Home

Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

This is a discussion on Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: The exclusivity deal will be:
Renewed 224 69.78%
NFL will see the errors of it's ways and rip it up 97 30.22%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #57
Banned

N@X_WiZaRD's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
wow 400 million for the exclusivity contract? I don't think so. That seems like a ridiculous amount. But I do agree that EA is operating at a loss due to the exclusivity deal. I think the NFL would rather lower the price of the deal instead of earning royalties.
400 million would be a steal man. EA makes over 2.5B off Madden every year. If anything, the contract should be closer to 1 billion, considering that it spans 4 entire NFL seasons.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #58
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
400 million would be a steal man. EA makes over 2.5B off Madden every year. If anything, the contract should be closer to 1 billion, considering that it spans 4 entire NFL seasons.
2.5 Billion every year from Madden?????????????? I don't know how much they make from Madden but it's nowhere near that. How did you come up with that number?
The Nfl love their exclusive agreements and definately want one for video games. However I don't see Ea paying that much again. Madden sales have been dissapointing. After last gen Madden Ea sent some of their best talent away from Madden to work on Nfl Head coach trying to make full use of their license. This didn't succeed with Head Coach no longer around and Madden taking a hit. Having the exclusive license hasn't been the gold mine Ea thought it would. Something will change but probably just the price.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #59
Banned

N@X_WiZaRD's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
2.5 Billion every year from Madden?????????????? I don't know how much they make from Madden but it's nowhere near that. How did you come up with that number?
The Nfl love their exclusive agreements and definately want one for video games. However I don't see Ea paying that much again. Madden sales have been dissapointing. After last gen Madden Ea sent some of their best talent away from Madden to work on Nfl Head coach trying to make full use of their license. This didn't succeed with Head Coach no longer around and Madden taking a hit. Having the exclusive license hasn't been the gold mine Ea thought it would. Something will change but probably just the price.
I did the math, but thanks to my f*cked up monitor (been a bad day), I miscounted the amount of zeroes. So yea, it's more like 500+ million Per Year 200+ Million Per Year. I apologize.

(PS2) Madden 10 = $40.00 x 0.87 mill = 34800000
(Xbox) Madden 10 = $40.00 x ?????
(GC) Madden 10 = ????? x ?????
(PC) Madden 10 = ????? x ?????
(Wii) Madden 10 = $50.00 x 0.63 mill = 31500000
(X360) Madden 10 = $60.00 x 1.85 mill = 111000000
(PS3) Madden 10 = $60.00 x 2.33 mill = 139800000
Total: 200+ Million

re-edited, eurgh. I'm just going to stop visiting this forum until I get a replacement screen.

Last edited by N@X_WiZaRD; 05-02-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
Not even remotely close to 2.5 billion. Total sales to date since the inception of Madden maybe, but there is no game ever made that has even done 500 million in one year.

Edit...

The MMO called World of Warcraft would be meet or exceed that number due to its monthly subscription fees

Last edited by Crimsontide27; 05-02-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Edit...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #61
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Not even remotely close to 2.5 billion. Total sales to date since the inception of Madden maybe, but there is no game ever made that has even done 500 million in one year.

Edit...

The MMO called World of Warcraft would be meet or exceed that number due to its monthly subscription fees
Modern Warfare 2 broke the record bringing in over $550 million in the first 5 days, bigger than any movie or video game release in history.

GTA4 also broke the $500m mark in just under 5 days.

By comparison, EA had $4.2b in revenue last year with 31 titles selling more than a million units.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 29

As for the poll, I believe the NFL will no longer have the ability to give exclusive rights to only EA for NFL Video Games once the American Needle case goes through the Supreme Court.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #63
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18

The NFL likes it because they make much more money from EA than they did when multiple parties had the license.

EA likes it because it locks out competition.

The only way that this isnt renewed is if EA decides it isnt worth it and that could happen considering they are hurting a good bit right now.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #64
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I love madden to death. But I wouldn't mind seeing other companies giving EA a run for their money and all. If BackBreaker could add fatigue, injuries , deep offline franchise mode/owner mode and so on. Then BB could give EA the works. BB could run EA out the football business if they did the game just right. But for now my surpport remains fully to buying BB every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »