Home

History of the NFL Madden

This is a discussion on History of the NFL Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 11
Thumbs up History of the NFL Madden

I dont know if this would ever be possible but I would love to see it one day. A Madden where you start as your favorite team the year that they were developed or in 1966. Every Franchise would begin with the 1966 Season and rosters. Expansion teams would begin the year they were developed. For example if you chose the Panthers you would begin in 1995 with the expansion draft and then move on to NFL Draft. The best part about this game is to rewrite history. Would the 49ers have the dynasty of the 80s or would another team draft Montana. Could you give Barry Sanders a QB and give him a chance at a super bowl. Would Lou Holtz be able to stay with the Jets. With the game you could rewrite everything. The game would change the history of the nfl. This I have a feeling would be all fantasy I'm not sure how you could ever get the license to include players from 1966-2010 but it would be a great game and the replay value would be amazing. Just an idea, let me know what you think
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: History of the NFL Madden

That would take a lot more research and work than a company could do in a year.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The "Hind sight" franchise.

You would need dynamic draft boards and draft logic for the computer. joe was drafted with the in the 3rd round with the 82 overall draft pick. He was a scrawny back up in Notre Dame and played back up in SF for Steve DeBerg. It wasn't until mid way through the 1980 season when DeBerg was hurt that Montana got a chance to really play. Montana also never had a rocket arm or anything. I didn't grow up watching him [only 26years old] but I have my dad's video tapes [VHS, remember those?] and Montana really culdn't throw and accurate deep ball to save his life. It really took Rice and his skills for him to complete a deep ball. Not only was there a rules change [as I'm told] regarding pass interference and illegal contact after 5 years, but also because of Montana's skill set and Bill Walsh did we get the WCO.

The point I am making here is that because we think of Montana as one of the best that has ever played, if not the best [though naming anyone "The Best" is silly to me,] It's not like he should come out of that draft as a top pick high rated player. In fact, unless the user picks him "early," he should go until the 3rd round or so.

More over, hind sight being what it is? Why would and how couldn't the user just try and gobble up all of the draft "steals" through history?

Say everything is simulated to repeat as it is supposed to until the Elway/Marino Draft... Do the Colts get and KEEP Elway? Would the user controlled Jets draft Marino instead, like the fans were asking for?

It's an interesting idea. It would be fun. See what happens to Bo Jackson if he doesn't get hurt. Simulate everything through until the 1994 AFC Championship game where the Chief led by Joe Montana along with Marcus Allen, Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas play against the Chargers to see who is going to play the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Change history and have a Chiefs 49ers - Montana Young part 2 for all the marbles. How much would that change the simulation?

The what if game is fun to think about, but I don't see anyone actually making a game that deep.

Do the Vikings not turn the ball over 5 times against the Saints? Do the '98 Vikings make that FG? Was Brady's fumble upheld instead of overturned against Oakland?

In a game of inches and where one play can change history forever, it's fun to ask, "what if?" How does a franchise change? What if the Titans were a yard closer and took the Rams to over time [the first over time Super Bowl]
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

There's a guy that posts his "Remember the 90's" franchise on a couple of boards that has done this the only way possible in the game right now. He edits all draft classes to reflect real life, so he has done some substantial research. Madden would need all retro uniforms available so you could reflect uniform changes over the years, and a spreadhseet of all NFL draft classes over the years would need to be developed. I guess you would also need to control all 32 teams. The question becomes what do you do with all the expansion teams? I guess just give them fake players? Would definitely be a tall order, and a lot of work, but it can be done.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
There's a guy that posts his "Remember the 90's" franchise on a couple of boards that has done this the only way possible in the game right now. He edits all draft classes to reflect real life, so he has done some substantial research. Madden would need all retro uniforms available so you could reflect uniform changes over the years, and a spreadhseet of all NFL draft classes over the years would need to be developed. I guess you would also need to control all 32 teams. The question becomes what do you do with all the expansion teams? I guess just give them fake players? Would definitely be a tall order, and a lot of work, but it can be done.

Don't forget, to make it real, all the retro stadiums would have to be in as well. Cleveland's Municipal, Pittsburgh's Three Rivers, Seattle's Superdome, Philly's The Vet, just to name a few....

Would be cool, but doubt it could be done.

Now,on the PC, I'd say yes, as there are alot of talented modders out there......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 5

Cool idea, but after a couple of years, no teams would look like they did in real life.

If you start in 1966, no way the 80 49ers look anything like they really did in the 80's, unless you enforce the actual draft picks, trades, FA pickups, the actual teams did throughout the years.

So what I'm saying is, you wouldn't really be reliving the 1995/96 Packers, cause they wouldn't look anything like what the actual Packers looked like.

Definitely a neat idea though.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Cool idea, but after a couple of years, no teams would look like they did in real life.

If you start in 1966, no way the 80 49ers look anything like they really did in the 80's, unless you enforce the actual draft picks, trades, FA pickups, the actual teams did throughout the years.

So what I'm saying is, you wouldn't really be reliving the 1995/96 Packers, cause they wouldn't look anything like what the actual Packers looked like.

Definitely a neat idea though.
I think that would be the best part. Maybe the Oilers turn in to the team of the 80s. The option that would be best is the ability to rewrite history.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The real X Factor would be coaching. Forgetting madden and EA, just talking about some fantasy video game that could do all of this, just the coaches/coaching alone would be interesting. If everything played out the same going into it, what if Elway didn't beat the Browns twice to go to those Super Bowls. Where would Marty's career be? Elways? Very interesting. Players and coaches who wouldn't get their chance, others who may get a chance they never had.

What if Marshall Faulk and the colts didn't have a falling out? If Trent greene gets hurt in the pre-season, but Warner doesn't have Marshall, do the rams still have the greatest show on turf? How much better would the Colts really be?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »