Home

Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space?

This is a discussion on Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
Is the salary cap fixed this year, or are Brees, Manning and Brady all going to end up in FA in 2 years or after the draft.
Gotta agree with snowman...
If you go an re-sign early, you can push back some of the cap problem and SAVE people like you've identified...of course, that may mean you have to make that up with other bodies.

Of course, you likely mean the CPU not managing the salary cap - bulb just came on - I take back what I just said, although it still is a brilliant "human" idea!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, I do think that you may take a penalty hit with that final year of bonus (if any - and there usually is on the top notch players) as the new contract kicks in right away?

Either way, Great plan snowman...

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"

Last edited by Winnipeg59; 08-06-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Light bulb moment!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59
Gotta agree with snowman...
If you go an re-sign early, you can push back some of the cap problem and SAVE people like you've identified...of course, that may mean you have to make that up with other bodies.

Of course, you likely mean the CPU not managing the salary cap - bulb just came on - I take back what I just said, although it still is a brilliant "human" idea!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, I do think that you may take a penalty hit with that final year of bonus (if any - and there usually is on the top notch players) as the new contract kicks in right away?

Either way, Great plan snowman...
Yeah, I was talking about the stupidity of the franchise mode where the CPU will release players who would never be released ever, unless a crime was committed.

Snowman has a good idea, but I'd need to see evidence of it working to make sure it isn't fool proof, or CPU proof. Even if you lowered the bonuses and such, when they are released in FA, sometimes no one resigns them because they are so expensive. Last year, with the cap on, Adrian Peterson sat in FA after the draft (the CPU released him to make room for draft picks!) all season and the following season because no one could afford him. Now, that's crap. lol
Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 5

Dump Haynesworth that guy is a lazy turd
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Rookie

raiderzride4free's Arena

OVR: 1

i dont know about you guys but if i remember correctly, when i would trade big contract players i would still get hit with a cap penalty.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
Rookie

EmmittSmithx22x's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superrandy
Get rid of older guys with gigantic salaries. Trade them for younger, cheaper players and picks.

Especially watch your OL, I would never pay big money to anything but a LT in Madden, all the other spots are soooo easy to draft for. You can get great guards and centers in rounds 4-7 every draft. Dont sign average (75-80) CB's, they're always grossly overpaid in Madden and demand wayyy too much cash to be your nickelback.
I don't agree with this tactic 100% I would have to add this warning. If you are dumping contracts, make sure you dump contracts that don't have super high Signing Bonuses. Because if you do. You eat that signing bonus. Eventually (and I have seen this happen to people) if you dump enough people with huge signing bonuses. You will be SO FAR in the negative cap space that there is literally nothing you can do to get out of it. I had a friend go something like -200million cap space. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. He had to restart his franchise cause of it.

OS
VETS Madden League:
Vets Bowl V,VII,IX Champion (Bengals)

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
Yeah, I was talking about the stupidity of the franchise mode where the CPU will release players who would never be released ever, unless a crime was committed.

Snowman has a good idea, but I'd need to see evidence of it working to make sure it isn't fool proof, or CPU proof. Even if you lowered the bonuses and such, when they are released in FA, sometimes no one resigns them because they are so expensive. Last year, with the cap on, Adrian Peterson sat in FA after the draft (the CPU released him to make room for draft picks!) all season and the following season because no one could afford him. Now, that's crap. lol
But Adrian Peterson has fumbleitus and thats the reason Favre dosent have another ring.

My Mariners dynasty!
XBL Gamertag- xLMJx21
Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

resign guys with 1 or 2 years left on their deal that are owed $10 mill + to 5/6 year deals and all you would owe them is their remaining bonus and the new contract your going to give them which isnt that much to start out

can get out of a tight salary cap situation just by doing this with 3-4 players
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I usually try to trade older more experienced players (sometimes even 90's or above) for younger players with 4 or 5 years left who I think will be A potential players.

Example from Madden 10 -
- Traded Moss to Eagles for D. Jackson (and a pick)
- Traded Nick Kazcur (OL) to the Colts for 2nd Year Lineman with A Potential
- Traded Vince Wilfork to Bengals for CB Joseph and a pick

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »