Home

Potential, Temporary Handicap Fix For CCM

This is a discussion on Potential, Temporary Handicap Fix For CCM within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Rookie

maccerbiggie's Arena

OVR: 1
Lightbulb Potential, Temporary Handicap Fix For CCM

So like the everyone here, I've gone through set, after set, after set of sliders to try and keep me half satisfied with CCM. We all want competition, with a game that doesn't leave us feeling like we just played a CPU that is the equivalent of playing some 4 year old kid who is trigger happy on the controller, and has no idea how to manage a game of football.

My conclusion is that although we rinse the run game in CCM as it's biggest issue, I feel what let's it down the most is the AI's decision making. The play calling is more than questionable. The top teams in the league are pretty much all based around their top QB's. However these top QB's rarely even get going as teams seem to love to hopelessly run the ball despite having a 95+ rated QB.

My Suggested Fix

I've seen some suggest this around the forums so I don't claim this as a masterful discovery of my own.

11 Second Acc Clock RunOff
Gameflow On (Can't be changed)
Always accept the play picked for you under - GamePlan
Only changes that can be made are to 'Smart Route' a receiver

I played 3 games last night while testing a theory of default All Pro, and came to realise when I play exactly how GameFlow tells me to, I am then playing on the same AI decision making as the CPU's. Which as we've established, isn't smart.

It's a shame we have to handicap ourselves to this extent, but that's EA for you.

Fired up a random CCM with the Bronco's and jumped straight to regular season

W1 vs. Steelers - Won 27 - 17
W2 vs. Falcons - Won 17 - 13
W3 vs. Texans - Lost 33 - 24

Now this was on default All Pro with minor tweaks. After thinking it over, if I were to implement this theory with some of these proclaimed 'Sim Style Sliders', that actually provide a challenge (Jarrod21 is a personal favorite) maybe we could see some good results where the CPU actually runs you in to the ground for once.

It would interesting to see if anyone else would give this a try to see how they get on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Potential, Temporary Handicap Fix For CCM

That's what i've discovered too. I'll add that I believe the CPU runs more effectively on Speed Threshold 100 and while I play on Slow I feel they also perform better on Fast game speed but that isn't for everyone.

I use a heavy amount of house rules, which is necessary in every sports game even the great ones. The CCM AI takes it to a whole new level though. Check out the sliders in my signature to read up how I play. I wish every slider guru would write how they play the game as I believe playing style impacts things just as much as sliders do.

On D I use the play Gameflow picks for me with no exceptions. I use the no switch rule but I take it further and I wait to control my player till I see what the CPU is doing. If they are running then I let the CPU control all my defenders. If they are passing then I take over control of my guy and play as normal. On Offense I let myself choose any passing play (Except Curls-Flat I feel its very cheap) once each for every three drives. This adds some strategy and brings the variety. Running plays I don't limit myself I don't see outside runs being gimmies with my sliders and 100 threshold. I also do not use the Total Control Passing (left stick when passing) as I feel it is cheap and makes every USER QB turn into Tom Brady no matter what sliders you set. I don't USER catch or take control of my receivers at any point I let their ratings play into how things turn out once they have the ball, I feel this is much more realisitc. I was very frustrated with the USER Passing game until changing up my playing style and now it feels great. On Kickoff/Punt returns, fumble recoverys, INTs I allow the game to play itself so the ratings have the bigger impact not my stick skills.

If you are strict and don't cheat yourself Madden can be fun i'd still prefer the Play Now AI which doesn't require as many self imposed limits.

Last edited by BrianU; 09-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Rookie

maccerbiggie's Arena

I think you're right in understanding that House Rules need to be applied.

I also agree with the thought that the sliders, 'gurus' make, should come with an explanation of how they play. Everyone plays differently, and I am still amazed to this day how somebody else's set of sliders can work perfectly for others. I'm sure some people play similar, but I doubt there are so many of us who ALL play the same way. Even like who you control on the D makes a huge difference. What you favorite team's playbook is will change the way you perceive how well your sliders work.

I like your house rules. I also go with the -

No switch rule
No user catch on O & D
Special Teams is played out by the CPU

I am thinking I may adopt your rule of no precision passing. I usually play with Dalton so I don't think I ever noticed it, but I noticed when playing with Manning, that they if they have high enough ratings, they 'precision pass' automatically sometimes. It's nicer to rely on their ratings, as opposed to again, out smarting the CPU's poor logic by putting the ball somewhere where the AI hasn't had enough of a brain to cover. Feels like an exploit.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
MVP

BrianU's Arena

I wish there was a slider for Total Control Passing, I like the aspect of having more control where the ball goes its just too much imo. With Mark Sanchez and QB Accuracy 4 I can literally march down the field with just passing plays and score at will. It really takes the QB ratings out of the game and all that matters is your stick skills. If you move the left stick up and throw to a drag route across the middle of the field its a guaranteed first down. I tried limiting myself to Gameflow offense but even then it's still easy as pie. I am toying with the idea of only using TCP on 20+ yard straight ahead downfield passes but other pass I play hands off the left stick.

If you choose the no TCP method I suggest putting USER QB Accuracy at 5 this gives a good amount of bad throws and good throws corresponding to your QBs ratings I have found.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Rookie

maccerbiggie's Arena

Yeah, it's a shame how easy it is to head down the field. I really wish the way sliders affect the game in 'Play Now', would translate in to CCM. The defense seems to have more venom about them and really penalize you for bad throws.

I'm still pretty satisfied at this point with GameFlow calling the shots on offense. Mainly because they would pick some plays that I really would not have in certain situations.

I'm currently also working with Tomba & akita7334's slider theory's. They're much more than just the standard sliders, but also figuring out the mechanics behind the game. I'm hoping with that and combining these house rules, I might get a good game or two on my hands.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
MVP

BrianU's Arena

I recommend checking out MarketingWiz's sliders, he has some good theorys behind his set. Him and others have been getting good games out of them I modified them to my own liking and think they work the best for me the way I play
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey guys whats up, about "CCM" cpu gameplay actually being challenging, I just posted up a completely revamped set of gameplay settings and sliders for online "CCM" and not only in my opinion are they realistic but challenging. BrianU I have taken the concept of your "house rule" method and applied it to my set. There really are only two which I feel are the only ones needed which involve not using the left trigger/L2 on defense as it is just a cheap advantage that is unrealistic and using "hot routes" on offense not including creating more blockers or the qb and using the "smart route" feature. Outside of that everything else is a go and as I state in my set things like "audibles" will actually be needed at times being that the defense adjust to your offense. It truly becomes a chess game out there which has really been my main gripe. I am not trying to be disrespectful to this post whatsoever but I truly think I might have embarked on something worthy of consideration but if not it's fine with me. Either way thanks a lot BrianU for you insight and perspective with your thread as you along with others have really enhanced my ability to make these sliders, not perfect, but damn near. Peace bro.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »