Home

What defense will stop short passing and screens?

This is a discussion on What defense will stop short passing and screens? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
What defense will stop short passing and screens?

I heard about robo QB against the cpu, but I swear I'm frustrated playing people online that screen right, screen left throw quick outs to WR and crossing routes to the TE. I would like to know the best defense to call and what adjustments to do pre snap. It's like I know whats coming but can't stop it...

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: What defense will stop short passing and screens?

Can't speak for Madden, but IRL, man defenses work better against screens than zones. Since a screen is designed to invite defenders in, don't blitz. You'll be taking those defenders out of the play. And use bump & run if you suspect a WR screen.

Cover 2 should work well against quick outs. Bump & run with a good CB could be effective as well.

Crossing routes are tough. With man, a DB/LB has to stay with the TE all the way across the field. With zones, defenders are passing off coverage to the next defender and there will always be holes. Maybe try a hybrid zone/man coverage if there are any, to try and confuse the user.

Again, these are real life strategies. I have no idea what would work in Madden.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #3

LL-Cool-P's Arena

OVR: 18

I audible to Cover 2 if I'm expecting a short-medium pass.

I have the linebackers cover about 5-10 yards deep in zone coverage, LOLB to the left, MLB in the middle and ROLB to the right.

I also use press coverage by the CBs and push the safety's to about 15-20 yards deep.

Seems to work for the most part.

- Back like I never left -

Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Rookie

KC Fire's Arena

OVR: 5

Play man defense and control your defensive end. When you see the screen play starting to set up, move your defensive end in front of the receiver. I have actually gotten a couple ints this way. Or you can just hot route the defensive end to contain and control the MLB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »