he was carrying a machete in his golf bag and the other players were zombies.
Man, I miss the college football and basketball games. I still play College Hoops 2K8 and still have a blast with it. However, naw, a college golf game would beat out all of those except for the obvious ones of football (sigh), basketball (Super sigh) and baseball. The reason why they would make a college golf game before the others you mentioned is because it's all about money and NBC has rights to college golf so the game company would be getting PLENTY of money from NBC so no, the others you mention wouldn't beat college golf because Cash Rules Everything Around Us (C.R.E.A.U.). Besides, NCAA baseball worked for a couple of years didn't it? Again though, a long as the corrupted NCAA is still around then we'll never see any college game again sadly unless it's a PC mod.

Also, I like GTA V and Trevor but I got to go with my boy Franklin and that badass special ability he has lol. But naw man the zombie thing is getting old now and boring as "hail" (hell) in my personal opinion. Plus, I'd want to slaughter zombies with my own created characters not a pre made dude like Trevor. Stay in GTA V Trev! Please though, stick with your idea bro because I don't want to sound like a jerk towards your idea. Hope I didn't offend you buddy.

Also, If I was a developer (Which I'm not and I never want to be as I am happy with my gig), I would guarantee you that I would try my best to make an epic sports game with college golf especially since nobody thinks it would have a chance and of course that's what they think. It's college golf for God's sake but that doesn't mean you can't turn it into something amazing (Without zombies ).

Favorite Teams

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

College - Northwestern Wildcats, DePaul Blue Demons, UIC Flames, DuPage Chaparrals
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

As a former college team golfer myself (Winthrop University), I should be wired for something like this, but honestly, it's never dawned on me that NCAA golf would be popular in a video game. I personally don't see a lot of interest in NCAA golf, but maybe I'm not paying attention. OTOH, if it was well implemented, it could very well build its own fanbase. I just think we need to put the horse before the cart at this point and have a golf game that makes enough people want to play console golf again.

I've got to tip my cap to you though... you've thought this out very well. I think you have a marketable core design there. Now you've got to find a publisher/developer who's willing to wrestle with NCAA licensing again
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
As a former college team golfer myself (Winthrop University), I should be wired for something like this, but honestly, it's never dawned on me that NCAA golf would be popular in a video game. I personally don't see a lot of interest in NCAA golf, but maybe I'm not paying attention. OTOH, if it was well implemented, it could very well build its own fanbase. I just think we need to put the horse before the cart at this point and have a golf game that makes enough people want to play console golf again.

I've got to tip my cap to you though... you've thought this out very well. I think you have a marketable core design there. Now you've got to find a publisher/developer who's willing to wrestle with NCAA licensing again
Yeah that's the thing, you want to make it an epic golf game that can real new people to the sport even if it is a golf game. Of course people are going to be like "What the heck? College golf?" but I thought the same thing when MVP NCAA Baseball released but it ended up being an enjoyable and refreshing baseball experience and reeled me into something new.But you never know, people may play a college golf game and might enjoy it. Just can't make it a lame boring golf game is all lol.

Thank you man I really appreciate that, I like sharing ideas with other like minded golf fans! And boy, wouldn't that be nice if we saw the NCAA license again? We could bring back hoops, football and baseball and add sports like golf and hockey (Although I'm only a casual hockey fan)

Favorite Teams

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm a huge Oklahoma State fan, and I definitely follow college golf. As others have stated, it's just not popular right now. With the NCAA Championship finally being televised again this year, maybe it will become more popular in the future. If anything, it would be kinda cool if EA Sports included a little piece of college golf in their next golf game. I'd be all for any college golf involvement, but it's all unlikely because of the NCAA Football fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »