Home

Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #97
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

When I say I want real penalties I don't mean I want an automatic 4-7 a game. I don't want random penalties just to keep stats right any more than I want Random incompletions. I want things to work lifelike. There are games were an NFL team has only 1 or 2 penalties in real life.

The reason for penalties in the first place is to allow skill to win over cheating. In real life I mean. When I play basketball we call our own fouls. Yes we call them. If a guy shoots a jump shot and the defender hits his arm it makes him miss the shot. It wasn't the shooters lack of skill or the defenders skill. It was a foul that did it. That's the point of penalties.

Right now the only two penalties I can think of that work that way in Madden is offsides and intentional grounding as a user. I've had guys hard count and draw me offsides. I've messed up and hit the throw away button in the pocket. I want all penalties to work like this.

Pass interference is already there it's just not called. I've had guys running for a completion and had the defender interfere with him and I miss the pass. It should be a flag.

The other key is the sliders. If someone wants more to be called they could. If none then fine.

Ultimately if penalties were done right, skill would be even more important than it is now.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #98
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
If we had a game that 100% reflected the real NFL, most people here would hate it. Where does the "replicate football" end? Do you want real life budget management for CFM mode as well, one where you need to be a CPA to balance? Do you want to have real contracts where you have to hire a lawyer just to understand some of the verbiage used?
That is a bit of a straw man, and you know it. A realistic simulation of a financial system in a football game would no more require a CPA or a law degree than a realistic simulation of a running game requires attendance at an NFL training camp.

Quote:
Should they add a Rex Ryan mode where your coach accidentally uses time outs at the wrong time? How about a Justin Blackmon mode where your star WR turns out to be a psychotic addict who can't stay out of trouble? This is all stuff that replicates the real NFL that everyone here says on a daily basis they want.
Player suspensions for off-field behavior, and more accurately representing the foibles of real NFL coaches, would be welcome additions, as long as they were done with subtlety and finesse.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #99
Rookie

Penalties in Madden in its current 'game state' just isn't going to work. The base game play, player animations and interactions have remained relatively static and unchanged for pretty much an entire generation...that is...Xbox360/PS:3 and now the first X:1 & PS:4 release.

So for right now, no, adding penalties to the mix would be IMO ugly and simply adding a randomly generated stat line.

At some point in the future, if this title can finally evolve and have some proper physics, some proper ball physics and trajectories and animation system. Then sure and yes, get penalties back in there and bring the gauntlet of them and put them in place with a proper risk-reward system.

P.S. casual Madden players and/or casual NFL gamers is a myth. Like many before have said, this arcadey Madden product is one part marketing and two parts catering to the wam-bam I'm done online gamers and tournament players.

Also I don't see anyone mentioning the NFL's role in this. This is their licensed product after all and I would bet that they have a fair amount of input into what they would like and what they want to see in their virtual official product.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 0
EA SPORTS does not make sim sports titles only casual games. They want their games to be accessible to a much broader audience. EA SPORTS BIG was the casual gamers field but it is cheaper to make sim/arcade style games to kill two birds with one stone. Madden will never be sim. Look at NBA LIVE 15 nothing sim about it just a good looking game made to playable and fun just like Madden and FIFA. I'm sure that 2k would have made on hell of a football game but we may never know.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #101
Rookie

JHTJ's Arena

OVR: 0
Its crazy to me how superior NBA2K15 is to Madden 15. I am a diehard Football fan, and just a casual NBA fan - but I haven't even thought of playing Madden since ive purchased NBA2K. It is a better representation of the sport, more aesthetically pleasing, deeper in every mode, and a better overall experience.

I cant help but think there are tens of thousands of highly impressionable kids picking up these games and being influenced as they align themselves with a sport of choice. One they will invest in, emotionally and financially, for a lifetime. The NFL surely knows this, or maybe they don't. Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell I guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #102
Banned

jfrost32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
That is a bit of a straw man, and you know it. A realistic simulation of a financial system in a football game would no more require a CPA or a law degree than a realistic simulation of a running game requires attendance at an NFL training camp.

Player suspensions for off-field behavior, and more accurately representing the foibles of real NFL coaches, would be welcome additions, as long as they were done with subtlety and finesse.
Subtlety and finesse is not in the EA dictionary with any of their games lol
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #103

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Is this really surprising? EA Sports has this issue through all their games. NHL games have had a huge issue with penalties the past number of years. Madden is similar(but not as serious as NHL) and FIFA you don't really ever see cards handed out either.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #104
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
If we had a game that 100% reflected the real NFL, most people here would hate it. Where does the "replicate football" end? Do you want real life budget management for CFM mode as well, one where you need to be a CPA to balance? Do you want to have real contracts where you have to hire a lawyer just to understand some of the verbiage used? Should they add a Rex Ryan mode where your coach accidentally uses time outs at the wrong time? How about a Justin Blackmon mode where your star WR turns out to be a psychotic addict who can't stay out of trouble? This is all stuff that replicates the real NFL that everyone here says on a daily basis they want.
Yes to all.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »