Home

Help your PC brothers...Boycott or Delay your Madden 09 purchase.

This is a discussion on Help your PC brothers...Boycott or Delay your Madden 09 purchase. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
Help your PC brothers...Boycott or Delay your Madden 09 purchase.

http://itsinthegame.ea.com Peter Moore just gave the PC community the finger.

Well, Lets screw him back. I ask our console brothers to boycott...or alteast delay their purchase of Madden 09 in protest. You can protest EA's history of screwing with loyal gamers with sub-standard products. Delay your purchase for atleast 1-2 weeks so it will show in the first weeks' numbers that like to brag about.

EA is celebrating 20 years of Madden......by stopping making the game on its original platform?

Peter Moore screwed up the Xbox 360, Don't let him screw us on the only decent version of Madden.

We need to show EA sports we are fed up, and won't take it anymore.!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Help your PC brothers...Boycott or Delay your Madden 09 purchase.

Realistically, even if every gamer who frequents online messageboards follows suite, it wouldn't likely make a noticeable dent in the console sales. In any case, most people probably couldn't care less - half the people here reading this probably just thought "whoa, there was a PC version?".

It's unfortunate that, in the year of 20th celebrations, EA dump the platform that made them what they are today. With the support from PC gamers all those years, EA simply wouldn't be in the position they are. They can shell out mega bucks to try and buy out their competition through various avenues (including hostile takeover), but they can't stay loyal to the fanbase that has stayed loyal to them, despite the pathetic resources EA have put into their PC titles these past few years. Perhaps what's even more unfortunate though is you won't likely hear anything about this anywhere significant. IGN, Gamespot, etc, even places like OS will likely not cover this with any real effort, despite the fact EA are indeed leaving a fanbase of theirs out in the cold, whilst grasping their exclusive license so noone else can step up. There is something seriously wrong in the world when actions like that are considered legal.

I find it convenient a company that claims to thrive off of competition and challenges ******* out when it comes to the challenge of making Madden PC a great title. The potential is amazing for what they could achieve It could easily be their best version (because it already is despite the BS). . Yet they remain scared of the challenge, hiding behind the excuse it hasn't sold well enough, when the reality is EA have been porting the PS2 version directly for years with little to no effort to make the PC version platform specific. Yeah, it's the PC gamer's fault a game which is based on 2001 technology with bugs and issues that have been present for years unfixed doesn't sell well enough, rightyo EA. The only feature that made the PC version special - online leagues - was removed years ago for god knows what reason, and they wonder why PC gamers don't gets as excited each year about Madden like the console gamers do.

What a dismal state sports gaming is in with this lot at the helm. One can only hope this is a blessing in disguise, and a necessary step to get a proper developer who knows how to make sports videogames onto the PC. But then EA will probably just do a hostile takeover of that company too I guess.

Last edited by Nza; 04-01-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Hold on Mr. Scarface,

These are the comments you made in Peter Moore blog:

"Unlike the console (community), this (PC) community is more MATURE and spends ALOT of dollars."

"There may be less of us than the consoles, but we (PC Gamers) are MORE AFFLUENT, MORE PROFESSIONAL than our console counterparts."

First, you stereotype us, those that do our gaming on consoles. Then, you say that PC gamers are more mature, affluent, and more professional than those of us who game on consoles. But now, you want us to boycott and delay our potential purchases so the PC community can benefit?

C'mon guy, that's not cool. It's really ridiculous actually. If you're upset that EA is not producing Madden 2009 for the PC, then fine, be upset. But why belittle us who play on the console in the process?

That's why I do not sympathize for some of the PC gamers. Now, if you want to play the latest addition of Madden, you have to go out and do the same thing most of us have already had to do: shell out 300+ dollars for a next gen system.

What makes PC gamers any different than those who played Madden on PSOne, Xbox, Gamecube, Sega Genesis, etc? Eventually, Madden was discontinued for each one of those consoles and people were faced with a decision: either quit playing Madden or upgrade to a new console. Now, PC gamers are facing the same decision.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Rookie

triplela's Arena

OVR: 3

I add to this. When you do buy the console version, wait a couple of days and I promise there will be copies that people have returned due to being dissatisfied with Madden 09. It happens every year. Buy these used copies. Do not give EA your money!!! THEY HAVE STOLEN ENOUGH OF OUR MONEY!!!!! TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!! REMEMBER THE DISASTER THAT MADDEN 08 WAS PEOPLE!!! INCORRECT UNIFORMS, TURNOVER BUG!!! FREE AGENT BUG!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Rookie

triplela's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Hold on Mr. Scarface,

These are the comments you made in Peter Moore blog:

"Unlike the console (community), this (PC) community is more MATURE and spends ALOT of dollars."

"There may be less of us than the consoles, but we (PC Gamers) are MORE AFFLUENT, MORE PROFESSIONAL than our console counterparts."

First, you stereotype us, those that do our gaming on consoles. Then, you say that PC gamers are more mature, affluent, and more professional than those of us who game on consoles. But now, you want us to boycott and delay our potential purchases so the PC community can benefit?

C'mon guy, that's not cool. It's really ridiculous actually. If you're upset that EA is not producing Madden 2009 for the PC, then fine, be upset. But why belittle us who play on the console in the process?

That's why I do not sympathize for some of the PC gamers. Now, if you want to play the latest addition of Madden, you have to go out and do the same thing most of us have already had to do: shell out 300+ dollars for a next gen system.

What makes PC gamers any different than those who played Madden on PSOne, Xbox, Gamecube, Sega Genesis, etc? Eventually, Madden was discontinued for each one of those consoles and people were faced with a decision: either quit playing Madden or upgrade to a new console. Now, PC gamers are facing the same decision.
While I agree with you about the consoles and the maturity comment being out of line, I do disagree with your comparison of the PC to PS1, Genesis, Gamecube, etc. A big difference is that PCs are still being produced. PS1, Genesis, etc ARE all obsolete. People still buy PCs and with the introduction of DirectX10, there is a whole new area of potential. Also, not everyone has $300-$400 to spend on a new console. Plus those games are $60 compared to the $40 for PC. While, I can possibly justify the $60 for Madden, I cannot justify the $300-$400 plus $60/yearly for Madden. I have a wife, kids, car notes, mortgage, real life stuff. My $40/year for Madden was a treat. It was something my wife would always like to get for me for our anniversary every year. Now that is over. Enjoy Madden 09 those of you on console. Looks like it's Madden 08 and textmod for me for the forseable future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Nza
MVP

rgiles36, comparing the PC to old consoles is silly. The PC as a platform is never redundant like consoles can be. They cancel games on those platforms because console gamers have moved to the latest hardware. PC gamers do that too, it's just differences in design mean the latest PC hardware is still called a "PC". Think of it like if Sony just called it the Playstation without any number for the past 12 years.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplela
...Looks like it's Madden 08 and textmod for me for the forseable future.
And the funny thing is, it will still be likely a better game than 09 360 is. If you take away the eye candy, the next gen games have been vastly inferior to the PS2 game let alone the PC, which is a beefed up PS2 game. Will this change for 09? I'd be surprised if it did.

The PC community hasn't even scratched the surface of possible 3rd party mods. We can edit franchise files how we please, so technically we could replace everything Madden does outside its 3D engine when it comes to things like franchise mode. There is already a utility that does the entire scouting and drafting process with superior CPU AI, maybe one day we'd see an entire offseason utility with improved free agency logic, future draft picks trading, transition tags, compensation picks based on last year's FA activity, cpu to cpu trading, etc etc. With no new version coming to potentially reset editing efforts, some shackles have been removed from modders.

As I said, it could be a blessing in disguise really. It's an insult EASports went through with it, and they're not getting my money anytime soon because of it, but perhaps ultimately the PC and EASports relationship needed a break up. PC gamers were growing tired of EA's lackluster effort on the PC, and I'm sure EA will enjoy getting rid of PC gamers moaning about patches and issues (although they'll seemingly have plenty of console gamers filling that void).

Last edited by Nza; 04-01-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Nza and Triple,

Yes, I'm aware that is an extreme example. But my point is, when games (Madden in this case) were no longer produced for those systems, gamers ended up having to kick out the money for a new system.

Trust me, I know how tough it is to kick out 300 bucks for entertainment purposes (especially given the status of the economy but that's another story lol). But like I was saying, my only point was to say that when circumstances like this occur, in order to continue playing Madden (which hasn't been something to brag about lately on next gen) you'll have to move on and puchase a console. Those of us who play on the console have had to already do the same thing. That's why I said what makes you guys any different from those of us who have already shelled out money on a next gen system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »