Home

Madden 18 Review

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Review within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Madden NFL 18 Review by Digital Trends (Steven Petite)

Quote:
"Madden NFL 18 makes a legitimate case for the title of best sports game of this generation and arguably of all-time."

-Steven Petite, Digital Trends
Rex tweeted this and at first I thought HE said it and I was about to throw myself off a tall building, but then I saw he was just posting a review. Then, when I read the review I was just shaking my head thinking "Did this guy even play the game?".

Here is the link to the review: https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-r...nfl-18-review/

Some tidbits:

Quote:
Annual sports franchises have to walk the tricky line of making incremental improvements to update a static game whose rules rarely change. Change nothing, and the game feels like a glorified patch. Change too much, and you risk alienating fans who came to play their favorite game. With a wealth of engaging gameplay, Madden NFL 18 strikes this balance, and makes a legitimate case for the title of best sports game of this generation — and arguably all-time.

Quote:
Even with the addition of Longshot, the core Madden experience has been overhauled to bring the series ever so close to NFL realism. The switch to EA’s Frostbite engine — primarily used for action games such as Battlefield Hardline, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Star Wars Battlefront II — brings welcome presentational and technical changes to the field. As great as Madden has been in recent years, new, detailed animations bring players to life in ways that make the game look and feel more like the games we watch on Sundays.

Quote:
Madden 18’s gameplay enhancements are consummately impressive, but the two game modes that will likely occupy most of your time — Ultimate Team and Franchise mode — don’t turn the wheel much.

Quote:
Overall, franchise mode is a polished, deep experience, but it hasn’t received any major updates in a few years. That said, the gameplay changes do make playing with a created player more rewarding than ever before.

Quote:
Even without any changes to Franchise mode, Madden NFL 18 is the best entry in the series to date. Realistic visuals, overhauled mechanics, and Longshot mode create a more authentic NFL football experience.

Is there a better alternative?

No, the Madden franchise is the only licensed football sim on the market, and Madden NFL 18 is in a class all its own.

How long will it last?

There’s enough here to interest you until next year’s installment. The story mode lasts 3-4 hours but replaying it multiple times is encouraged. Franchise mode and Ultimate Team offer deeply rewarding experiences with near-infinite replay value. Plus, you can play online against friends or other fans throughout football season.

Should you buy it?

Yes, if you even have a passing interest in football — or video game narratives — Madden NFL 18 is a must-buy.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 08-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Review by Digital Trends (Steven Petite)

A passing interest in football?

Very punny

We are a critical group but this review is as I expected. I also expect every madden to get better and features not be removed (since the addition of Rex)

He's delivered on every promise I can recall to date. Where he's come up short, he left it open or vague to keep expectations low or non existent.

Excited to get the game in my hands, sharpen the pencil and pad and start providing feedback (and having some CFM fun)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Rookie

Obviously an EA Homer. I haven't seen ANYTHING that says BEST sports game EVER!! LOL

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

Re: Madden 18 Review

I mean I'm all for being patient with fixes to the gameplay and what not, but to say, "Best SPORTS game of this generation and arguably of all-time" ???

It's very hard to take this reviewer seriously after that ridiculous statement.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

This guy clearly never owned NFL2K5. Or any of the Top Spin games. Or like 15 other games from various sports lol. Good game so far but that's a bit ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Pro

Oh no! A different opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Born in '82, 49er Faithful since 1986!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
Rookie

This may be the first time I've ever been on their website...can't say it would be a go to for video game reviews.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

I thought it was a pretty indepth review, glad they covered just about everything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »