Home

"Swing Stick Advanced!"

This is a discussion on "Swing Stick Advanced!" within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
"Swing Stick Advanced!"

Oh f*(@. Last week when I read zone-hitting was back I imagined the button based hitting system that 2k3-5 employed. I hate swing stick!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: "Swing Stick Advanced!"

No offense, but does this need it's own thread? It's been discussed in the features and preview threads. Not my call though, so I'll play along...lol

Sorry you hate it, but i think it's a good idea. One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.

To me, the only knock on it was the lack of any "aiming" or bat placement through the zone. Now, that problem appears to have been addressed (time will tell to what degree). If they pulled it off, it will be an excellent system (as the swing stick already better captures the total timing-including step and pivot) and might actually be the innovation some were thinking it would be.

I guess, other than the limitations of the older swing stick systems, I don't understand the hatred for swing stick.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Pro

Foo4Everlong's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm sorry, but I think pushing buttons is boring, but it'll probably still be an option to use most likely. Later
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.

To me, the only knock on it was the lack of any "aiming" or bat placement through the zone.
To be fair, the Swing Stick in 2K8 was an improvement over 2K7. You could "aim" your hits by pushing up at a left or right angle if you wanted to pull or push the ball, which wasn't an option in 2K7. It actually worked quite well once you got the hang of it and provided a lot more control than 2K7's Swing Stick.

So they have been refining it. I'm guessing this year will be even better.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
To be fair, the Swing Stick in 2K8 was an improvement over 2K7. You could "aim" your hits by pushing up at a left or right angle if you wanted to pull or push the ball, which wasn't an option in 2K7. It actually worked quite well once you got the hang of it and provided a lot more control than 2K7's Swing Stick.

So they have been refining it. I'm guessing this year will be even better.
You could influence...not aim. There's a difference...a big one for me. When I say aim, I'm talking bat placement.

In 2K8, swing stick worked "ok" IMO, but it was incomplete for me (as it missed the zone hitting type elements). The advertised additions this year have me anticipating how well the mechanic will work. It should take away that incomplete feel it had for me.

And I do agree they've been refining it. They have had a habit of switching controls every year for a while now though (speaking generally, not specifically to the hitting mechanic). That was my point...I'm glad they're sticking with it and continuing the refinements rather than once again scrapping and going to an older zone system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
You could influence...not aim. There's a difference...a big one for me. When I say aim, I'm talking bat placement.
Oh, gotcha. When you said aim, I thought you were talking about aiming the ball
Old 01-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
Oh f*(@. Last week when I read zone-hitting was back I imagined the button based hitting system that 2k3-5 employed. I hate swing stick!
You should wait until the game comes out before jumping to conclusions. Could be both. And it might be neither: as someone else mentioned, it might not even be true zone hitting with the swing stick. The 2K write-up says you can now "aim", and doesn't actually call it zone hitting.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Sorry you hate it, but i think it's a good idea. One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.
Swing stick + zone hitting is the one reason I'm even thinking of picking this game up. I'd already decided I wouldn't even bother renting it this year if they were going with timing-only hitting again. This one feature (along with step-influence) could revolutionize baseball games in the same way the skill stick has for video hockey.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »