Home

Obviously Bad Calls on Out of Bounds Catches

This is a discussion on Obviously Bad Calls on Out of Bounds Catches within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Obviously Bad Calls on Out of Bounds Catches

I ran a search in here and didn't come up with anything obvious and wanted to see if others were having the same problem and if there was any type of solution.

I've had the game since Xmas and believe I have downloaded all of the patches.

Just playing an exhibition game yesterday with the Pats vs. Cowboys. I was down 3 with about a minute left to go. I march down the field into Cowboy territory with about 25 seconds left. I get to about the 38 with 12 seconds left. I throw an 8 out to Moss who catches the ball just outside the hash mark and takes 4-5 steps before heading out of bounds with about 7 seconds on the clock....field goal to send this thing into overtime, here I come.

Wrong.

Cut scene to the ref's coming together to wave "no catch-incomplete pass".

I swore it wasn't even close and check the replay. Sure enough, Moss catches the ball and takes four full steps and maybe a fifth before stepping out of bounds right at the 30. I try and hold off on the next play in hopes a challenge will be called from above, but no luck.

Next play-field goal lands about 5 yards short and I lose.

I've noticed simiar occurances maybe 2-3 other times in the total of 7 or 8 games I have played.

Is this a known problem? Again, I tried a search, but came up empty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Obviously Bad Calls on Out of Bounds Catches

yeah, I've seen that a couple times as well...

The sideline (and field-position) awareness by players has always been a problem, and the refs making bad calls certainly doesn't help.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I've seen these pop up from time to time.

One almost cost me a game when I was driving for the game-winning TD and caught a 3rd and goal pass in the back of the endzone with a good 3 or 4 feet inbounds.

It somehow got ruled incomplete, but I managed to score on 4th down, anyway.

Madden just has a very poor handling of the sidelines in general.

The lack of sideline catch animations is just as bad as the game's logic in determining what is/isn't a catch.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Just playing an exhibition game yesterday with the Pats vs. Cowboys. I was down 3 with about a minute left to go. I march down the field into Cowboy territory with about 25 seconds left. I get to about the 38 with 12 seconds left. I throw an 8 out to Moss who catches the ball just outside the hash mark and takes 4-5 steps before heading out of bounds with about 7 seconds on the clock....field goal to send this thing into overtime, here I come.

Wrong.

Cut scene to the ref's coming together to wave "no catch-incomplete pass".

I swore it wasn't even close and check the replay. Sure enough, Moss catches the ball and takes four full steps and maybe a fifth before stepping out of bounds right at the 30. I try and hold off on the next play in hopes a challenge will be called from above, but no luck.
Moss was bobbling the ball. Even if you can't see it, that's what happened. Believe it, and you will feel better.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

I see this at least once a game without exception, whether the bad call go against me or the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Have you tried challenging the call when this happens?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

The horrible thing is, the "challenge play" logic is so broken in Madden that something like this can't even be overturned...I've had over 25+ sideline catches fail to be overturned under review despite watching the replay of the receiver with both feet in bounds. This needs to be addressed next year...ever since EA reintroduced the coach's challenge to the next-gen game, it's been useless IMO.

Although I think that these may be instances of a catching animation simply occurring in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why these animations can't be branched into a simple "keep toes in bounds" animation is beyond me, since other catching animations seem to branch...it's confusing.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
The horrible thing is, the "challenge play" logic is so broken in Madden that something like this can't even be overturned...I've had over 25+ sideline catches fail to be overturned under review despite watching the replay of the receiver with both feet in bounds. This needs to be addressed next year...ever since EA reintroduced the coach's challenge to the next-gen game, it's been useless IMO.

Although I think that these may be instances of a catching animation simply occurring in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why these animations can't be branched into a simple "keep toes in bounds" animation is beyond me, since other catching animations seem to branch...it's confusing.
Same!!! And sometimes the "Challenge Play" option isn't even there!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »