Home

Prima games breakdown all ratings

This is a discussion on Prima games breakdown all ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Prima games breakdown all ratings

Seems pretty good for someone looking for a general overview of each rating and how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...=c2OnPmlnnbM#!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Prima games breakdown all ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Seems pretty good for someone looking for a general overview of each rating and how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...=c2OnPmlnnbM#!
Terrible link. They say that it's what they think. I appreciate the effort, but it's they're interpretation, not what they really do.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeriousNorwood
Terrible link. They say that it's what they think. I appreciate the effort, but it's they're interpretation, not what they really do.
I posted the link last night or the night before for a user asking about rating explanations. I think what they said was pretty accurate. If you don't like the video because their definitions on subjects in the game are opinions, then why are you on this forum? That's basically everything about this section if you haven't visited the slider discussions.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

This is akin to what Big FN Deal said in the 'Olden Blocking thread: "[...]EA has become [an anecdote] for Pop Culture.[...]" This video is a simple conversation piece.

Madden EA is so broken that people always have a way to make a profit off their drama. It's like what Big Brother and Keeping up with the Kardashians is to women.

Let's look at how the spin move was interpreted: "[...]for the Cpu this probably determines how often the move is performed[...]"

But for someone with a more in-depth knowledge of how the sliders are layered. A default 50 for broken tackles will not allow the Cpu to perform a single spin move or multiple spin moves out of the box. So, what good is that 99 rating?

What good is that 99 rating when you give that player a 0 or 1 for confidence? Then they have no Will.

What good is that 99 rating if you give that player 0 for consistency? What good is that 99 to Power Movies and 99 to Finesse Moves if you disable spins and bull rushes and swim moves for that player? Are you not defeating the purpose of those ratings?

And this is why so many of us could care less to hear another word outside these forums about what someone from EA or other developer perspective thinks or theorizes about these sliders and their rating counterparts.

This convoluted crap shoot spits out poop. It may as well be called a waste basket or fertilizer dump. There is nothing fresh about it. Not until you give the CPU slider boosts and modify penalties do you see them finally come close to fulfilling all their ratings, appropriately.

EA will give ratings that offer skill but will also with the other hand kill that player's will. It is this Kill Will, Cain and Abel approach that attracts more Cain and Abel's into their infrastructure and consumer environment. WE are the Abel-bodied.

WE can play a SIM challenging football game without griping and complaining, without resorting or even having aberrations of finding cheats and exploits.

Those who cheat and exploit loop holes in playbooks (that seem plotted their to make the strategy guide developers Rich), they are the Cain's. They are the ones who agree with killing ability and allowing cheats and amalgamated codes to override skill. They are the ones who agree with killing a player's will just to ensure another player keeps his crown. That's essentially how the ratings work - it's a pecking order - just like their company. The elite NFL players are protected from failure and hardship by default [in this game] and those who buy into the EA Football System are also promoted to the top and "protected". This is why we have DC Glitch manuals, Playbook Glitch Guides and all those other manuals and systems akin to Kill Will.

Sim users do not want to buy a pack of cards with real money to support EA's pockets.

Sim users don't care too much for competing for an artificial rank albeit the gameplay is arcade style, how else do you explain a rb being able to b-line the sideline with no deterrence in speed, agility or acceleration - how do ratings and "physics you can feel" support this type of behavior? .

We are in it for the marathon and not so much the sprint and we are definitely not in this for the 'fantasy football' experience. We are in it for the simulated Pro Football NFL Experience. And guess what, it's those very area's of the game that are suffering:

*Exhibition gameplay performance outshines CCM but the results do not transfer to CCM.
*Offline CCM pales in comparison to Online.
*The Offline Sim user does not have a manual to work with for this finicky slider system.
*MUT users who do not pocket packs are at a sever disadvantage to those who decide their victory by buying Legendary packs and 'stacking their chips'

It is the user who is cool with 'stacking the chips' to increase his dominate hand who agrees with the EA system and helps further promote their message of Kill Will.

Just as someone said in another thread, the same 'Olden Blocking thread - I think it was RyanMoodey, he assimilated that EA was, in fact, "[...]tailoring their own version of Football and nothing remotely close to what Football truly represents[...]." They have their own representatives creating a different kind of 'business football' - a football that is profitable for them but not so much the community of True football users.

EA Madden will someday learn that all of Life is a symbiotic relationship and one person cannot dominate the relationship forever without the relationship eventually eroding and dissolving and evolving into something new. They can't keep edging out the Sim users and think they can survive off the cooperation of the masses who are susceptible to their coercion tactics.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 01-12-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

The above is a long-winded statement but it is all relevent and underscores the subject of EA and their Ratings System. I want to further the discussion but in short this time.

Just like the video, they had two segments and an intermission in between. In this segment let's look at how they broke down the defense.

The analyzer said, regarding block shed, "high block shed, defenders get off a block better.. a guy with high block shed will run over or jump him or move out of the way - that's because he has great block shed."

wait ^ read that again, are those not mandatory, standard ways to shed a block, regardless of your position or ability?! this is why Madden EA is failing with their ratings.

Whether you are a punter or a Ray Lewis, you will do ALL YOU CAN to shed a block. A DB on a blitz, regardless of block shed, will do everything within his capacity to pressure the QB and avoid blocks whilst maximizing his strengths over his weakness.

For this reason above that any player will do all he can to fulfill his duties, this is why Madden EA fails on the subject of ratings and will versus skill. They kill will to satisfy skill opposed to allowing them both to play out organically. A DB will not try to run over a fat o-lineman unless he has the size of a Kam Chancellor this is not a viable course of action to pressure the QB or get to the RB. A DB will use his speed though and agility to maybe edge rush or attack and then spin off..

For this reason above we cannot afford to have a disable function for pass rush moves - this is just one group of ratings but still a big facet of football - the pass rush. The pass rush impacts pass coverage as well as pass success. An intense pass rush can be enough to reduce the greatest QB down to an average QB in respect to accuracy. Hurries are a natural part of the game, it's not a sack alone that measures success. Success is not always measured by the numbers on paper because effort is part of the game.

If a defender makes a half tackle - give him the assist. Or maybe he got in the way and forced the rb inside - this won't get recorded but it is still a success. This is all part of the game and sport and should not be compartmentalized through 'personality' traits.

I'm not killing the job of using will as a factor in ratings but in these areas, will cannot be used the way it is presently being used. Remember, the ratings system is about effecacy not will. Anybody can perform or attempt anything but will not always be successful. Logically, Deion is not going to try to bull rush an o-lineman on a DB blitz. Tendencies are more preferred over All or Nothing traits; 2k basketball uses tendencies. Their system still needs work but

If we really want to analyze this, why didn't Prima investigate and explore why all those DB's had 45's for blocking?! A frikkin 45?! Is that really necessary? But, EA does this because ratings are weighed and so as a standard players need supplemental ratings no matter how seldom they may use them because those ratings help with their overall ratings and help to appease the 'stat quo'.. Those ratings though, in their ignorance they apply them, those very ratings still impact the players personality and overall character. So now, you have guys who really should not have 45% impact in a block being able to have a standstill with a lineman because the game makes him think he has that potential. Hogwash! It's more poop being spit out the crap shooter.

Madden EA developers make their job easy by compartmentalizing so many things. By doing this they are able to side step issues and cover them up with glamorous marketing spiels about player traits, xp points, progressions, blah blah blah all the while they are avoiding the problem by. They don't have the courage nor the fortitude to take the problem head on let alone put the problem on its head and try to fix it from a new perspective.

EA dumbs down the AI in certain area's to appease the AI in other areas and this is their man thesis for gameplay: kill will. Kill his will and that will appease this player's Skill. That is the entirety of their system being played out over and over. There is not very much user control being exercised over the outcomes of chance and opportunity - that manufacturing is very much down at their own discretion and the ability to sieze the day is also very much scripted by their own decision making based on someone's skill versus another player's will. The one in superior skill remains superior because his opponent gets dumbed down. It's an invisible hand giving out donations and making the rich richer.

EA does not allow the game to play out organically and in a way that respects the full capacity of a player in real life because it requires too much effort on their part to allow the engine to just hum so they have to be so hands on - they don't trust nor understand the system anymore. Maybe it's due to changes in the department, maybe it's by the own volition of the head of management.

I have my own thread coming out regarding ratings and how Madden EA uses them. It's not about what they mean but how Madden EA uses their ratings and how those effects play out on the field. I appreciate the share of this link and will also share it in my thread.

Deuces

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 01-13-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Banned

Drtro's Arena

I'm young. I should go to college for computer science and create my own football video game. Then life will be complete.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
I'm young. I should go to college for computer science and create my own football video game. Then life will be complete.
Don't be so naive to think it's a one man operation though ;=l

I have friends who are graphic designers and a couple who even produce games albeit not mass marketed games but games nonetheless. One even develops games for Facebook. I have aspirations to be on a team with game designers to develop a football game but I don't think that opportunity or endeavor is reserved for the young.

Where there is a will, there is a way
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Banned

Drtro's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Don't be so naive to think it's a one man operation though ;=l

I have friends who are graphic designers and a couple who even produce games albeit not mass marketed games but games nonetheless. One even develops games for Facebook. I have aspirations to be on a team with game designers to develop a football game but I don't think that opportunity or endeavor is reserved for the young.

Where there is a will, there is a way
Even if I could at least create a much better AI system, I would give EA my entire life savings to use it. Haha. Not that EA ever implies Madden is a "simulation" sports game, they should at least partially give away their lisense to another industry to do so. Or take the money they have laying around to create a new NFL Headcoach game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »