Home

TGC and Ball Physics

This is a discussion on TGC and Ball Physics within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18
TGC and Ball Physics

The more I play this game, the more and more noticeable the terrible ball physics become, especially on the greens. There is absolutely no way a ball should just stop when in a red colored grid. What's the use of trying to play the contour of the green if the ball doesn't behave like it should 100% of the time, according to the slopes and undulations of the greens? Don't get me started on the wind physics and maxed firmness or what I call parking lot golf.

For all the good they have done with post launch updates and support, still some just absolute terrible coding, programming, or implementation of certain things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Banned

RefTix's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TGC and Ball Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak
The more I play this game, the more and more noticeable the terrible ball physics become, especially on the greens. There is absolutely no way a ball should just stop when in a red colored grid. What's the use of trying to play the contour of the green if the ball doesn't behave like it should 100% of the time, according to the slopes and undulations of the greens? Don't get me started on the wind physics and maxed firmness or what I call parking lot golf.

For all the good they have done with post launch updates and support, still some just absolute terrible coding, programming, or implementation of certain things.

Cool story bro.

But seriously, I think you are exaggerating or not being realistic yourself. If that is "terrible coding and programming", then create your own game.

Let us know when you release it so we can download it and then smash it.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:

Or the inverse of that -- the ball shouldn't roll off of every green onto the fringe or to the rough. I find that happens way too often.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Rookie

That being said -- I LOVE this game.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Banned

ROTTEN's Arena

Quote:

While I do agree about the parking lot, the bad programming comments are a little harsh mate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. We continue to improve on our physics but as RefTix points out I think you're over exaggerating a little.
RE the greens, I've never seen a ball stop on a red grid, this could happen if the contours of the green even out half way between the two points though. If you have any information or a video of it happening I'd be happy to take a look.

RE the wind, our wind physics are actually pretty accurate. We used a scientific paper written about golf balls and wind affect

RE Maxed firmness and Car parks, I don't understand the issue but these are things controlled by designers not us.

Our coding is of a pretty high standard so much so we're constantly trying to be poached by other companies. Of course there are things we'd like to improve on, but that's the same with any game, GTA to Rocket League.

Anthony
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTEN
While I do agree about the parking lot, the bad programming comments are a little harsh mate.
What do you mean by "parking lot?" Not sure I get the reference...
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyKyne
Thanks for the feedback. We continue to improve on our physics but as RefTix points out I think you're over exaggerating a little.
RE the greens, I've never seen a ball stop on a red grid, this could happen if the contours of the green even out half way between the two points though. If you have any information or a video of it happening I'd be happy to take a look.

RE the wind, our wind physics are actually pretty accurate. We used a scientific paper written about golf balls and wind affect

RE Maxed firmness and Car parks, I don't understand the issue but these are things controlled by designers not us.

Anthony

I understand your point that its possible if it flattens out but the specific one I had happen today rolled up from a green to yellow to red and instead of coming back down, it abruptly just stopped. It also happens more when the ball rolls straight vs and arcing roll. I'll try and find the course, was playing a tour with multiple courses, and play my ghost and capture it.

While some of the firmness is the designers, you guys really need to look into a way to add more variance into the firmness dial. Or perhaps you can clarify the dial in its current state. While I appreciate you guys adding in different firmness for fairways and greens, take it a step further and add an individual firmness setting for the rough as well.

As for the wind, I'd like to see who wrote this article and what evidence they provided, because certain things just don't make sense based upon what I've experienced in real life. The plains of west Texas and eastern New Mexico get pretty gusty without lots of trees, buildings, etc to block some of the wind and I never had to exaggerate as much left or right to compensate like in this game. My biggest area of concern is the straight cross winds. The diagonal and straight head winds and tail winds work pretty well for the most part.

Sorry if I came off as being extremely negative, it's that I want the best game possible, same as you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys have set the new standard for post launch support and should be commended and have done some great things. Not sure how much you have left to do with this version and I understand there are some things you are limited by/to at this point, just want to see some improvements in either the current game or a possible TGC2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »