Home

Throwing to RB/TE

This is a discussion on Throwing to RB/TE within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Rookie

jtshurtleff's Arena

OVR: 0
Throwing to RB/TE

I just finished my season with Atlanta and noticed something very alarming to my usual style of play. Harry Douglas had 7 TD, Julio 11 and Roddy White had 6. Nobody else caught one. No TE, HB, FB, nobody. I use a lot of 3WR sets so that is one reason but I found slip screens to be very ineffective and my TEs can't get open. Maybe they're just not good but I haven't played with anyone else. How are your backs and TE doing? What was or is your distribution. To contrast last year I was Buffalo and my TE had like 6-8 TD every year. Scott Chandler I believe? I also had Spiller and Fred Jackson get 3-5 each per year with my receivers getting the remaining 15-20 depending on the year. Btw I play 15 minute quarters and throw on average 37 times per game with completion percent around 65%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Throwing to RB/TE

I'm halfway through my first season in CFM as the Cowboys and I'm also playing with 15-minute quarters, accelerated clock to 14 seconds. Jason Witten is second on my team in receptions with 34 with two scores.

He's injured now, but in one game I was able to snag two reception TDs with DeMarco Murray, one on an angle route out of the backfield and another on a check down from about ten yards out. The backup Lance Dunbar has a receiving TD also, though I forget how and when he scored it.

I think this may be just how you are playing the game. If you're playing as Atlanta, it makes sense that most of your touchdowns are to Julio Jones and Roddy White, they are an excellent tandem.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-24-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Through five games in my CFM here on OS.

I was having a decent year with Flacco, but threw 5 picks in my last game
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture1.PNG (36.1 KB, 294 views)

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

In my CFM, Dennis Pitta have 9 TD and lead with receptions with 72 through 15 games. I also play with 15 minutes.

I throw alot to my TE, Owen Daniels scored 2 times and have 19 receptions. Steve Smith and Torrey Smith have 4/5 TD's each, and both with 900 yards.

Rice with only 250 yards, but 3 TD's.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Pro

I play a Spread Offense with a TE in the 4th WR spot. Lots of short passing (mesh, slants, quick outs). As for receptions my 3 WRs and my TE usually have a similar amount of catches. However, my outside WRs (WR1 & WR2) have far more yards (higher yards per catch) than the inside guys (slot WR and TE). As for the TDs to positions other than WR I can say that I use my TE a lot in the redzone, thus he usually has 5-10 TDs per season. My RBs are not heavily involved in the passing game, I mostly use them for runs up the middle to keep the defense honest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Rookie

13 games into my 2019 season and Dion Sims is my starting TE. He has 3 TD but averages at about 5 catches a game. I tend to go to him mostly as a checkdown option on Stick plays when the coverage is in man and he gets open quickly. The other most used TE set I use is the goalline PA Power O with the outside TE running the corner route and getting open on the touch pass.

I too find the screens are ineffective but that is mainly due to the fact that I have a power HB and not a speedy elusive type who would be better suited to those plays. The only time I ever really throw to my HB is when he runs the angle route and comes underneath the LB after the TE cleared them out.

I struggled so much with this passing game this year, but I'm starting to read the defenses much better now, especially before the snap and this means I can consistently hit my receivers. I still give up too many INTs but I'm working on that.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

Great that you mentioned this, because I just realized I only have 11 passing TDs in 7 games, but I think I've had the most ridiculous schedule in the NFL so far: in those 7 games, I've faced only 5 players rated under 80 in the secondary if you go as far down as the Nickel CB. It may also be because my rookie, 87 OVR FB, who has 5 TDs on 12 carries, gets the ball very often in the red zone. I have 18 offensive TDs and he has almost 1/3 of them.

Even then, 2 of my passing TDs are to Zac Stacy and 1 is to Jermaine Gresham. I try to isolate Stacy or any of my HBs vs a LB and once hit him for a 5 yard TD on an all-out blitz when I shifted him to the slot in a tight doubles formation. I do this a lot with DAT trying to find a 1-on-1 outside for a streak and with my rookie HB with 65 RTE/73 CTH on 3rd downs trying to hit a quick in or slant. I also run a modified Pats playbook since I retired my owner and created a new HC, so there's a Gun set where the HB can shift to the Flanker and a couple of Gun Empty Base sets to help their receiving numbers.

Because of the way I use my playbook and the defenses I've faced, I average basically 230 yards passing per game, but Kenny Britt--#1 on my depth chart--had 15 catches for 133 yards before breaking his collarbone in the 1st half of my last game. My rookie #2 has 45 catches for 632 and Tavon has 44 for 401. Even Gresham has 28 (Traded Cook after signing Gresham and finding good UDFAs). My HBs have combined for 26.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

I'm playing as the Cowboys, and Witten is my leading receiver each season (except one when he missed six games) in catches, yards and TDs, although Bryant is always very close in terms of catches and yards.

Most of that comes from play action, where the safety might bite but the corner sticks to the WR. Or little out routes, where the WR has cleared out the secondary by going deep, or is in a twins formation the other side of the field. That play is very effective within five yards of the goal line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »