Home

Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09.

This is a discussion on Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09.

Madden 2005 is probably the best Madden ever. I've heard the arguments for Madden 2003, and they are compelling. But look at the customization in 2005:

Custom hot routes.

Custom playbooks that can be used IN FRANCHISE

Full player editor.

Defensive hot routes/play-maker control.

Offensive play-maker control.

Custom packages/formation shifts.

Functioning CPU AI that actually works most of the time.

Madden 2005 is a very good game. It's probably the best Madden you could get right now, outside of '03. I really like it, and have started updating the rosters.

I will not buy Madden 2010 until I have rented it first. If it's not as good as Madden '05, I don't buy it at all. I suggest you do the same. Buy your favorite Madden from the bargain bin and compare it to the new game. If the new game isn't as good as the old, don't buy the new one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09.

this is a huge -ish storm.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

I agree that 05 was the best to date. Especially with the addition of all the past playoff teams of the previous 15 seasons (collector's edition only). Sure, they messed up a couple of the uniforms, but that was also a sweet addition.

Still... those days are done. I'd be pretty darn happy with a custom playbook option that was usable in Franchise, though.

Here's hoping 2010 puts all that and "the other" 05 game to rest...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I thought that 07 was possibly the best of the PS2/XBox/NGC generation.

The franchise mode had ben tuned very nicely, the running back had a truck stick, there wasa vision cone for those who like that, formation audibles, line protect, etc. 05 had a number of problems including the formation SHIFT where players on the D would get hooribly fatigued after just afew changes that by just trying to play the game would mean you were exploting it. As far as I recall the bugs and the features that had yet to be fine tuned made 05 the 2ed worst of that batch [looking at you 02.]

I think that a reason a lot of people over look 06 and 07 were becasue a lot of them moved to 360 by that point.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

Well, heck, why don't I just get Madden NFL 98 for PS One? Sure, the graphics would be horrid, but the gameplay was sweet. Or, better yet, the very first Madden for the very first Playstation?
C'mon..........

This is next-gen, and I'm hoping Madden 10 finally breaks through and shows us what next-gen REALLY looks like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I thought that 07 was possibly the best of the PS2/XBox/NGC generation.

The franchise mode had ben tuned very nicely, the running back had a truck stick, there wasa vision cone for those who like that, formation audibles, line protect, etc. 05 had a number of problems including the formation SHIFT where players on the D would get hooribly fatigued after just afew changes that by just trying to play the game would mean you were exploting it. As far as I recall the bugs and the features that had yet to be fine tuned made 05 the 2ed worst of that batch [looking at you 02.]

I think that a reason a lot of people over look 06 and 07 were becasue a lot of them moved to 360 by that point.
Also alot of us hated the cone. So we hate the "cone years".

I picked '05 because as a custom playbook guy, it was the last year that custom playbooks could be used in franchise. Now I bought '09 and the collector's edition. You could use your custom playbook in franchise, the problem is the playbooks were pretty much broken.

You couldn't store plays properly.

The plays you could make were VERY basic and weak.

There were no custom routes, pass rush lanes, or zones.

It was really a test pattern sold as a gimmick. They fix the play editor, give us back the one we had in '05, and I will shut the hell up. Until then, '05 is better than '09 and maybe '10.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

In terms of gameplay I give the nod to 09. Better animations and a better feel IMO.

In terms of depth and customization, Madden 05 kills 09. Franchise mode alone is miles better compared the one in 09.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

05 was the best imo. I hope 10 tops it.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »